Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh western family life - is it good?

Riyadh western family life - is it good?

Old May 17th 2010, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

brynbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh western family life - is it good?

Hi

Thinking of taking up a post in Riyadh for 3 years. I have read some of the posts about restrictions and over subscribed compounds. I will be bringing my wife and 5 year old son.

I have not seen any entry yet that says life is good. It all seems restricted and miserable.

Life is short. Is it worth workin there (money aside)?
Old May 18th 2010, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Mk_IV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riyadh western family life - is it good?

Originally Posted by brynbo
Hi

If you not a muslim - no (Money aside)
Old May 18th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brynbo
Hi

Thinking of taking up a post in Riyadh for 3 years. I have read some of the posts about restrictions and over subscribed compounds. I will be bringing my wife and 5 year old son.

I have not seen any entry yet that says life is good. It all seems restricted and miserable.

Yes it is. Had a fab time there. Make sure your company takes care of the accom though, and make sure you will live on a western compound, otherwise your life will be miserable. The compound is make or break, IMHO, in Saudi. Especially for your wife and child.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alexa
Yes it is. Had a fab time there. Make sure your company takes care of the accom though, and make sure you will live on a western compound, otherwise your life will be miserable. The compound is make or break, IMHO, in Saudi. Especially for your wife and child.
Do you remember - "money aside"? If you do not make extra money/career compare to your home country - it simply does not worth it.
Old May 20th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - the picture I have is one of a difficult lifestyle where people make the best of it.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Strange !! We seem to have a few people voicing there concerns about life here in saudi.
How many have been to saudi recently.
My next 4 weekends i am busy for 3 of them , i dont have enough hours in the weekends some times.
Yes the compond issuse is a bigggggggggggg thing here more so for your wife as its already been said.
She will be bored shixxless other wise.
If you can get a compound then great,
The social lfe !!! well like the life style any where these days can be good.
we had a bbq by the pool last night, my next 2 thursday evenings are at various embassies social evenings,
Today i am off out into the desert and quad biking.

It is up to you to make your own way and find what you want to do.

Some folk are more than happy to stay in and relax , some folk like to be out and about.
Social lfe life here can be good if you want it to be.
Old May 21st 2010, 5:20 am
Just Joined

All I am trying to say is:
1. You need a good job. Some of them not only not paid well but really tough, because you have to deal with saudis.

2. Yes, you need a good compound for social live etc. To afford a good compound in Ryiadh you still need a good job because they are expensive, plus many companies have reserved villas and if you do not work for them, you have to stay in waiting list for months or bribe compound manager.

So I still on the same position - if you do not have a good job, there is nothing to do for you here. Plus, you should arrange compound before you come. Do not trust any promises

I know only one category of western people who came to KSA for relatively low paid jobs - english teachers without actual degree in that area. Usually they stay for less then 1 year.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

yorkshire lady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 4 moving to riyhad this summer HELP PLEASE

Hello,

Please help, we are moving to riyadh in August, my husband has a teaching vacancy and i am early years staff too. At the moment i wont be working until my children are settled. My husband is working in the diplomatic quatres and we dont know as yet if we will be on a compound or just in an apartment. Everything i read on here says if your not in a western compound especially with children the life can be very hard. Any views or feed back would be appreciated thanks.
Old May 31st 2010, 8:26 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 4 moving to riyhad this summer HELP PLEASE

Originally Posted by yorkshire lady
Hello,

Please help, we are moving to riyadh in August, my husband has a teaching vacancy and i am early years staff too. At the moment i wont be working until my children are settled. My husband is working in the diplomatic quatres and we dont know as yet if we will be on a compound or just in an apartment. Everything i read on here says if your not in a western compound especially with children the life can be very hard. Any views or feed back would be appreciated thanks.
Sorry to tell you this, but if you can't get on a compound (and considering your other post about costs I think they are out of the question even if you could overcome the waiting list issue) I advise you to reconsider the whole move.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all for responses and for other threads. Really usefull.

It seems that KSA is short of housing which is a major factor.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Hisham Mohamed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yorkshire lady
Hello,

Yeah this the truth i'm living here in Riyadh if you live in apartment it will be miserable life but if it was in western compound it will be good cause life in compounds is definitely different than outside

Hisham
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:19 am
Just Joined

yorkshire lady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hisham Mohamed
Yeah this the truth i'm living here in Riyadh if you live in apartment it will be miserable life but if it was in western compound it will be good cause life in compounds is definitely different than outside

Hisham
Thanks for that info i will definetly push for a compound.