Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Safe beaches in Dubai

Safe beaches in Dubai

Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Safe beaches in Dubai

There was another article in one of the free newsrags saying that the Dubai beaches are unsafe to swim in, and that the area around the Dubai offshore yacht club is once again particlarly affected.

Does that mean all of the beaches in Dubai, from Jumeira public beach all the way down to the beaches in front of JBR, are "unsafe" to swim in? The article implied so, but if that's the case, then why is Jumeira beach park still open, or why aren't warning signs posted at all the beaches?

I go to the beach fairly often, usually either the Jumeira public beach or the JBR beaches by the marina. I'd just like to know for once or for all that the water in those areas are safe, or at least relatively safe?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:02 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safe beaches in Dubai

Originally Posted by Ethos83
There was another article in one of the free newsrags saying that the Dubai beaches are unsafe to swim in, and that the area around the Dubai offshore yacht club is once again particlarly affected.

Does that mean all of the beaches in Dubai, from Jumeira public beach all the way down to the beaches in front of JBR, are "unsafe" to swim in? The article implied so, but if that's the case, then why is Jumeira beach park still open, or why aren't warning signs posted at all the beaches?

I go to the beach fairly often, usually either the Jumeira public beach or the JBR beaches by the marina. I'd just like to know for once or for all that the water in those areas are safe, or at least relatively safe?
JBR beaches should be fine and not affected by sewage spills at the Dubai offshore yacht club...as longshore currents are to the east.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:42 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
JBR beaches should be fine and not affected by sewage spills at the Dubai offshore yacht club...as longshore currents are to the east.
I am not convinced that the problem was limited to the yacht club. It was perhaps worse there and they noticed it quicker.

There were reports of tankers dumping loads in Jebel Ali and other places.

It makes sense, if these guys are dumping then they are going to head out of town and to different places to avoid detection.

I got bad earache in both ears after swimming at Jumerah beach park a day or two before the news first hit the headlines. Considering that the authorities had the beach open, then I simply don't trust them to determine water quality. I recall they said everything was fine even while the sailing club tests were saying it definitely was not.

Something to think about over the next few months - if you dump a big tanker load of poop into a storm drain it is not going to run all the way to the sea. It will just lay in the storm drain. You'd got to pump in quite a few loads before the crap makes it all the way to the sea. So I reckon many storm drains in Dubai are still full of crap. The next big rain will see it all washed out - so even if you are brave enough to chance it now, don't think about it for a few weeks after the next big rain.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:53 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Al Mamzar Beach should be fine...but please don't all go there coz we like our peace and quiet. The last thing we want to see are loads of randy Brits humping away on the sand
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lionheart
Al Mamzar Beach should be fine...but please don't all go there coz we like our peace and quiet. The last thing we want to see are loads of randy Brits humping away on the sand
maybe you could sell tickets... and then start taking bets on who gets arrested first... after that you could take bets on who gets let off first