Rug Shops

Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:08 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rug Shops

one other thing, an old school decent rug seller will usually offer you the chance to try any rugs out in your home for a few weeks or months before you buy them and wont be pissed when you say no and ask to see some others.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:13 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
one other thing, an old school decent rug seller will usually offer you the chance to try any rugs out in your home for a few weeks or months before you buy them and wont be pissed when you say no and ask to see some others.
i forgot to mention that actually. the guy i bought from left the rugs with me for a week on trial before i paid him. that was the drop which convinced me to buy to be honest..

re the history of the khan mohammadi that's great info, i didn't know any of that, but anyway it doesn't matter to me that it is a 'new' rug. i liked the design (the persians look sh*t in my opinion) and i wanted high quality rugs that will last for years and years..
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:17 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
i forgot to mention that actually. the guy i bought from left the rugs with me for a week on trial before i paid him. that was the drop which convinced me to buy to be honest..

re the history of the khan mohammadi that's great info, i didn't know any of that, but anyway it doesn't matter to me that it is a 'new' rug. i liked the design (the persians look sh*t in my opinion) and i wanted high quality rugs that will last for years and years..
agreed re the mohammadi rugs, we have two!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's an outfit called Tanweer FBMI that's based in Afghanistan with showrooms in Dubai and London. Pretty high quality handwoven rugs. It's sponsored by by the Abu Dhabi sheikha as part of an initiative to support Afghan women. http://www.tanweerfbmi.com/

The London shop had a good range of rugs. Still not cheap but I remember the basic tribal runners going for £300. On a side note I preferred their arts & crafts style handwoven rugs. Excellent colour and weave craftsmanship.

I have two baluchis. One antique, circa 1890s and worn but still vibrant and which was in my grandparents' house. The other I picked up in Dubai in a rug store on the Beach Road that was closing and was selling everything at a steep discount. Most of the rugs were the usual junk but oddly enough they had just this one good baluchi. Paid about 1200AED for a rug 1 x 2.5m.

Malayers are still my favourites for I like their complexity and relative sophistication and broader range of colours though it certainly isn't to everyone's taste. The purely tribal rugs are a different market and more popular among those seeking 'ethnicity.' The Azerbaijani ones are pretty good and probably the best of the Caucasian rugs although they’re more expensive than the Afghan based weavers.

Has anyone ever visited the Afghan pavilion at Global City which is supposed to have a selection of rugs available?

Originally Posted by shiva
agreed re the mohammadi rugs, we have two!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Has anyone ever visited the Afghan pavilion at Global City which is supposed to have a selection of rugs available?
yes, its where i ran across the afghan chap with a shop in sharjah. varies every year but usually about 6 shops 4 of which are shite one is ok and one with the chap i know who is a great old boy
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

good link ethos will check them out, interestingly they have a bit on khal mohammedi.

"Wool: Ghazni Wool

Yarn: Handspun

Dye: Partly Vegetable Dye

Origin: Balkh, Jawzjan, Kunduz & Faryab

The Khalmohammedi carpet collection has in recent years been one of the most successful among the Afghan carpet range. The Khalmohammedi was first introduced by a Turkman carpet producer from Northern Afghanistan named Mr. Khal Mohammed in the 1990's. In this short period of time the Khalmohammedi has gained popularity due to its mixture of red and maroon palettes and classical motifs dating back to the 19th Century.

The finest quality Khalmohammedi carpets are known as Beljik. These fine rugs have upto 360 knots per square inch and are distinguishable from Khalmohammedi by their glossy pile giving the beljik a glow. "