Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Salalah - anyone been?

Salalah - anyone been?

Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salalah - anyone been?

Anyone know anything about what can be done in Salalah at the weekend?

Jazeera got some excellent cheap flights out there, sadly all in the middle of the day but might make a weekend of it some time this month.

Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:08 am
W10

Default Re: Salalah - anyone been?

not really worth going until the khareef

Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:18 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by W10
Translation please...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Translation please...
it's a brief monsoon period when it goes misty and green and beautiful. I tried to time a trip appropriately last year but it didn't work out. I'm determined to go while I'm still here though!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
ta
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I visited Salalah about 5 years ago. Drove from Muscat

High summer is the best time - get Monsoon rains overnight and cool compared to the Gulf.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn - reasonable prices, pool, private beach.

It has a real end of the world feel to it. Drive either direction along the coast to find glorious deserted beaches, rocky headlands, small 'traditional' villages with ancient cemeteries, dramatic hairpin roads on the route out to the Yemeni border.

A small museum with an excellent display of Wilfred Thesiger photographs of the area 60 years ago or so.

It is NOT a nightlife destination! Like a smaller, quieter Al Ain. Not many western tourists at all, at least not back then. Not everyone's cup of tea - but I loved it down there, and have half a mind (indeed!!) to drive there from DXB to visit again if I get chance and time.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:39 am
W10

It is worth going twice - once at the start of the monsoon season and once a week after it ends.

Salalah is a beautiful place, and if you feel like it, you can drive into Yemen.

Also there are some interesting religious sites there.

Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I wasted all of last year trying to find like minded people to explore such places with.

Now I'm just going to bite the bullet and go alone.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:13 pm
W10

dude - sorry man. i've done almost all of the middle east now.

Heading to Iran and Sudan later this year, then focusing on Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

Go to Salalah. When you do, rent a Landcruiser and crash around all day long...its great fun.

Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:23 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
I wasted all of last year trying to find like minded people to explore such places with.

Now I'm just going to bite the bullet and go alone.
If you're into diving it may be worth a trip to the Kuriya Muriya islands. At least you will have been somewhere that W10 hasn't been!
Agree with the rent a car and drive bit- one day straight into the hills, next day up the coast and the next day down the coast. Don't get too close to the Yemen though!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

as it happens I am going after all - on a work trip tomorrow night, working Thursday but Thursday evening and friday free until a mid-afternoon flight back...

Anyone suggest what's good to do at this time of year which would fit in to Friday morning?

From what I've found online it's all about the frankincense (but surely the souq's'll be shut on Friday...) and Job's tomb and blowholes (but can these be done in a morning? - I'll have a car but unlikely to be a 4WD)

W10 you're an intrepid local traveller... tips appreciated
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:59 pm
W10

Wadi Darbat is a must, and the nearby waterfall is also awesome

Some of the forts are cool

The blowholes can be awesome.

The Yemen coast road is brilliant.

The gravity road is crap.

Jobs tomb is hillarious...the guy there asks if you want to have a look

The prophet's camel's footprints place is good too

The souq isn't that interesting

Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
Wadi Darbat is a must, and the nearby waterfall is also awesome

Some of the forts are cool

The blowholes can be awesome.

The Yemen coast road is brilliant.

The gravity road is crap.

Jobs tomb is hillarious...the guy there asks if you want to have a look

The prophet's camel's footprints place is good too

The souq isn't that interesting
thanks! What can be done in a morning and in a normal car?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:35 pm
W10

blowholes, yemen mountain pass and wadi darbat

About 50km apart but the drive is nice

Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jvr20
thanks! What can be done in a morning and in a normal car?
I didn't see the Prophet's camel's footprints or the gravity road, but I did all the other sights W10 mentions in a Peugeot 406 saloon, so nothing special vehicle wise required. (Wadi and waterfall by foot, but visible from asphalt road.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.