British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   WHICH RUGBY CLUB??? Monsieur Dean, can you help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/rugby-club-monsieur-dean-can-you-help-508249/)

Quickyj Jan 22nd 2008 3:06 pm

WHICH RUGBY CLUB??? Monsieur Dean, can you help?

So as i've said, moving to Dubai in 2-3 weeks now, have a job lined up, and somewhere to stay initially before i get a place of my own...so things are coming together rather well (touch wood).

From what i understand there are a few rugby clubs in Dubai, including a couple who i have briefly contacted in the past.

I won't be able to play until December because of some rather heavy Knee Reconstruction (never try the David Campese goose-step on a pitch full of pot-holes, bastards at Heathfield and Walren, sort the pitch out), however i want to get involved with a club asap, maybe do some junoir coaching if it's an option.....

Suggestions please people...can i just take myself along to a few places??? Any clubs close to JBR?

Quickyj Jan 22nd 2008 3:16 pm

Re: WHICH RUGBY CLUB??? Monsieur Dean, can you help?

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5824075)
So as i've said, moving to Dubai in 2-3 weeks now, have a job lined up, and somewhere to stay initially before i get a place of my own...so things are coming together rather well (touch wood).

From what i understand there are a few rugby clubs in Dubai, including a couple who i have briefly contacted in the past.

I won't be able to play until December because of some rather heavy Knee Reconstruction (never try the David Campese goose-step on a pitch full of pot-holes, bastards at Heathfield and Walren, sort the pitch out), however i want to get involved with a club asap, maybe do some junoir coaching if it's an option.....

Suggestions please people...can i just take myself along to a few places??? Any clubs close to JBR?

7 views and no replies...come on people, you can do better than that.

Inselaffen Jan 22nd 2008 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5824108)

cant really help as i gave up rugby a long time ago to concentrate on playing hockey.
Dubai Dragons have had a good write up on here previously.

know how you feel with the knee injury. Had a complete rupture of the Patella Tendon 4 years ago and havnt played hockey properly again since then. Having my GK kit freighted over at the moment and will finally try padding up again. Not sureif the knee will take it though :(

The Dean Jan 22nd 2008 3:26 pm

You expect a reply within TEN minutes? On the night the Rocket Man is in Ab Dab entertaining half of The Bored?

I just got home from making squillions from the world of high finance, and I can now answer you.........

But first of all - Heathfield and Waldron???? That's near where I live (when in the UK). Who do you play for? I'm guessing Hove? The pitch is usually OK (Jason Leonard came to open it and the new floodlights you know...!!!). Never been a member there but I know it well.......

Need to check a couple of things about the status of the rugby clubs in Dubai as the Exiles ground (where ALL the clubs have always played) is shamefully closing to be replaced by a bland, dull, ..... oh all right I admit it - out of this world racecourse......

Emirates Airlines are building a new stadium which will be used by all and sundry...... not sure of timetable for opening, but Dubai Sevens (Dec 2008) and World Sevens (March 2009) are going to be there.

I will get back to you after I have been in touch with Steve Blackburn (Exiles Chairman and the best starting point of contact).

There you are - a detailed reply within 20 minutes..... so stop whingeing.........

Madam Medusa Jan 22nd 2008 3:28 pm

did you do a search on "rugby" cos i'm sure i remember the dean giving a long...and for him sensible...reply to someone on this, so it would have all the details you need...

MM, xx

Quickyj Jan 22nd 2008 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5824136)
cant really help as i gave up rugby a long time ago to concentrate on playing hockey.
Dubai Dragons have had a good write up on here previously.

know how you feel with the knee injury. Had a complete rupture of the Patella Tendon 4 years ago and havnt played hockey properly again since then. Having my GK kit freighted over at the moment and will finally try padding up again. Not sureif the knee will take it though :(

Surely you can get some kind of brace for it??? Sounds nasty either way, you don't really want an undercut flying over your pads at the knee really now do you? Are you getting stuff sent from India, i'd imagine you could get rather good stuff quite cheaply from that direction.. What's the hockey like too...bit of a sports nut, and once represented county at Hockey (GK for one match, utter disaster, 5 past me) but might be keen if i can get the knee to manoeuvre properly. less impact than Rugby - although not by much.

Who do you play for?

Inselaffen Jan 22nd 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5824176)
Surely you can get some kind of brace for it??? Sounds nasty either way, you don't really want an undercut flying over your pads at the knee really now do you? Are you getting stuff sent from India, i'd imagine you could get rather good stuff quite cheaply from that direction.. What's the hockey like too...bit of a sports nut, and once represented county at Hockey (GK for one match, utter disaster, 5 past me) but might be keen if i can get the knee to manoeuvre properly. less impact than Rugby - although not by much.

Who do you play for?

there is only one expat club here in Dubai which is Dubai Hockey Club. Its more a social level thing here. tend to play matches against Indian Work's teams.

Im getting my own stuff sent from Germany where I lived at the time of my accident. hopefully the legguards will add support to the knee. will give it a try in training before I risk a match.

if you want to try hockey here PM me once you have arrived!

Quickyj Jan 22nd 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5824149)
You expect a reply within TEN minutes? On the night the Rocket Man is in Ab Dab entertaining half of The Bored?

I just got home from making squillions from the world of high finance, and I can now answer you.........

But first of all - Heathfield and Waldron???? That's near where I live (when in the UK). Who do you play for? I'm guessing Hove? The pitch is usually OK (Jason Leonard came to open it and the new floodlights you know...!!!). Never been a member there but I know it well.......

Need to check a couple of things about the status of the rugby clubs in Dubai as the Exiles ground (where ALL the clubs have always played) is shamefully closing to be replaced by a bland, dull, ..... oh all right I admit it - out of this world racecourse......

Emirates Airlines are building a new stadium which will be used by all and sundry...... not sure of timetable for opening, but Dubai Sevens (Dec 2008) and World Sevens (March 2009) are going to be there.

I will get back to you after I have been in touch with Steve Blackburn (Exiles Chairman and the best starting point of contact).

There you are - a detailed reply within 20 minutes..... so stop whingeing.........

Thanks for the quick response...feel better????

Saw the rocket man at Sussex CC 2 years ago, how dare he make us wait whilst he watched England play football. Nonetheless sure it'll be great.

In all seriousness thanks for the help and yes i'll do the "rugby" search..

If you're making squillions, fancy sharing a few bob?

As for Heathfield and Waldron...yea that's the team. I Captain the Exiles team at Hove, and Heathfield was the last game i played, November 2006...the good old days.

Now 2 stone heavier (in all the wrong places) it's time to get super fit again, hoping the intense heat will help me drop a bit.

I'll look forward to future posts. cheers.

Boydy101 Jan 22nd 2008 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5824210)
Thanks for the quick response...feel better????

Saw the rocket man at Sussex CC 2 years ago, how dare he make us wait whilst he watched England play football. Nonetheless sure it'll be great.

In all seriousness thanks for the help and yes i'll do the "rugby" search..

If you're making squillions, fancy sharing a few bob?

As for Heathfield and Waldron...yea that's the team. I Captain the Exiles team at Hove, and Heathfield was the last game i played, November 2006...the good old days.

Now 2 stone heavier (in all the wrong places) it's time to get super fit again, hoping the intense heat will help me drop a bit.

I'll look forward to future posts. cheers.

Intense heat? It's a bit chilly out here for training at the minute - bring some thermals. The pre-season in the summer will help you sweat it off though that's for sure. But if you're hoping to drop a couple of stone Dubai is the wrong place to be moving to!!

I'll be interested to hear what TD knows about what's going on, at the minute we're still training at Exiles, all though there's only one pitch with lights and you have to drive across sand to get there because they've ripped up the road. The new facility will be up the Al Ain Road about 30 minutes out of town, however all they have is a patch of grass surrounded by some leveled sand, some way to go before it's a usable facility. We're also yet to see whether all the teams train out there or find new loc ations within Dubai to train.

As for teams there are three main teams in Dubai: Dragons, Hurricanes and Exiles. Currently Exiles are at the top of the pile but the top four all play off for the final title so there's no guarantee of who will be crowned at the end of the season. Exiles have the kids teams, Dragons and Hurricanes have a better social reputation. But I know a few people who have come to Dragons from the others and a couple who have gone the other way. It's worth just picking one and seeing how it goes and how you get on with people...

If you want more info on the dragons, training times and matches then PM me and I'll be happy to share.

Quickyj Jan 23rd 2008 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Boydy101 (Post 5824708)
Intense heat? It's a bit chilly out here for training at the minute - bring some thermals. The pre-season in the summer will help you sweat it off though that's for sure. But if you're hoping to drop a couple of stone Dubai is the wrong place to be moving to!!

I'll be interested to hear what TD knows about what's going on, at the minute we're still training at Exiles, all though there's only one pitch with lights and you have to drive across sand to get there because they've ripped up the road. The new facility will be up the Al Ain Road about 30 minutes out of town, however all they have is a patch of grass surrounded by some leveled sand, some way to go before it's a usable facility. We're also yet to see whether all the teams train out there or find new loc ations within Dubai to train.

As for teams there are three main teams in Dubai: Dragons, Hurricanes and Exiles. Currently Exiles are at the top of the pile but the top four all play off for the final title so there's no guarantee of who will be crowned at the end of the season. Exiles have the kids teams, Dragons and Hurricanes have a better social reputation. But I know a few people who have come to Dragons from the others and a couple who have gone the other way. It's worth just picking one and seeing how it goes and how you get on with people...

If you want more info on the dragons, training times and matches then PM me and I'll be happy to share.

If there's a gym, losing 2 stone shouldn't be an issue......I'll PM you when i make my move...thanks for the help.

spartans53 Jan 23rd 2008 10:30 am

Mate

Drop me a line or an email and you are more than welcome down at the Dubai Hurricanes. We are the current League, Cup and 7's Champs. We are also a very social club and you would be made very welcome.

Mike

email. [email protected]

Quickyj Jan 23rd 2008 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 5827870)
Mate

Drop me a line or an email and you are more than welcome down at the Dubai Hurricanes. We are the current League, Cup and 7's Champs. We are also a very social club and you would be made very welcome.

Mike

email. [email protected]

Good work Mike,

I'll drop you an email when i'm there but should be about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,
James.

Cry haddock Jan 23rd 2008 5:40 pm

To echo the comments above, there is a strong local rugby scene that is doing its best to survive the tearing up of the most commonly used facilities (Exiles). I'd been out of the game a few years and found a comfortable berth in the welcoming arms of the Arabian Potbellies, at the more *ahem* social end of the scale. With seeded cup competitions, the emirates league and plenty of regional 10's and vets competitions there is no excuse for not getting involved at some level. As an over the hill tighthead i can glady report that the weather in the last couple of weeks has been nice and wet too :-) Jump in, find your level and enjoy your rugby.
Haddock

spartans53 Jan 24th 2008 4:07 am

I can only echo the above comments. The Local scene is looking very healthy, which is not to say things can't get better. Looks like the Gulf mens team will be playing in a 5 nations this year against Kazakstan, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan so the top level seems to be looking good.

More and more kids are playing, we have started minis at the Lakes on Fridays from 10am. Exiles have teams from u8 up, Al Ain is getting stronger and Abu Dhabi is very strong again.

Mike