Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which satellite network is best?

Which satellite network is best?

Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

hayrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which satellite network is best?

Hi All,

My search skills have left me empty handed so I am hoping you can help.

We arrived two weeks ago today (Abu Dhabi) and have been non-stop trying to set ourselves up with the usual stuff...work visa, accommodation, school places, bank accounts, electricity, gas, appliances and minimal essential furniture (while we wait two months for our stuff to float over). And all during reduced business hours while hubby works dawn to dusk.

Pleased to say we are making progress, however we are now faced with the most important of all decisions....which satellite box/network???

Can someone please explain the difference between the different providers and what you get? Or, more simply, recommend which is the best option.

We are from the UK/NZ, have two young children who loved Cbeebies. We are passionate about the MotorGP and spent most of our time watching Discovery Turbo (Wheeler Dealers and Car is Born). We also enjoy the rugby and cricket.

In a moment of exhaustion in the middle of last night, or perhaps the night before, up to our eyeballs in Al Mena appliances and heavy with the weight of our expenses so far we purchased two Al Jazerra Sport boxes. The website is in Arabic and the English navbutton takes me to another arabic page Hoping it wasn't a stupid purchase (wouldn't be my first!)

Any advice gratefully received.

Last edited by hayrah; Sep 8th 2010 at 6:43 pm. Reason: geography
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which satellite network is best?

Originally Posted by hayrah
Hi All,

My search skills have left me empty handed so I am hoping you can help.

We arrived two weeks ago today (Abu Dhabi) and have been non-stop trying to set ourselves up with the usual stuff...work visa, accommodation, school places, bank accounts, electricity, gas, appliances and minimal essential furniture (while we wait two months for our stuff to float over). And all during reduced business hours while hubby works dawn to dusk.

Pleased to say we are making progress, however we are now faced with the most important of all decisions....which satellite box/network???

Can someone please explain the difference between the different providers and what you get? Or, more simply, recommend which is the best option.

We are from the UK/NZ, have two young children who loved Cbeebies. We are passionate about the MotorGP and spent most of our time watching Discovery Turbo (Wheeler Dealers and Car is Born). We also enjoy the rugby and cricket.

In a moment of exhaustion in the middle of last night, or perhaps the night before, up to our eyeballs in Al Mena appliances and heavy with the weight of our expenses so far we purchased two Al Jazerra Sport boxes. The website is in Arabic and the English navbutton takes me to another arabic page Hoping it wasn't a stupid purchase (wouldn't be my first!)

Any advice gratefully received.
OSN Orbit Showtime Network , the best of a bad bunch .
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:39 am
Just Joined

hayrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which satellite network is best?

Thanks, yes, I think we'll be buying this next month! Have seen at a friends place that it has more UK style channels than Al Jaz.