Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Abaya question.

Saudi Abaya question.

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

InternationalPlayboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi Abaya question.

Here's a complete newbie question for you.

Moving to Saudi Arabia next week. My wife's bought a couple of grey coloured Abayas.

Is grey the new black or should she have bought black ones instead?

Any other Saudi fashion tips much appreciated.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice
Default Re: Saudi Abaya question.

In my experience of Saudi, black is the new black!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Work Widow
In my experience of Saudi, black is the new black!
Saudi doesn't do innovation.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Right....still time to get a refund.

Once you've tried black there's no going back, I suppose.

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

You got it!

Into what part of Saudi are you moving? Slightly differing attitudes towards Western women depending upon which part of Saudi.

However, my husband prefers the "keep a low profile" style of fashion when I'm there, so I wear abaya and keep scarf handy to cover head if/when required if approached by the Mutawa'ah. But he's in Khobar, the only ever so slightly relaxed eastern province.

If you're going to live on a large Aramco compound then usually within the compound western wear is fine, so I've been told.

As a matter of fact I was looking at abaya tonight in Bahrain, Bhd10 including scarf - boy did we get ripped off a few years ago!

Last edited by Work Widow; Nov 23rd 2013 at 7:58 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 8:01 pm
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Don't worry about color.
Here are some true answers:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0225417AA8zsAZ
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hence the "keep a low profile" style of fashion.

Northbadawi - I take exception your suggestion that my answer be untrue!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Work Widow
Into what part of Saudi are you moving?
The 'seaside town' of Dammam.

Not on a compound.

Last edited by InternationalPlayboy; Nov 23rd 2013 at 8:17 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Greenways is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm traveling to both Dammam and Riyadh every week for work and haven't yet seen a coloured abbaya. Most western women that I have seen are wearing the black plain version without a headscarf. Admittedly I don't get out in the malls much....
Old Nov 24th 2013, 2:17 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Grey you say? You should stay in UK with your racy ways !
Old Nov 24th 2013, 4:18 am
Just Joined

KSADoonhamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just moved to Khobar within the last fortnight I have seen no other colour other than black.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:35 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KSADoonhamer
Having just moved to Khobar within the last fortnight I have seen no other colour other than black.
There are some adventurous stripe or patterned effects around though . Seen some inserted leopard skin slits around too.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies.

I could spend all day bombarding this board with newbie questions but I won't. I'll just blunder around for 12 months and hope that 'well meaning but clueless' will keep me out of trouble.

It's worked for all the other countries I've lived in.....
Old Nov 24th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

I'd definitely be getting the abayas swapped for black if I were you. Anything that stands out is going to make people stare and here you don't stare at another mans wife or armageddon kicks off.

The question over whether coming in with one and buying more here is now the answer. They should be cheaper here, allowing you more luggage on the way over, and you get to buy the local style for Jeddah when you arrive, rather than falling victim to your missus wearing old fashions.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:44 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
I'd definitely be getting the abayas swapped for black if I were you. Anything that stands out is going to make people stare and here you don't stare at another mans wife or armageddon kicks off.

The question over whether coming in with one and buying more here is now the answer. They should be cheaper here, allowing you more luggage on the way over, and you get to buy the local style for Jeddah when you arrive, rather than falling victim to your missus wearing old fashions.
that's exactly what people do though . Just stand there staring at a woman .
MEA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.