Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Road trip from Dubai to Oman

Road trip from Dubai to Oman

Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road trip from Dubai to Oman

Hi All

Me and my mate are taking a road trip , next week, from Dubai to Oman (Muscat ) and back.

Does anyone know which road signs to take lol? I've searched google and every other search engine possible for some sort of a road map and can't seem to find anything.

Also, obviously apart from our passport and DL, is there any other docs which we will need to cross the boader.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, including ideas on what to see and do.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip from Dubai to Oman

Originally Posted by mission
Hi All

Me and my mate are taking a road trip , next week, from Dubai to Oman (Muscat ) and back.

Does anyone know which road signs to take lol? I've searched google and every other search engine possible for some sort of a road map and can't seem to find anything.

Also, obviously apart from our passport and DL, is there any other docs which we will need to cross the boader.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, including ideas on what to see and do.
1 - Leave Dubai, heading for Hatta.
2 - Go through Hatta.
3 - Turn right.
4 - Reach Muscat.

(These directions are supplied by "Who The F-ck Needs Google Earth Ltd")
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Just done the exact same trip over the last couple of weeks.

1. Passport
2. Car Insurance cert

At Hatta, you need to stop at the Hatta Passport Office. I missed it, as there was a truck blocking the sign and ended up in Oman without the exit stamp from UAE. After they have stamped you out at Hatta, your next stop is Oman customs post. You cant miss this as you HAVE to stop. Get your ticket and head for the Oman border post. Pull off before the wndows and enter the building. Fill out the arrival form (have a pen handy, as they are few and far between) and request a GCC resident entry, as opposed to the tourist visa (difference of 130AED in their favour!!). Once you have the passport stamped, drop your customs ticket off at the little shed past the border point and, hey presto, your are in Oman.

On leaving, there is a little shack before the drive thru passport section where you have to pay to take your car outta Oman (2OR), stamp out of Oman and head for Hatta. At Hatta, stop off at near as damn the same place as before but head round the back of the office on your right, as they only deal with locals at the road side of the building. Stamp back in, stop off for the customs guy to have a nosey around your car, drop the customs clearance off with the guy in the shed 50 yards or so later and, voila, you are back in the Magic Kingdom....

Last edited by TGFKASE; Oct 26th 2008 at 6:09 am.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

DEAN & KASE

cheers for the feedback.

@ DEAN '(These directions are supplied by "Who The F-ck Needs Google Earth Ltd")'. So if we head for Hatta we should then eventually get the sign for Oman/Muscat? And in order to head for Hatta what road signs do i follow if im leaving from Dubai Marina??

KASE cheers for the heads up regarding the border cleanance, much appreciated.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

DEAN & KASE

cheers for the feedback.

@ DEAN '(These directions are supplied by "Who The F-ck Needs Google Earth Ltd")'. So if we head for Hatta we should then eventually get the sign for Oman/Muscat? And in order to head for Hatta what road signs do i follow if im leaving from Dubai Marina??

get onto the Al Khail Road and just keep going, you will get there in about 5 hours. I have done it twice with no map
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:32 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
get onto the Al Khail Road and just keep going, you will get there in about 5 hours. I have done it twice with no map
5 hours? Not in the Starsky & Hutch mobile!! 3hrs 45 mins from Springs to Ruwi!!!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:32 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

DEAN & KASE

cheers for the feedback.

Where you leaving from in Dubai??
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

BLUE mate i'm a freshie to Dubai...where is Al Khail Road???
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Where you leaving from in Dubai??
will be leaving from JLT/Dubai marina
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

5 hours? Not in the Starsky & Hutch mobile!! 3hrs 45 mins from Springs to Ruwi!!!
what with all those speed cameras
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:39 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

will be leaving from JLT/Dubai marina
From Al Khail or Emirates Rd (they run parallel to each other) head off on the Al Ain road and from there you will see signposts for Hatta and, some time later, Oman. Once over the border, follow the road down out of the mountains to the coast road (Oman Rte 1), turn left at the first roundabout you see (Signposted Sohar) and, 2-3 hours later, Muscat. Watch out for the speed cameras all the way down. Some appear to be set at anything over 120, while others let you up to 135 ish...
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:40 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what with all those speed cameras
Aye, Cruise is a wonderful thing, plus the fact that I never need to bother flashing anyone, as the sight of the grille quickly growing in the rear view mirror seems to be enough for people to move outta my way!!!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

From Al Khail or Emirates Rd (they run parallel to each other) head off on the Al Ain road and from there you will see signposts for Hatta and, some time later, Oman. Once over the border, follow the road down out of the mountains to the coast road (Oman Rte 1), turn left at the first roundabout you see (Signposted Sohar) and, 2-3 hours later, Muscat. Watch out for the speed cameras all the way down. Some appear to be set at anything over 120, while others let you up to 135 ish...
KASE i've heard of these roads but ain't familiar with where they are in relation to where i am? I'll be on sheik zayad road - so if i head in the direction of 'dubai' will i eventually get hatta sign?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

KASE i've heard of these roads but ain't familiar with where they are in relation to where i am? I'll be on sheik zayad road - so if i head in the direction of 'dubai' will i eventually get hatta sign?
Quickest way from Marina area would be head down SZR till MOE, turn left (!!!!) and head down Umm Suqqeim rd to the first roundabout. Turn right, along Al Khail road and keep an eye out for signposts for Al Ain, turn off would be on your right, around the Burj Dubai area...

Last edited by TGFKASE; Oct 26th 2008 at 7:49 am. Reason: Sending him the wrong way!!!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:48 am
Concierge

come out of the marina and onto SZR, take the next slip road off which will you past the organic supermarket and the Emaar Offices, come along past the garage then take a right hand turn, go straight over at the lights, and up to the Al Khail road. Take the slip road for Al Khail Road - Dubai bound not Jebel Ali then just sit on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.