Sailing Club

Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sailing Club

Any of you guys have some experience with sailing clubs in Dubai? Am looking into the Dubai Offshore Sailing Club, seems a nice place but would like to hear some personal experiences

I mainly sail dinghy's (laser, bit hobie cat etc), and would be needing to rent/borrow boats from the club. What are the best options?

Last edited by Euc-; Jun 16th 2009 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sailing Club

I only know about the DOSC, and they have a very long waiting list to become a member. But there's an alternative list for people who are interested in being crew members for recreational sailing.

The Jebel Ali club may have spaces available.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:24 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Euc-
Any of you guys have some experience with sailing clubs in Dubai? Am looking into the Dubai Offshore Sailing Club, seems a nice place but would like to hear some personal experiences

I mainly sail dinghy's (laser, bit hobie cat etc), and would be needing to rent/borrow boats from the club. What are the best options?
DOSC is a non profit members club for sailors and is a great place if you are keen on that type of thing (apart from the ongoing sewage issue).

In the past it has been over subscribed and quite difficult to become a member of. With the current ongoing Dubai exodus the waiting list is apparently much reduced. So provided you have active interest in sailing/yachting it is well worth picking up an application form from the gate and filling it in.

You can get lessons from the club RYA instructors (possible waiting list) they have, and it is possible to hire dinghys. Web page below:

http://dosc.ae/Default.asp

One word of caution: The admin woman there has got to be one of the most miserable gits I have come accross in quite a while - but once you have managed to get her to do her job, answer any questions you have about joining the club, filled in the form, completed a sailing CV, provided evidence of residence visa, provided photos, secured the required proposers and seconders signatures etc....it is all plain sailing!

Good luck and don't let her put you off!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
DOSC is a non profit members club for sailors and is a great place if you are keen on that type of thing (apart from the ongoing sewage issue).

In the past it has been over subscribed and quite difficult to become a member of. With the current ongoing Dubai exodus the waiting list is apparently much reduced. So provided you have active interest in sailing/yachting it is well worth picking up an application form from the gate and filling it in.

You can get lessons from the club RYA instructors (possible waiting list) they have, and it is possible to hire dinghys. Web page below:

http://dosc.ae/Default.asp

One word of caution: The admin woman there has got to be one of the most miserable gits I have come accross in quite a while - but once you have managed to get her to do her job, answer any questions you have about joining the club, filled in the form, completed a sailing CV, provided evidence of residence visa, provided photos, secured the required proposers and seconders signatures etc....it is all plain sailing!

Good luck and don't let her put you off!
Cool, are you a member?

I've send them an e-mail yesterday anyway, enquiring about any possibility's. Only problem is the "sailing cv". Basically I owned a laser for a bunch of years, was not a member of a club or anything, but would go out on my own or with some friends who owned a boat as well in the weekends. Few seasons of racing (although never won anything, but that wasn't the goal anyway). And well.. that is it! Oh, I did sail Hobie cat for a while. And no RYA qualifications, since the country where I'm from has a different system, which is technically not internationally recognized.

The proposer and seconder, well I don't know anyone, but guess if I take a few "lessons" I'll get to know people soon enough.

Ahwell, I'll just await their reply (if they reply to e-mail), and otherwise I'll just have to drop in when I move out there in about a month. I am curious about the membership fees though..

Last edited by Euc-; Jun 17th 2009 at 11:35 am.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:48 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Euc-
Cool, are you a member?

I've send them an e-mail yesterday anyway, enquiring about any possibility's. Only problem is the "sailing cv". Basically I owned a laser for a bunch of years, was not a member of a club or anything, but would go out on my own or with some friends who owned a boat as well in the weekends. Few seasons of racing (although never won anything, but that wasn't the goal anyway). And well.. that is it! Oh, I did sail Hobie cat for a while. And no RYA qualifications, since the country where I'm from has a different system, which is technically not internationally recognized.

The proposer and seconder, well I don't know anyone, but guess if I take a few "lessons" I'll get to know people soon enough.

Ahwell, I'll just await their reply (if they reply to e-mail), and otherwise I'll just have to drop in when I move out there in about a month. I am curious about the membership fees though..
See PM
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thnx for the info