British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Saudi Arabia - interview tips? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-arabia-interview-tips-527728/)

ForzaMinardi Apr 8th 2008 10:26 am

Saudi Arabia - interview tips?

Hi everyone, virginal newbie here.

Next week I have an interview for a job in Saudi Arabia with the Fawaz Alhokair Group, apparently otherwise known as "Alhokair". Does anyone have any experience of this company, or indeed any general tips in terms of "dos" and "don'ts" for the interview? The interview itself involves an element of establishing how much I have found out about Saudi life and business, so if anyone has some 'inside info' which may not be easily found via regular research and which may impress them, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbup:

lionheart Apr 8th 2008 11:18 am

Re: Saudi Arabia - interview tips?

Just come across as being open-minded and willing to accommodate change in your lifestyle. If you say that you don't drink, that would probably help.

ForzaMinardi Apr 8th 2008 11:24 am

Thanks mate! I suppose bacon sandwiches are off too?

Faction Apr 10th 2008 11:01 pm

I worked in Saudi for five years and generally found it OK. It really depends on the size of project you are working on and whether or not you are working under a "western" regime. I never worked for a Saudi company and you might find that they are more restrictive in the what you can and cannot do. I've not heard of the company you mention but then again it was a while ago when I was last there!! Best of luck anyway. Why are you attracted to Saudi? What industry are you in?

Faction

ForzaMinardi Apr 11th 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Faction (Post 6190774)
I worked in Saudi for five years and generally found it OK. It really depends on the size of project you are working on and whether or not you are working under a "western" regime. I never worked for a Saudi company and you might find that they are more restrictive in the what you can and cannot do. I've not heard of the company you mention but then again it was a while ago when I was last there!! Best of luck anyway. Why are you attracted to Saudi? What industry are you in?

Faction

Cheers for the advise - fellow Jock here fae Glesga!

It's a retail franchise company - apparently the biggest retailer in Saudi. I'm in marketing (but I'm an OK guy, honestly). I've been thinking about moving to the Gulf generally for a while, and the opportunity has come up now. I was thinking more Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc. than Saudi, but its a good job and the cash is good, so we'll see. I suspect Saudi is a bit 'in at the deep end' but sometimes that's the way to go.

nottmbantam Apr 11th 2008 10:25 am

I had my interview in London with two Saudi guys who work for the company. It was pretty much straight down the line - all of the interview was about the job,and my skills and experience. That would be my first piece of advice- make sure you can actually do the job they want you to.

There is - as I'm sure you have discovered - heaps of stuff on the internet about life in Saudi , you can also read The Deans article on this site on Life in Saudi.

I've only been here a few days, so it still a new experience for me, but do your homework on the company, what you can offer to them, and what you have learnt so far re KSA, you will be fine.

Good Luck.

Blue Cat Apr 11th 2008 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ForzaMinardi (Post 6192500)

It's a retail franchise company - apparently the biggest retailer in Saudi. I'm in marketing (but I'm an OK guy, honestly). I've been thinking about moving to the Gulf generally for a while, and the opportunity has come up now. I was thinking more Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc. than Saudi, but its a good job and the cash is good, so we'll see. I suspect Saudi is a bit 'in at the deep end' but sometimes that's the way to go.

another jock!! welcome!! ;)

submariner Sep 15th 2008 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ForzaMinardi (Post 6177113)
Hi everyone, virginal newbie here.

Next week I have an interview for a job in Saudi Arabia with the Fawaz Alhokair Group, apparently otherwise known as "Alhokair". Does anyone have any experience of this company, or indeed any general tips in terms of "dos" and "don'ts" for the interview? The interview itself involves an element of establishing how much I have found out about Saudi life and business, so if anyone has some 'inside info' which may not be easily found via regular research and which may impress them, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbup:

Hi ForzaMinardi,

How did your interview go with Alhokair? Are you working with them? I am considering a job opportunity with them and was wondering how your experience has been.

Would appreciate any inputs you can provide based on your experience with them.

Thanks!

CeeBee Sep 15th 2008 2:34 pm

If you don't mind can I ask you how you found the job?? i.e. was it an agency? And if you found much in Dubai?

The Dean Sep 15th 2008 2:40 pm

Think you'll find that ForzaMinardi hasn't been here since April.........

3 posts and then gone.

CeeBee Sep 15th 2008 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6785425)
Think you'll find that ForzaMinardi hasn't been here since April.........

3 posts and then gone.

Ah, well spotted. Typical. I'm just trying to help someone out.

celcite Sep 16th 2008 9:01 pm

Welcome To MiddleEast!
You are going to save heaps living in Saudi.Saudi have greater potential for savings as compared to GCC.There are few pros and cons in everyplace just look at the truck/camel loaded of cash you are going to save in MiddleEast (This cash will compensate each everything in your life).

arbroath_abroad Sep 17th 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by celcite (Post 6790332)
Welcome To MiddleEast!
You are going to save heaps living in Saudi.Saudi have greater potential for savings as compared to GCC.There are few pros and cons in everyplace just look at the truck/camel loaded of cash you are going to save in MiddleEast (This cash will compensate each everything in your life).

:D:D:D:D:D