Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Road trip from Dubai to Oman

Road trip from Dubai to Oman

Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip from Dubai to Oman

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Quickest way from Marina area would be head down SZR till MOE, turn right and head down Umm Suqqeim rd to the first roundabout. Turn right, along Al Khail road and keep an eye out for signposts for Al Ain, turn off would be on your right, around the Burj Dubai area...
or this way
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:49 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
KASE i've heard of these roads but ain't familiar with where they are in relation to where i am? I'll be on sheik zayad road - so if i head in the direction of 'dubai' will i eventually get hatta sign?
Maybe a map would be a good thing afterall Or SatNav. Or someone who knows the way. Or follow the road signs; Emirates Road, Hatta, Muscat. If you reach the sea, you've missed the turn for Muscat
It really is a simple, and boring, journey. Alternative is try the back road through Nizwa, that's fun!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:50 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Maybe a map would be a good thing afterall Or SatNav. Or someone who knows the way. Or follow the road signs; Emirates Road, Hatta, Muscat. If you reach the sea, you've missed the turn for Muscat
It really is a simple, and boring, journey. Alternative is try the back road through Nizwa, that's fun!
Considered that the second trip down, but wanted to do a spot of pedestrian death race through the towns on Route 1!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:53 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Considered that the second trip down, but wanted to do a spot of pedestrian death race through the towns on Route 1!!!!
How many points did you get. It's double for the blind!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

cheers folks for all ur feedback and road directions.....much appreciated....if you guys hear about two brit expats who started from Dubai and ended up in Iran...then you know who those two people are
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:55 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

How many points did you get. It's double for the blind!
Again, I think the car blew my cover.. Maybe should have gone for a more discreet mode of transport....
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

cheers folks for all ur feedback and road directions.....much appreciated....if you guys hear about two brit expats who started from Dubai and ended up in Iran...then you know who those two people are
Thats why its important to turn right at the 1st R/A in Oman!! lol
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:58 am
If I have to explain...

Dude, Iran is in the opposite direction. have you thought of flying?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, Iran is in the opposite direction. have you thought of flying?
mate, that'd be too frigging easy ...no fun in that
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

That gives me an idea............. why not hire a boat?

Leaving Dubai, you can head north-east out into the shipping lane........... through the Straits of Hormuz (always some friendly patrol boats to guide you in the right direction), and round into the Indian Ocean. There you might meet some of those swashbuckling pirate chappies - you'll find they are all the spitting image of Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean..........

Great fun - bound to be................
Old Nov 14th 2008, 3:01 pm
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm driving a leased car provided by my emploeyer. Someone told me that I can't leave the counrty with a rental car. Is that true?
Do I need a NOC from the rental company and/or my employer to go to Oman? Do I need additional insurance cover or any other paperworks?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

boozhy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
come out of the marina and onto SZR, take the next slip road off which will you past the organic supermarket and the Emaar Offices, come along past the garage then take a right hand turn, go straight over at the lights, and up to the Al Khail road. Take the slip road for Al Khail Road - Dubai bound not Jebel Ali then just sit on it.
Want a tag along? I'm new to Dubai also. Am on facebook, Juan Penalosa. I'd help pay for the trip and could go my own way once there...
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:38 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
get onto the Al Khail Road and just keep going, you will get there in about 5 hours. I have done it twice with no map
Coming from Business Bay Bridge, if you follow Al Khail Rd and "just keep going" you eventually hit the Emirates Rd at a T-junction near Jebel Ali, you have to go either left or right. I thought it was the Hatta Rd you should take for Oman?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:40 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Wafi flyover and go straight until you hit the border no? Or have things changed that much?!