Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

robbed, stung by immigration, then not paid..they say things come in 3's

robbed, stung by immigration, then not paid..they say things come in 3's

Old May 16th 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

J XPAT ENG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default robbed, stung by immigration, then not paid..they say things come in 3's

Need some advice please.

In February I went on Holiday (although holiday is exaggerated) to Thailand and had my passport and visa robbed...I obtained a police report, and then spent the rest of my hard earned holiday sorting out a new passport from Thai embassy and tried as hard as I could to enjoy what was left of the ruined time and returned to dubai...

I entered on a visit visa and gave my passport to my company PRO. 2 months have passed and still I cannot get my visa back.. (luckily I had a trip to Musamdam a month ago which renewed my visit visa.

Anyway I had my passport attested by the British Embassy not once but twice (350aed each) as they made a right dogs dinner of the first...

Now my PRO is saying the company need cancel my current visa and apply for a new one..which will cost me (not the company) 5000aed...This is extremely irritating, as I had a valid residence visa, which had 2 years left on it and due to me being a victim of crime, I have to get stung twice, once in Thailand and once in Dubai????????

Surely after I have provided translated police reports, British Embassy attested new passports, old passport and stolen visa copies, labour cards this should suffice for Dubai immigration to issue me a new resident visa...?

In case your wondering why I care as it’s my company problem.. the company is in serious financial difficulties waiting for Client payments, they have missed my last wage (yes my 3rd sting in my pocket) and have subsequently had a ban from the ministry, until the WPS wages transaction have gone through which should be in a month or 2.

If anyone knows how I can get a new visa without me paying another 5 grand, then your help / advise / money would be very welcomed!!
Old May 16th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: robbed, stung by immigration, then not paid..they say things come in 3's

Originally Posted by J XPAT ENG
Surely after I have provided translated police reports, British Embassy attested new passports, old passport and stolen visa copies, labour cards this should suffice for Dubai immigration to issue me a new resident visa...?

In case your wondering why I care as it’s my company problem.. the company is in serious financial difficulties waiting for Client payments, they have missed my last wage (yes my 3rd sting in my pocket) and have subsequently had a ban from the ministry, until the WPS wages transaction have gone through which should be in a month or 2.
1. they will for a fee, not immigration's fault you lost your visa

2. but you probably won't be able to get a visa at all if your company is blocked
Old May 16th 2010, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: robbed, stung by immigration, then not paid..they say things come in 3's

Some might say that it serves you right for not joining British Expats Forum until after you needed our advice. Others might disagree. At least you visited Thailand during its current period of trauma and returned in one piece to tell the tale, hopefully STD free.
Old May 16th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J XPAT ENG
Need some advice please.

In February I went on Holiday (although holiday is exaggerated) to Thailand and had my passport and visa robbed...I obtained a police report, and then spent the rest of my hard earned holiday sorting out a new passport from Thai embassy and tried as hard as I could to enjoy what was left of the ruined time and returned to dubai...

I entered on a visit visa and gave my passport to my company PRO. 2 months have passed and still I cannot get my visa back.. (luckily I had a trip to Musamdam a month ago which renewed my visit visa.

Anyway I had my passport attested by the British Embassy not once but twice (350aed each) as they made a right dogs dinner of the first...

Now my PRO is saying the company need cancel my current visa and apply for a new one..which will cost me (not the company) 5000aed...This is extremely irritating, as I had a valid residence visa, which had 2 years left on it and due to me being a victim of crime, I have to get stung twice, once in Thailand and once in Dubai????????

If anyone knows how I can get a new visa without me paying another 5 grand, then your help / advise / money would be very welcomed!!
If your own company can't pay your salary then you've got no chance with visa costs.
Find a new company because it sounds like you could get stung for a lot more , you've got two hopes and one of thems Bob.

good luck
Old May 16th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Some might say that it serves you right for not joining British Expats Forum until after you needed our advice. Others might disagree. At least you visited Thailand during its current period of trauma and returned in one piece to tell the tale, hopefully STD free.
You really are quite mad LH
Old May 16th 2010, 5:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I sympathise, Expat Eng buddy, not sure you'd have fared any better if you were a foreigner in UK and you'd allowed yourself into a situation where your passport was stolen. Unless it was an armed hold up in a public place, it does smack of carelessness...Thailand ain't exactly reputed for being safe for this sort of thing.

And not sure why you went to the Thai embassy...or even if one exists in Thailand.

And as to your company or the authorities bending over backwards because you were robbed in a country where its not exactly uncommon...if I were your employer, I'd say tough titties, you cough up.

Sorry, but not sending you money, either...
Old May 17th 2010, 7:15 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
You really are quite mad LH
Incredible, isn't it? Just dripping with presumptions and prejudice.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

your company ain't paid you your previous month's salary...what the ***
Old May 17th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

J XPAT ENG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
some might say that yes, but it would be a bit daft really wouldnt it lol...
Old May 17th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

am just testing to see if you say

f u k

with spaces in between, it'll show up.
Old May 17th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mission
am just testing to see if you say

f u k

with spaces in between, it'll show up.
oh it does...woohoo
Old May 18th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

vastmassive is an unknown quantity at this point

well these things are common in a society where so much paperwork is required to get things done!!! however the British Embassy in Dubai is the most expensive of all embassies to get new passports issued, I work in a Document Clearance company in Dubai where people with the same problem come to us each week and, yes the process is annoying to say the least. I am surprised to hear that your company have not paid your salery (sounds a bit dodgy...... keep an eye out) most people who have this issue are covered by insurance that will pay for the new visa after giving a mouth full to your company, but the passport issue will be on your dime. Don't think for one minute that it is your responsibility to get your visa as its your company that will get in trouble and not you. It just depends how tolerent you wish to be towards your company and their financial issues.