Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rules and Regulations

Rules and Regulations

Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

couperchristie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rules and Regulations

Could someone please advise me of the general rules and regulations in Dubai. My partner is going there to work and I would like to move out there with him but I have been told that it is illegal for us to live together. Is this true even if we are British? Your help would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:28 am
Balushi

Default Re: Rules and Regulations

Originally posted by couperchristie
Could someone please advise me of the general rules and regulations in Dubai. My partner is going there to work and I would like to move out there with him but I have been told that it is illegal for us to live together. Is this true even if we are British? Your help would be much appreciated.

The police will never enter ur home to check whats happening! but they will enter and Detain everyone in the home if there is any disturbance of law and order.

Than the police will question urs relation! if caught living a life as adulterer then you will be deported and Banned from entering the country.

Even if you are British so WHAT?? You don;t own the world... Law is for everyone.

Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Balushi
The police will never enter ur home to check whats happening! but they will enter and Detain everyone in the home if there is any disturbance of law and order.

Than the police will question urs relation! if caught living a life as adulterer then you will be deported and Banned from entering the country.

Even if you are British so WHAT?? You don;t own the world... Law is for everyone.

I may be wrong here - but I think he meant 'not Islamic' as opposed to 'british'
Old Jun 19th 2004, 8:20 am
Balushi

Originally posted by xabiachica
I may be wrong here - but I think he meant 'not Islamic' as opposed to 'british'

"Is this true even if we are British?"

Well i thought he meant he is licesenced to do watever wherever he is and follow British rules.

Old Jun 19th 2004, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Xabiachica that was what I meant and I dont recall that I mentioned anything about thinking that I have a licence to do what I liked... some people are very opinionated.

Thanks for you help anyway.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by couperchristie

The UAE laws prohibit a man and a woman living together unless they are married or relatives who cannot get married according to the Sharia law. It is illegal for a man and a woman to live together even if they have no sexual relations.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Mercedes
The UAE laws prohibit a man and a woman living together unless they are married or relatives who cannot get married according to the Sharia law. It is illegal for a man and a woman to live together even if they have no sexual relations.

Thanks very much for your help Mercedes. Looks like we will have to plan a wedding before we go!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:06 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Don't sweat it, Dubai is a very tolerant place and although Islamic law states (in broad terms I bekeive) that unmarried couples may not cohabit, the Police will not worry about your living situation. Balushi is being defensive because everyone is ganging up on him in the other forums.
I lived with another girl (a friend) in Oman and when we were burgled the police weren't interested in our living arrangements, only in finding out who did it (an eskimo surprisingly enough). Once I was living in Dubai i lived with another girl and there was no problem.
As with everything you do in Dubai and the rest of the Middle East/Gulf States, you are a guest in their country and must adhere to their laws, or not advertise the fact that you are skirting it. It is not like the UK where ethnicities are allowed to do what they want and eventually get a casting vote as to what British people can and can't do in their own country. Not that I care- I'm not British!
You'll like Dubai, but don't sweat the small stuff.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Desert Dweller
Don't sweat it, Dubai is a very tolerant place and although Islamic law states (in broad terms I bekeive) that unmarried couples may not cohabit, the Police will not worry about your living situation. Balushi is being defensive because everyone is ganging up on him in the other forums.
I lived with another girl (a friend) in Oman and when we were burgled the police weren't interested in our living arrangements, only in finding out who did it (an eskimo surprisingly enough). Once I was living in Dubai i lived with another girl and there was no problem.
As with everything you do in Dubai and the rest of the Middle East/Gulf States, you are a guest in their country and must adhere to their laws, or not advertise the fact that you are skirting it. It is not like the UK where ethnicities are allowed to do what they want and eventually get a casting vote as to what British people can and can't do in their own country. Not that I care- I'm not British!
You'll like Dubai, but don't sweat the small stuff.
Thanks very much. Its not that we dont want to get married but not just at the minute and not just so that we can live together. We are looking forward to moving out there. Could you maybe tell me what are the best recruitment agencies out there and if I can view them on line. My partner will have a job to go to but I will need something when I get there.

Again thanks for you help!
Old Jun 25th 2004, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think also it depends on what part you get accomodation as well. When I was out there some places would not take me as I was a single woman and others I was not allowed a guy in my room after 10pm and security was quite strict about it. I was also asked for copies of my passport it was a furnished accomodation in Bar Dubai. Some place may turn a blind eye others may not, so its just good to be aware of it. I would imagine if you are in an expat communtiy it won't be such a problem. I wasn't.

There are a number of Recuitment agencies around, it depends on what your skills are. Alternatively you can try some companies direct, a friend of mine did that and was successful, she was a web designer.