safe driving and taxis

safe driving and taxis

Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

cookiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default safe driving and taxis

Hi getting my head round practicalities of transportation:
*How safe/crazy is the driving in dubai? Be honest
Had a look at the monster highways..eeek! thats quite apart from not having driven on the other side of the road!
*Ive heard UAE had highest rate of accidents is that right?

Been told the cost of hiring a car would be around 21,000 dirahms per month..
*How does car rental compare with taxis? Say a 20-30mins taxi ride drive to and from work? How much would that cost?
*In other words, is a car essential to get about? Or could I manage also on taxis? heard they are cheap?
Is it true all westerners have cars?!
Thanks so much in advance..tried the search function thx for tip
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: safe driving and taxis

Originally Posted by cookiegirl
*How does car rental compare with taxis? Say a 20-30mins taxi ride drive to and from work? How much would that cost?
*In other words, is a car essential to get about? Or could I manage also on taxis? heard they are cheap?
We paid less than AED100 per day for a rental car when our Jeep was off the road for 10 days. The price you have been quoted must be for a top of the range SUV with all the trimmings. Mind you, taxis are pretty unreliable.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi getting my head round practicalities of transportation:
*How safe/crazy is the driving in dubai? Be honest
Had a look at the monster highways..eeek! thats quite apart from not having driven on the other side of the road!
*Ive heard UAE had highest rate of accidents is that right?

2100 dhs a month I think you will find is closer to the mark.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour lost his life in an accident last Friday leaving behind his wife and young child

I feel safer on the road when there's lots of traffic - at least the idiots can't speed then.....
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:34 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
My neighbour lost his life in an accident last Friday leaving behind his wife and young child

I feel safer on the road when there's lots of traffic - at least the idiots can't speed then.....
IndieG, that's terrible. Thoughts and best wishes to the family.

Road safety is the single biggest issue in the UAE. No exceptions.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
2100 dhs a month I think you will find is closer to the mark.
yep, the 0 has been 'added in conversion'..

I just hope for her sake (and ours) that she isnt going to work for a bank..
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:48 am
Just Joined

So sorry to hear that-that doesnt inspire confidence driving out there!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear that-that doesnt inspire confidence driving out there!
Well the driving can be pretty hairy at times, I get a taxi to and from work as it works out cheaper than hiring a car and some of the taxi drivers are seriously mental, I am not beyond telling them to chill the F*** out and slow down... :curse:

The Mrs drives and it feels safer although its the other drivers which scare me the most, last weekend we nearly got obliterated twice in the same journey, in a cab...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Default cheaper to taxi or hire

Thanks for the reply..was kinda imagining the road madness.
Wow is it really cheaper to get taxis than hire a car? Thats greaaat news..was hoping I could out of driving How much do you spend on taxis a week??
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Default Re: cheaper to taxi or hire

Thanks for the reply..was kinda imagining the road madness.
Wow is it really cheaper to get taxis than hire a car? Thats greaaat news..was hoping I could out of driving How much do you spend on taxis a week??
that depends on where you are coming from and going to!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Yeah ok ..say to get to and from work in dubai..20-30min taxi ride 5 days a week?? How long are your rides and how much is that? Do you have a deal with a taxi company? Guess this would work out cheaper.. As long as the taxi fares were less or same as hiring that would be fab!

If taxis are cheaper than hiring..why dont more people do it? Was under impression it was absolutely essential to get a car out there?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:21 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
We paid less than AED100 per day for a rental car when our Jeep was off the road for 10 days. The price you have been quoted must be for a top of the range SUV with all the trimmings. Mind you, taxis are pretty unreliable.
is that you in your new profile pic??
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:22 pm
Concierge

Yeah ok ..say to get to and from work in dubai..20-30min taxi ride 5 days a week?? How long are your rides and how much is that? Do you have a deal with a taxi company? Guess this would work out cheaper.. As long as the taxi fares were less or same as hiring that would be fab!

If taxis are cheaper than hiring..why dont more people do it? Was under impression it was absolutely essential to get a car out there?
I prefer having my own car, hate using taxis, they never turn up anyway.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:22 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
Well the driving can be pretty hairy at times, I get a taxi to and from work as it works out cheaper than hiring a car and some of the taxi drivers are seriously mental, I am not beyond telling them to chill the F*** out and slow down... :curse:

The Mrs drives and it feels safer although its the other drivers which scare me the most, last weekend we nearly got obliterated twice in the same journey, in a cab...
I tell my cab driver to put geordie bird and catboy on, turn the AC up, slow down, get off his phone and watch the road - nowt wrong with that, I spend AED 100 a day on cabs mind you, it soon ads up, I really should learn to drive and buy a motor,

saying that after a hard days work its ncie to zone out with my ipod on, and also nice to read on the way in to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.