Reload this Page >

Sahara Towers Compound

Sahara Towers Compound

Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Butterich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sahara Towers Compound

Hello guys,

I finally decided to move to the kingdom and I am currently puzzling where to live in Riyadh. I did research in the forum and other expat's blogs etc. Seems that this is quite a tough question.

I will be working in the Kingdom Tower and would prefer to have something very nearby. At first I was convinced that I could be living within everybody else just renting an appartment in Olaya but I start getting concerns because my wife might join later this year.

Is Sahara Towers a viable option and/or is there something nearby offering a good alternative. I couldn't find anything specific on Sahara - do they have anything like a pool, gym, kindergarden etc.

In case anybody lives there and can give me some insight I would be very thankful!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice
Default Re: Sahara Towers Compound

I have a colleague there.
He pays 60,000 SAR a year for a one bedroomed apartment, they are big but unfurnished. It has a pool & gym but a bit tatty.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks prwatts for your help. Have you visited the Sahara Towers and do you know their street name so I can see the exact location in google map or something like that. I have been searching but all I can find is that it seems to be near a Jarir Bookstore.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

it is sandwiched between King Fahd and Olaya Roads - i.e. the two main thoroughfares in the area.

Great location - no longer a Western compound though.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

thank you saudiflares!

So would this be within walking distance to the Kingdom Tower.

Does not being a Western Compound mean that there are mostly Asian/Indians? Are there any safety measures like with the other compounds and are there Arabs living in there?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

I am fairly sure this is it. I have been in there. It is big.

Copy-paste these co-ordinates into the search box in Google and hit search:

Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:03 pm
Ethan

EthanB will become famous soon enough

Sahara is pretty ghetto. They do have some outdoor stuff for your wife, but it looks like a prison. That said, I've got a friend who's there and paying 60k/year for a furnished 2br. There are lots of housing options in the community & I'm sure your wife would be fine in the area as long as she's into shopping.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot for sending the coordinates in google map. I am so happy to get some help here because quite some compounds seem not to have webpages etc.

EthanB thank you! My wife likes shopping so she would be fine but she is worried about safety. Is this an issue in Sarah because you say it is ghetto? Any chance your friend has some photos of the compound and knows how big the different flats are? Sorry to bother with so many questions. Help is deeply appreciated because I don't want to arrive in Riyadh and pray to organize housing within like 2 weeks.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Security is a very small problem anywhere in KSA but a woman should not be out of the compound alone - if she is with another woman or her husband it is better. Do not let security be a concern, but the limitations on a woman's movements are more of a concern except when she is with her family.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prwatts
but a woman should not be out of the compound alone -
I know what you are getting at but that sounds a bit sinister. No problem for women to travel solo to malls in my opinion. Know a few female western nurses/teachers who have no worries buzzing around the place solo. Good to have a regular/reliable taxi driver though - plus there's a female friendly service (may only be for employees of certain hospitals/schools though).
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Hi,

It all depends on your life style, obvioudsly renting inside a western compound would be overwhemingly exhorbitant for a single man. Even social life is not interactively meaningful unless you do consider saying hi, what`s up, ru ok and so forth A social life...

well everyone is unique that some hardworking brit`s people prefer to shrink their expenses to the ultimate limit in order to expand their savings to the best ..in particular the ones who head KSA. in this regard they ask company to provide them a little accommodation nearby plave of work for reasonable rent..Do not worry security spread everywhere in Riyadh.
I shared my decent apartment with another foreigner weeks ago after couple of years scathing our pockets for prestigious places.

Good Luck
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Shawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=NaimTakieddin;9104972]Hi,

It all depends on your life style, obvioudsly renting inside a western compound would be overwhemingly exhorbitant for a single man. Even social life is not interactively meaningful unless you do consider saying hi, what`s up, ru ok and so forth A social life...

well everyone is unique that some hardworking brit`s people prefer to shrink their expenses to the ultimate limit in order to expand their savings to the best ..in particular the ones who head KSA. in this regard they ask company to provide them a little accommodation nearby plave of work for reasonable rent..Do not worry security spread everywhere in Riyadh.
I shared my decent apartment with another foreigner weeks ago after couple of years scathing our pockets for prestigious places.

Good Luck[/QUOT

anybody else understand this?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Your dyslexia should have been treated at early childhood however you sound a bit funny
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

saeed409 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Butterich
Hello guys,

I finally decided to move to the kingdom and I am currently puzzling where to live in Riyadh. I did research in the forum and other expat's blogs etc. Seems that this is quite a tough question.

I will be working in the Kingdom Tower and would prefer to have something very nearby. At first I was convinced that I could be living within everybody else just renting an appartment in Olaya but I start getting concerns because my wife might join later this year.

Is Sahara Towers a viable option and/or is there something nearby offering a good alternative. I couldn't find anything specific on Sahara - do they have anything like a pool, gym, kindergarden etc.

In case anybody lives there and can give me some insight I would be very thankful!
The problem with Sahara Towers is that it is next to a building site (Olya Towers Construction) and surrounded by two of the main roads in Riyadh (Olya & King Fahd).

The location is in the centre of the city.

Although it may seem like walking distance to Kingdom Tower...the pavement unfortunately does not exist all the way. So you will be walking at your own peril. (when you see the driving here you will understand).

Safety & security is not a problem (compared to the UK, its very safe here)

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the help. From what I understand my wife could be experiencing some quite life within the compound and would also be able to go on a shopping spree if she wants to.

As safety seem not much of an issue as long she keep a low profile and stays in a group with others I guess location and amenities are key in the selection of our housing.

I heard that Kingdom Compound would be a great compound. Would this be near Kingdom Tower locationwise? I am basically looking for something where I just have to take a very short taxiride to be in the office (Kingdom Tower)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.