Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Salary package for assist professors

Salary package for assist professors

Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:00 am
Just Joined

glaswegian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary package for assist professors

I am applying for a couple of Assist Professor (Maths) jobs in the Middle East (mainly UAE). I am just about to finish my PhD and have four years of teaching experience. I guess most of the universities offer accommodation, subsidized medical insurance, air tickets etc. What would be an ideal annual salary I should be asking for (in US$)? I don’t want to quote a very high salary neither very low.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary package for assist professors

what have they offered you? in Dirhams please I don't do USD. I know that regular Teachers here in Dubai don't get a great salary but they do get accomodation etc.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

I know someone who used to work as assistant professor in physics in Al Ain just after he had his PhD from USA. They covered his accommodation (large 4 bed flat), flights and medical as you said. Then they paid him only 11,000 dirhams/month (3000 USD), but this was back in 2005 so I'm sure it will be much higher now.

It's better to check with someone who is teaching there now as my friend went back to USA.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Where I work you'd get about Dhs20k per month, plus accommodation (but that's a tricky issue at the moment), 1 flight home per year, education allowance if you've got kids, medical, electricity and water, plus stuff like a furniture allowance and interest-free car loan.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Agree, assistant professor salary is around 20K Dhs per month plus accomodation, plus medical, plus ticket.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

No doubt that 20K AED/month plus the above mentioned benefits is an excellent package. Being a fresh PhD with 4 years of experience, still I am a bit confused what I should answer for the expected salary. I don’t want to sound too greedy in the beginning. Would like to hear from someone who recently joined. Do you really have to negotiate with these people?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

It is more likely that you will be told what your salary will be rather than them asking you how much you are expecting.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:39 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
It is more likely that you will be told what your salary will be rather than them asking you how much you are expecting.
I disagree,

they will tell you what they would like to pay you,

then the negotiating commences..
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glaswegian
No doubt that 20K AED/month plus the above mentioned benefits is an excellent package. Being a fresh PhD with 4 years of experience, still I am a bit confused what I should answer for the expected salary. I don’t want to sound too greedy in the beginning. Would like to hear from someone who recently joined. Do you really have to negotiate with these people?
My friend I referred to earlier told me that the University in Al Ain only takes people who had PhD from UK or USA. He also said that their rates are fixed as far as I remember. However, I'm not sure if this is the case for every university
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

I will have a ‘UK PhD’ soon, but the 4 years of teaching experience comes with the lecturing/mentoring experience as a part of my doctoral training. I hope US$5000/month (~18K AED) will not be rated as a greedy quote. I am in the initial stages of application and had been asked to answer the expected salary. As I am aware, subjects like Mathematics always have demands in the Middle East academic sector, but I think they already have a large number of qualified people.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:01 am
Just Joined

pharmacyprofessor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey ,
I'm also in process of applying for a faculty position. Infact, i'm hired after a phone interview and promised to receive an official offer by Sunday. Could you please tell me the University you are currently negotiating with? Is it UAE University in Al Ain or some other University?

Thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

My experience in the UAE is that there is very little negotiation, but I guess not all unis etc have the same procedures.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I will have a ‘UK PhD’ soon.
Don't curse the viva.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

farouha is an unknown quantity at this point

I am applying for a couple of Assist Professor (Maths) jobs in the Middle East (mainly UAE). I am just about to finish my PhD and have four years of teaching experience. I guess most of the universities offer accommodation, subsidized medical insurance, air tickets etc. What would be an ideal annual salary I should be asking for (in US$)? I don’t want to quote a very high salary neither very low.

I would like to ask whether a 22000dirhams+benefits(including housing) is a good offer for a faculty position in AD (PhD+8 years teching experience).
What do you think about living in Khalifa city in Abu Dhabi?
Thks
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe a little on the low side with the amount of experience you have, but not far off.
I'll leave people who live in KCA to give you more info, but it's off the island so pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.