British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   SATELLITE TV IN SAUDI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/satellite-tv-saudi-571032/)

jia Nov 4th 2008 3:47 am

SATELLITE TV IN SAUDI

we will be moving to Riyadh at the end of nov ,and i am wondering what sort of satellite packages or providers are their for american and canadian channels.i know showtime and orbit in dubai but dont know if they are in riyadh.also if you guys know of any other providers plz let me know.i searches on the net and nothing comes up for saudi.I hope they have american channels and news there.

the other question is ,which bank is the best to transfer money to canada from riyadh, we have to send money back home to cover the mortgage and other stuff etc.we have to open our bank account and your advice will help us in making the decission.

Blue Cat Nov 4th 2008 3:49 am

Re: SATELLITE TV IN SAUDI

Showtime is available in KSA :)

jia Nov 4th 2008 3:57 am

Thank you Blue cat

spanky Nov 4th 2008 4:06 am

I use www.3click.tv and stream it. It's the first broadband tv site I found that works well. Theres 8000 episodes, ad free and complete series! But whats really cool is they pick up new shows within a few hours of their debut so it's the best option around these parts. It really works well. I would be curious if anyone that has an iPhone could rate the service. They supposedly stream right to the phone PC or Mac.
I connect direct to my TV and the audio/video quality is perfect.

good luck

cheers:thumbup:

jia Nov 4th 2008 4:11 am

which internet provider you use. my husband is having a hard time getting a DSL.can you recommend a good and fast company.

spanky Nov 4th 2008 5:45 am

Naseej is what I use, where do you live?

Alen1 Nov 4th 2008 6:42 am

Originally Posted by spanky (Post 6937858)
I use www.3click.tv and stream it. It's the first broadband tv site I found that works well. Theres 8000 episodes, ad free and complete series! But whats really cool is they pick up new shows within a few hours of their debut so it's the best option around these parts. It really works well. I would be curious if anyone that has an iPhone could rate the service. They supposedly stream right to the phone PC or Mac.
I connect direct to my TV and the audio/video quality is perfect.

good luck

cheers:thumbup:

S.
Does the signal go direct to TV? or is it PC to TV. Thanks A.

nottmbantam Nov 4th 2008 10:30 am

Hi - It will also depend on your compound where you end up. THe one I was on in Riyadh, had around 50 channels coming in, free of charge to the residents. These included BBC Prime, UKTV and the Sky SPorts equivalent - SHowSports. THere were also a few movie channels and documentary channels.

I could have installed my own dish and receiver to get an even bigger range of channels. Showtime has a few branches so you could go straight to them for installation, and there are a few otehr tv comapines who coudl do it for you.

Here in Jeddah, its pretty much the same, the compound pumps in a range of free tv cahnnels, which to be honest is enough for us - don't need any more!

jia Nov 4th 2008 1:13 pm

we are not n a cmpound we are in sulaiamanyia near olaya, off compound and so looking for a fsat and good internet provider and satellite tv as well.

benzonar Nov 4th 2008 2:20 pm

There is no such thing as a good internet provider in Saudi, they are all pretty useless.

For satellite, Orbit drfinitely operate in Riyadh and you can also get satellite DSL through them, but you pay a premium for it.

There is a company called Hatan who do satellite internet as well, but again is quite expensive.

jia Nov 5th 2008 2:46 am

i guess the problem my husband is facing is that some providers work best in specific areas and some dont, we need to use skype to call home so for sure need DSL.
i was trying to get the link for orbit dsl but their web site has no link, if you know ,can you please provide me with the web address.
Thanks

jia Nov 5th 2008 2:49 am

also if i am using showtime or orbit satellite can i us our american ntsc tv, someone was telling me that all decorders come with a ntsc to pal converter so it should not be a problem.advice on this as well please .

spanky Nov 24th 2008 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Alen1 (Post 6938125)
S.
Does the signal go direct to TV? or is it PC to TV. Thanks A.

for 3click.tv online streaming TV it goes to you PC Mac or iPhone. The iPhone streaming is really cool. but I connect a laptop directly to my tv using an S-Video cable and it works flawlessly.
Definately worth loooking into if you are without tv.

acoustic_toothbrush Nov 25th 2008 6:24 pm

Hi, I am considering applying for posts in Jeddah. I have two kids aged 7 and 5. They are crazy about spongebob squarepants - is it possible to get that on satellite? Any other comments about life for kids in Jeddah would be appreciated too. Cheers.

Cham128 Nov 25th 2008 6:30 pm

they allow TV out there? i thought it was considered haram?