British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Salary proof? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/salary-proof-934827/)

Jammydodger2016 Sep 15th 2020 10:40 am

Salary proof?

Why do companies ask for of current salary proof, is this an actual requirement in the HR Process? Can someone please enlighten me ....

Millhouse Sep 15th 2020 11:12 am

Re: Salary proof?

1. Because they have no confidence in their ability to assess your worth
2. So they can screw you - offering you as little extra as possible to make you move
3. Candidates lie about their pay and grade/title in this region.

Jammydodger2016 Sep 15th 2020 11:34 am

I agree with you on point 3 but also proving the salary results in 1 and 2 happening you just cant win i guess

Jammydodger2016 Sep 15th 2020 2:11 pm

I have inboxed you 😕

co durham boy Sep 16th 2020 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Jammydodger2016 (Post 12910128)
Why do companies ask for of current salary proof, is this an actual requirement in the HR Process? Can someone please enlighten me ....

When anyone has ever asked me for this I've eloquently and professionally just told them to fu** off .

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 16th 2020 10:22 am

I'll always ask someone for their current salary because I want to know. It's an indicator of lots of things and helpful data.

I spend my life arguing internally that a JOB pays an amount of money and do we think that persons i capable of doing that job?

I get lied to by candidates all the time. I've never, ever asked for a payslip though. I'd tell someone to **** off if they asked me. Barely anyone ever says they'd rather not tell me their current package, those that do might end up winners or get what they'd have got anyway. If someone doesn't tell me what they're on I just start the fun and games and throw low numbers around until the conversation gets serious. It's all a game and I love it.

Other than that, Millhouse is right.

weasel decentral Sep 16th 2020 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jammydodger2016 (Post 12910128)

Tell them to get ****ed. Alternatively tell them that you will be in breach of your company's confidentiality agreement.

Jammydodger2016 Sep 16th 2020 3:34 pm

I just feel like it can be used to exploit candidates sometimes and be used a cost saving method any time that I have refused to share my salary the reply has been ‘ we can no longer proceed with the interview process ’ next time i will tell them to $:&&;?3$/!/

i have friends who shared and got offered an extra $500 then what they are making now when the job advertised had the salary mark alot higher

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 17th 2020 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Jammydodger2016 (Post 12910816)
I just feel like it can be used to exploit candidates sometimes and be used a cost saving method any time that I have refused to share my salary the reply has been ‘ we can no longer proceed with the interview process ’ next time i will tell them to $:&&;?3$/!/

i have friends who shared and got offered an extra $500 then what they are making now when the job advertised had the salary mark alot higher

It's very simple.

Current, tricky market;
You're on 20,000 a month? Cool.
Offer comes at 20,000 (tops)

Better, busy market;
You're on 20,000 a month? Cool.
Offer comes at 20,000.

I hired a lady once who wouldn't tell me her current, cool, didn't care. We could pay 40k. Told her that.
Offered her 40k, she accepted and stayed for many years.
Told me when pissed she was on 18k in her previous company and that she played me. I laughed and told her I didn't get played, I don't give a shit what people earn as long as they join, stay, perform and are happy. If it's 10k or 100k, I couldn't give a shit, I just want to know the number you will accept (which isn't the number you 'want').

I accepted a tiny increase to change jobs earlier this year. I might have even taken a decrease, but I wouldn't have told them that and nobody asked what the 'magic number' was.

Work out that magic number, ask them what the job pays, then if you're in the right area, tell them you're looking for X,000. See what happens.