Reload this Page >

Riyadh social life

Riyadh social life

Old May 14th 2009, 11:55 am
Just Joined

nurse_betty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh social life

Hey,
I'm moving to Riyadh in the next few weeks and i've been having a look through some of the threads on here which, to be honest are scaring the s**t out of me!! I know Riyadh is very strict and there is no drinking/clubbing/cinemas etc but i was still hoping for a socail life of some form. I heard there were always parties, embassay events and day trips etc and that you would meet people of both sexes. After reading about ex pat men on here having to go to Bahrain for hookers etc i'm feeling slightly concerned!! Surely there is no need to resort to such seedy activities?! (unless thats your thing in which case no judgement). And what about the similarly frustrated ladies, what do they get up to in such desperate times?
Just looking for accurate reflections of the social/dating scene in Riyadh from any guys and gals who live there.
Thanks
Old May 14th 2009, 11:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh social life

Welcome
Old May 14th 2009, 12:02 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nurse_betty
And what about the similarly frustrated ladies, what do they get up to in such desperate times?
The shower nozzle... Second best thing after a rabbit
Old May 14th 2009, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

shower head eh? was thinking more an electric toothbrush but thanks!! ha ha joking aside surely its not going to be that bad?
Old May 14th 2009, 12:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiger989
The shower nozzle... Second best thing after a rabbit
are we speaking from experience here?
Old May 14th 2009, 12:13 pm

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

shower head eh? was thinking more an electric toothbrush but thanks!! ha ha joking aside surely its not going to be that bad?
Sorry had the shower head first thing in my mind. Its quit bad unless you get to know the right people. I'm off to Saudi for a 5 day buisness trip tomorrow, and I'm not looking forward for it and its only 5days. Thats how bad it is. I remember when I had to stay there for three month to commission a plant, I thought I was gay and a pedo. I haven't seen children or women for three month. And the first female human bein was the etihad cabin crew. I felt so sorry for her. I stared at her like no tomorrow, had to explaign the situation to her and she laughed, as she was the first women I seen in three month.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
are we speaking from experience here?

erm nope....
Old May 14th 2009, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Ha ha that sounds pretty awful. i'm meant to be going for a year or two but by sounds of it don't know if i'll last that long!! i was thinking i could cope by going on holidays to get my fix ha ha. prob going to end up a lesbian at this rate oh well. i'll need to be sure and meet the 'right people' then.
Thanks for your em depressing take on the situation
Old May 14th 2009, 12:26 pm

Ha ha that sounds pretty awful. i'm meant to be going for a year or two but by sounds of it don't know if i'll last that long!! i was thinking i could cope by going on holidays to get my fix ha ha. prob going to end up a lesbian at this rate oh well. i'll need to be sure and meet the 'right people' then.
Thanks for your em depressing take on the situation
No worries I got way more, that was the nicest experience in Saudi actually.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to Riyadh. You will be fine and soon get into the social scene in Riyadh. There are loads of single people, male and female who party the same as in the Western world. Assuming you live in company provided fairly civilised housing you will see men and women in normal clothes, and by the pool you will quite probably see far more of some mens bodies (and womens come to that) than you care to! I really don't get this thing from the men that they never see women - they are all over the place and at the embassies, parties etc. dress appropriately for the heat . . . Living in Riyadh is a totally different thing to being out for a business trip for 5 days which can't be much fun, but hey, it's only 5 days.

You will be fine, don't panic, a single friend of ours seems to be constantly at a party - busy every weekend with parties and embassy do's - has a far busier social life than we do!

Cheers
N
Old May 14th 2009, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

great glad to hear it!! i've read so many mixed views on the socail life was starting to get quite worried about it. the main reason i'm going to saudi is to earn money but it would be nice to know i could have a bit of fun while i'm there as well!! Thanks for reassuring me
Old May 14th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to the Board.

I work in Riyadh during the week , travel 'home' to Jeddah at weekends. As Nic one says, it will take some time to build up your social netwrok, but if you look in the right places, there is quite a good social life to be had.

I'm assuming by your user name, you'll be working at a hospital, who will also also a lot of expats of various nationalities, so once you get to know them, you can build up your own network.

Do you know where you will be living? Again, to quote Nic, compound life can have its pretty decent social life, so my advice to you is to come and experience it for yourself. I've met so many people who were initially - like you - only coming for two years. Thirty plus years later, they're still here. There must be more to it than just the dinero.

Anyway, best of luck.
Old May 15th 2009, 10:33 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Hey,
I'm moving to Riyadh in the next few weeks and i've been having a look through some of the threads on here which, to be honest are scaring the s**t out of me!! I know Riyadh is very strict and there is no drinking/clubbing/cinemas etc but i was still hoping for a socail life of some form. I heard there were always parties, embassay events and day trips etc and that you would meet people of both sexes. After reading about ex pat men on here having to go to Bahrain for hookers etc i'm feeling slightly concerned!! Surely there is no need to resort to such seedy activities?! (unless thats your thing in which case no judgement). And what about the similarly frustrated ladies, what do they get up to in such desperate times?
Just looking for accurate reflections of the social/dating scene in Riyadh from any guys and gals who live there.
Thanks
don't believe all the doom notes, the social life here is fine. (personally, it's kind of like being back at uni!) there's a bash or impromptu bbq or something every night of the week.

(and, embarrassing as it is to point out, you're at an advantage by being female - you'll get all the invites to even out the gender imbalance at parties)

i'd suggest you ask around with your new colleagues and you'll be fine!
Old May 15th 2009, 6:05 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
don't believe all the doom notes, the social life here is fine. (personally, it's kind of like being back at uni!) there's a bash or impromptu bbq or something every night of the week.

(and, embarrassing as it is to point out, you're at an advantage by being female - you'll get all the invites to even out the gender imbalance at parties)

i'd suggest you ask around with your new colleagues and you'll be fine!
Or, PM still unsure for invites....

C'mon man!
Old May 15th 2009, 6:38 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Roadking
Or, PM still unsure for invites....

C'mon man!
sorry, RK, was too busy at a casual friday afternoon bbq!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.