British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Satwa?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/satwa-475747/)

Vitriol01 Aug 21st 2007 1:32 pm

Satwa??

Hi all,

This is my first post here so please be gentle ;)

I'm moving out to Dubai on a 6 month secondment with a City law firm. I'll be working at the DFIC. They're paying for my accommodation and are putting me up in an apartment (800 sq ft w/ gym, sauna and swimming pool) next to Dubai Civil Defence and opposite Rydges Hotel which, after consulting Google Earth, I see is on Satwa Roundabout.

Can anyone tell me about this area? It looks like one of the cheaper places. Is it nice, clean, safe? Is it an expat hangout? I am a bit concerned as it seems like the cool expat areas are Jumeirah etc. and that Satwa seems to be a bit of a dodgy area (according to Wikipedia :unsure:).

Cham128 Aug 21st 2007 2:07 pm

Re: Satwa??

I've only walked through there on a few occasions when I was visiting dubai... but i wouldn't say it was unsafe... busy is probably a better word for it but i doubt that BE's hang around there, they have way too much money lol

sounds like a huge place though

oktoberon Aug 21st 2007 2:09 pm

I live in Bur Dubai which is just around the corner from Satwa. For me it's great, plenty of life, some interesting watering holes Try the Kitchen for a good Indian or Ravi's if you're into Tandoori. The ridges has some great hang-outs, Catcus something or other, Aussie legends, Coconut grove.

But I'm single ;) If you're bringing your family it's still good. Try it and see, you will not be disappointed. The peeps here are a wonderful crowd and will help you any way they can. Around of applause for BE's :p

IndieG Aug 21st 2007 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 (Post 5216924)
Hi all,

I'm moving out to Dubai on a 6 month secondment with a City law firm. I'll be working at the DFIC. They're paying for my accommodation and are putting me up in an apartment (800 sq ft w/ gym, sauna and swimming pool) next to Dubai Civil Defence and opposite Rydges Hotel which, after consulting Google Earth, I see is on Satwa Roundabout.

Can anyone tell me about this area? It looks like one of the cheaper places. Is it nice, clean, safe? Is it an expat hangout? I am a bit concerned as it seems like the cool expat areas are Jumeirah etc. and that Satwa seems to be a bit of a dodgy area (according to Wikipedia :unsure:).

That would be on Al Dhiyafa street - nice area and very handy : PLENTY of restaurants and nice to walk around...
BC is the forum wikipedia on Dubai and she will give you plenty more info when she gets here;)

Vitriol01 Aug 21st 2007 2:24 pm

Many thanks for the replies. Was initially a bit concerned after doing some searches on 'Satwa' and coming up with some pretty nasty info (assaults, robberies etc. :ohmy:)...

Oh and I'm traveling by myself although my girlfriend might be coming over for a few weeks...

Cham128 Aug 21st 2007 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 (Post 5217191)
Many thanks for the replies. Was initially a bit concerned after doing some searches on 'Satwa' and coming up with some pretty nasty info (assaults, robberies etc. :ohmy:)...

dubai on the whole is a pretty safe place... besides most appartment buildings have security as well... enjoy yourself for 6 months!

oktoberon Aug 21st 2007 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 (Post 5217191)

If you're coming here on batchelor status (No Family) get in touch oh h*ll even if you do come with baggage, I'll give your the Grand Tour :p

Miss DD Aug 21st 2007 2:38 pm

Where you will be living is fine, really well located for lots of things, and it's not too far from Jumeirah 1 if you're feeling snobby!!

IndieG Aug 21st 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Miss DD (Post 5217254)
Where you will be living is fine, really well located for lots of things, and it's not too far from Jumeirah 1 if you're feeling snobby!!

Think you've managed to distract him:lol:

Cham128 Aug 21st 2007 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Miss DD (Post 5217254)

i think i'll be moving into deira :D

Inselaffen Aug 21st 2007 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 (Post 5216924)
Hi all,

Ive heard some bad things about Satwa but by the sound of it you'll be on the main road well away from what might be some of the dodgy side streets. There are plenty of restaurants around there and you'll only have a short drive into work in the morning. You will also be a very short taxi drive from the bars in the trade centre area.

Like Oktoberon I live in Bur Dubai which is pretty close to where you will be. Im not so keen on it though so I'm looking to join the expat hoards further out along SZR.

Which firm you coming over with? I did the LPC myself 2005-2006 but didnt end up going into law. PM me if you don't want to mention the firm on here.

Miss DD Aug 21st 2007 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5217260)

Which of course is no where near Jumeirah :lol:

The Dean Aug 21st 2007 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by oktoberon (Post 5217128)
I live in Bur Dubai which is just around the corner from Satwa. For me it's great, plenty of life, some interesting watering holes Try the Kitchen for a good Indian or Ravi's if you're into Tandoori. The ridges has some great hang-outs, Catcus something or other, Aussie legends, Coconut grove.

But I'm single ;) If you're bringing your family it's still good. Try it and see, you will not be disappointed. The peeps here are a wonderful crowd and will help you any way they can. Around of applause for BE's :p

Oktoberon is right about Aussie Legends, the bar on the ground floor of Rydges. If you're into sport it's especially good (the Rugby World Cup will be on there, if that's your thing, otherwise all the Premiership).

Bar food there is a good deal better than most conventional 'pub grub'.

The Satwa area has had a few problems, but they are outnumbered by the safety factor generally - it just 'feels' safe.

Walking down Diyafah Street will bring you into contact with any number of fantastic restaurants where you can eat like a king for under three quid.

That is all.

Inselaffen Aug 21st 2007 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5217260)

Ive just escaped from working over there, Glad I dont have to cross to that side anymore :)

Slingshot Aug 21st 2007 2:43 pm

Satwa is good fun and far better than Jumeirah any day if you want to mix with real people. Lived near there last year and had a blast. You won't go hungry in the area that's for sure