British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   S1N Tax in Oman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/s1n-tax-oman-925663/)

eastrunner Jun 12th 2019 5:24 am

S1N Tax in Oman

Starting from the 15th of June the prices of alcohol, cigarettes and p0rk is increasing by 100% and carbonated drinks by 50% (Probably a good thing), so going to have to pay 10 quid+ for a pint a the crown plaza bar going forward from what I hear.....as is things are sold at quite a premium locally....is it the same story elsewhere in the GCC? what are the options DIY beer kits, date wine.

gottheTshirt Jun 13th 2019 10:54 am

Re: S1N Tax in Oman

Bel Vino wine kits made from dried fruit - take it through customs as breakfast cereal. Served me well over the last 45 years in Libya, Pakistan, KSA, Kuwait, Yemen etc.

hnd Jun 16th 2019 9:12 am

Maybe (:lol:) the bars/restaurants will swallow most of that 100% increase (as happened in Qatar) but the booze shops won’t/can’t. It will all end in tears.

asjglx Jun 17th 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 12697502)
Bel Vino wine kits made from dried fruit - take it through customs as breakfast cereal. Served me well over the last 45 years in Libya, Pakistan, KSA, Kuwait, Yemen etc.

If you use the correct supplier from the UK, then Aramex will deliver them right to your front door

Tockalosh Jul 23rd 2019 8:15 am

Anyone know the current price of a carton of smokes in Oman ?

hnd Jul 23rd 2019 10:31 am

From memory, around OMR22 in Spinneys for a carton of Marlboro Silver Blue last week.

Tockalosh Jul 23rd 2019 11:11 am

Thanks HND, much appreciated, my brand as well.
Still a bargain in my eyes

hnd Jul 23rd 2019 12:09 pm

You’re welcome - and I concur! As an aside, the last two times we’ve come into Muscat through the airport they haven’t had any Silver Blue in the duty free shop. Plenty of all the other Marlboro cigarettes and other brands but no Silver Blue. Don’t know if it will interest you but there’s also a very small “Deli” full of freezers stocked with pork products. Stock is a bit hit and miss but it’s definitely cheaper than the stuff you can get in the pork rooms in Spinneys and they pack it in one of those thermal bags for you to take home.

Tockalosh Jul 23rd 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks for the Pork tip, I will definitely keep that one in mind for future trips in and out. My intention is to fly home every 6 weeks for a long weekend, (just in negotiation with HR over this sticking point) so should be able to stock up if all goes to plan. if they dont budge then wont be coming at all.

hnd Jul 23rd 2019 1:43 pm

Another thing to think about. Make sure that you get a “proper” visa. Have a friend who came over last year working in oil & gas as a senior Ops Manager for a large company (not going to mention any names). His employer got him an “off the shelf” visa which said he was an electrician. This meant that he was unable to get a liquor licence despite being able to provide evidence of salary. As in the UAE employees need an NOC and salary letter from their employer to be able to apply for a licence.

Tockalosh Jul 23rd 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12713825)
Another thing to think about. Make sure that you get a “proper” visa. Have a friend who came over last year working in oil & gas as a senior Ops Manager for a large company (not going to mention any names). His employer got him an “off the shelf” visa which said he was an electrician. This meant that he was unable to get a liquor licence despite being able to provide evidence of salary. As in the UAE employees need an NOC and salary letter from their employer to be able to apply for a licence.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. Hopefully there will be a proper visa that will permit beer. The company seems legit

hnd Jul 23rd 2019 2:37 pm

This was a very legit company but they outsourced their HR/visa stuff to an agency and that was the result. Anyway, the job was cr@p (trying to sort out previous c0ck-ups) and our friend jacked it in just before the end of the probationary period. Good luck with your negotiations!