Salary question?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

pharmacyprofessor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary question?

Dear all,
I'm offered a teaching job with AED 19576 per month including transportation and utilities and another AED 55000 for renting a place and a meagre education allowance AED 20000 for our two children.

A little bit about me- I'm an american national of asian origin and taught for almost 10 years in the US.

Any advice will be appreciated!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:01 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary question?

Where are you planning on moving to?

I can tell you that it is nowhere near enough for Dubai/UAE and I doubt enough for elsewhere either.

-
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Where are you planning on moving to?

I can tell you that it is nowhere near enough for Dubai/UAE and I doubt enough for elsewhere either.

-
Al Ain.............
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:07 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as Al Ain is in the UAE, the amount is question is nowhere near enough for a family. Your rent is probably going to start at AED 150k for a suitable place and you would have school fees on top, which for two children would be well in excess of AED 20K.

A rent allowance of just AED 55K is a joke.

-
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Well, as Al Ain is in the UAE, the amount is question is nowhere near enough for a family. Your rent is probably going to start at AED 150k for a suitable place and you would have school fees on top, which for two children would be well in excess of AED 20K.

A rent allowance of just AED 55K is a joke.

-
Meow,
I thank you for your replies!
I'm really confused now.
Are you serious with the numbers?
Do you think that the faculty are that well paid by the UAE universities?
I checked the UAE University in Al Ain website which is the best academic place to work in the UAE according to various reports and they also don't pay that high (150k) and provide campus housing for the faculy members.

I certainly appreciate your response!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:34 pm
Bored liberal

Deadly serious. Sorry.

One of the biggest issues in most of the UAE is the cost of rent. I don't know Al Ain very well, but did a quick search. I believe there is a scarcity of accommodation there too. Even if you were lucky enough to find somewhere cheaper, I cannot imagine that you could get away with less than AED 100K pa in rent and that would only be for a very small place.

I suggest you do some research yourself (there have been a few threads on here about Al Ain) and go back to the faculty pointing out that they are not offering enough.

For what it's worth, I know a couple of university teachers at a university in Sharjah and whilst their salaries aren't high, they do not have to pay anything for their accommodation (a 3 bed villa) or utilities.

Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Deadly serious. Sorry.

One of the biggest issues in most of the UAE is the cost of rent. I don't know Al Ain very well, but did a quick search. I believe there is a scarcity of accommodation there too. Even if you were lucky enough to find somewhere cheaper, I cannot imagine that you could get away with less than AED 100K pa in rent and that would only be for a very small place.

I suggest you do some research yourself (there have been a few threads on here about Al Ain) and go back to the faculty pointing out that they are not offering enough.

For what it's worth, I know a couple of university teachers at a university in Sharjah and whilst their salaries aren't high, they do not have to pay anything for their accommodation (a 3 bed villa) or utilities.

Good luck.
Thanks again for all your help and yes, i'm looking at various expats discussion forums and web sites and reviewing all possible threads to reach on a decision.

Thank you!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

The salary they're offering you is not bad. The trouble is the accommodation as Meow has told you - institutions just can't keep up. Where I work (in Abu Dhabi) 'distinguished professors' get a housing allowance of about 220k a year, which a year or two ago would have got you somewhere mighty fine. Now of course they're lucky if they can find a 2-bed apartment.
It might well be different in Al Ain, but in Abu Dhabi you would spend far, far more than your allowance on your kids' education costs.
You'd better hit the Al Ain threads to find out some more.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hawkhead View Post
The salary they're offering you is not bad. The trouble is the accommodation as Meow has told you - institutions just can't keep up. Where I work (in Abu Dhabi) 'distinguished professors' get a housing allowance of about 220k a year, which a year or two ago would have got you somewhere mighty fine. Now of course they're lucky if they can find a 2-bed apartment.
It might well be different in Al Ain, but in Abu Dhabi you would spend far, far more than your allowance on your kids' education costs.
You'd better hit the Al Ain threads to find out some more.
Hawkhead,
I could see a bright light at the far end of the dark tunnel. I 've checked out for the International English Schools in Al Ain (Cheoufit and AAEES). The school's tuition fee is almost AED 70000 for two children.
I'm not sure if i can negotiate? Though, I did ask them for negotiation........
I'll keep you guys posted on any further developments......

Regards.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:13 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Hello Mr. Professor. Where in PA are you? I will be moving from Reading to Al Ain with my family (4 of us) in January. I've asked many of the same questions myself and found everyone here to be extremely helpful. For housing prices I regularly check the Gulf News Ads section. The website is GNAds4U.com.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 View Post
Hello Mr. Professor. Where in PA are you? I will be moving from Reading to Al Ain with my family (4 of us) in January. I've asked many of the same questions myself and found everyone here to be extremely helpful. For housing prices I regularly check the Gulf News Ads section. The website is GNAds4U.com.
Hello Aikman,
I'm from the northwest part of the state. I havn't accepted the offer yet and still want to negotiate with the University. Thank you for the information about the housing ads.
Regards.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Hello Pennsylvania folks. I live in Al Ain with my husband, and we pay 65, 000 yearly for a 4 bedroom, older construction villa. We are very lucky. Our rent is not included in hubby's salary , so we pay it ourselves.
Al Ain is growing, but a bit of on the ground footwork helped us get our house. We drove around and asked people....
We have beeen here 18 months , and yes, the market is rising............
But, there are still affordable places available., if you want to do the work and explore.
Not hire an estate agent.etc.
It is a very different lifestyle and culture from the USA.. definately come for a visit first.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

Hi ,

You could find 55000 with two bedroom and one living room , but not very large.

remember there is difference between al ain university of science and technology and united arab emirates.

Al Ain university is a private university , a 3 years old univ. , it has been lots of problems happens on it , but it seems doing OK , as the owner of it is very high and much more than VIP people in Al Ain And Abudhabi.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

This is a different point - but are you sure you want to be sending your kids to a Chouefait (sp?) school - I've never heard anything good about the one in AD.
Sorry to give you more negativity but it's better that you know in advance. How old are your kids?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

My American friends sent their children to Chouefait school and they were so impressed but it is personal choice at the end of the day. I have just posted on the Living in Al Ain thread and realistically I dont think your package is enough even for Al Ain. An average 3 bedroom villa/townhouse/duplex is now costing around AED100,000 and the villas advertised in the papers are normally six upwards villas on the edge of the desert, the other week there was no accommodation for rent at all in the newspapers. The rental increase in the last year is mainly due to people who work in Dubai/Abu Dhabi moving up here and commuting as they get more for their money here and there isnt enough accommodation to go round any more.

Good luck what ever you decide to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.