Riyadh...moving

Old Sep 25th 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh...moving

Sounds just like Dubai then . . . . .
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Reecefam...... you started a "Riyadh" thread some time ago (last post 12 Sept I see).

Go back to it - my long replies still apply.

Oh all right......... I'll bump it up for you...........
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:42 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nic1
Hi maranelloman, we have a wireless internet connection which is OK - we don't do a huge amount of downloading etc. and not being very technical can't comment on speed. However, my husband says it's not great at work when everyone is online.

Re working at a large supermarket - they are also frequented by numerous ex-pats. As others have said we've not encountered problems when out using the supermarkets and shopping malls.

I really do think being in Saudi is all about your state of mind, we know people who moan ALL the time about the abbaya, the locals, the driving blah blah yawn. There is good and bad everywhere, and Saudi is the same. You have to be positive. Life is what you make it, and it's usually not the country you are in but the people you are surrounded by who make life good (or bad). The best advise I can give you - and particularly your wife - is to stay away from the negative moaners who have nothing good to say about the country or the people. We have found we are more in contact with Arabic people here than we ever were in Dubai and they are kind, gentle and hospitable people. They also know that many of the ex-pats moan about them and slag them off - which can't be too nice. They are like people everywhere, if treated pleasantly will respond in kind. After all, none of us like to be sterotyped or treated with disrespect.

This isn't a country I would want to be in for a long time (but never say never . . .) but am happy to be here for a couple of years. Don't know if your wife works, but she might want to get a job as compound life doesn't suit everyone. The coffee mornings are truly dire and to be avoided . . . . unless you like playing bingo or beetle!!

Hope this helps.
Nicola
Thank you for your help...i have now been told my wife and kids can not join me for at least 5 weeks, due to me having to sort them out a Visa, when i have been working 3 weeks.
For some reason my employer did not mention that!
I know i am being wary but a lot of people say two years is long enough in Saudi...this leads me to think it is not great!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reecefam
Thank you for your help...i have now been told my wife and kids can not join me for at least 5 weeks, due to me having to sort them out a Visa, when i have been working 3 weeks.
For some reason my employer did not mention that!
I know i am being wary but a lot of people say two years is long enough in Saudi...this leads me to think it is not great!
You'll stay for ten years...... ignore all the garbage from Lionheart (God knows what areas he used to frequent....!!!!).

Riyadh? It's much safer than any UK city I know. As I said on the other thread you started, I've just come back for my FOURTH tour of duty...... you'll be fine..........
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Reecefam

I think you need to think if its a step forward for you. If it is then by all means go for it. However do your research on a few things:
1. Cost of Compound
2. (Total) Cost of Schooling
3. How frequency of payments to both. ie you may be paying these up front in a lump sum but only get paid monthly by employer.

It will be a culture change but if you are family orientated then you should be OK with it. Yes its restrictive but most people adjust very easily. Its just a matter of respecting the culture and knowing there is nothing you can do about it.

On some of your worries, well I dont think you will have any problems with crime, the locals, or feeling threatened etc. Generally people have been very nice when I was there before.

But work out your costs Make sure the money is enough for you. Call the compound if you have to and find about cost of utilities. The last thing you want is that you will get there and be struggling financially.

Also have a look at the website Expatriates.com. there are things on there like cars for sale etc, so you will get a good idea on what things will cost when you get there.

Good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:29 am

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by maranelloman
Reecefam

I think you need to think if its a step forward for you. If it is then by all means go for it. However do your research on a few things:
1. Cost of Compound
2. (Total) Cost of Schooling
3. How frequency of payments to both. ie you may be paying these up front in a lump sum but only get paid monthly by employer.

It will be a culture change but if you are family orientated then you should be OK with it. Yes its restrictive but most people adjust very easily. Its just a matter of respecting the culture and knowing there is nothing you can do about it.

On some of your worries, well I dont think you will have any problems with crime, the locals, or feeling threatened etc. Generally people have been very nice when I was there before.

But work out your costs Make sure the money is enough for you. Call the compound if you have to and find about cost of utilities. The last thing you want is that you will get there and be struggling financially.

Also have a look at the website Expatriates.com. there are things on there like cars for sale etc, so you will get a good idea on what things will cost when you get there.

Good luck!
Thanks for all the great advice...the compound is about £15k a year, Schooling about £13k a year...how much will a family of four need to live on?
If i am not going to be financially better off...then i aint going!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:03 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
You'll stay for ten years...... ignore all the garbage from Lionheart (God knows what areas he used to frequent....!!!!).

Riyadh? It's much safer than any UK city I know. As I said on the other thread you started, I've just come back for my FOURTH tour of duty...... you'll be fine..........
Please stop insulting people you don't even know. Nothing I wrote about KSA is false. I lived there for eight years. If you choose to walk with your head in the clouds, that is your choice, but you shouldn't make unrealistic guarantees about safety when somebody's family welfare may be at stake.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Thanks for all the great advice...the compound is about £15k a year, Schooling about £13k a year...how much will a family of four need to live on?
If i am not going to be financially better off...then i aint going!
Wow your figures seem to be high!
House = £15K = 112,800 SAR
School = £12K = 90,000 SAR

maybe the school is about right cos your kids are older than mine. Im sure you can probably save on the accomodation front bringing it down to 100K SAR or less.

Im not sure how much you are on. PM me if you want and i'll be able to give you a better judgement. A few weeks ago I asked if the following was sensible but didnt get a response. But I think ball park is about right.

Expenses per month
Housing -8,334
School -3,998
Bills (elec) -2,000
Car Insurance -1,000
Food -5,000
Little Luxuries -4,000
Maid -1,000
Other ???
Total Expenses -25,332

Hope it helps.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I needed time to think about all this, Lionheart, but here goes........

Read the thread about Doha and then imagine it being twice as bad. Riyadh has very few redeeming features...its basically a Police state with constant check points, women cannot drive or work (except in girls schools and hospitals), you will feel hatred especially from the fundamentalists, not easy to leave/return the country for social visits, no cinemas/theaters/clubs and obviously no legal alcohol, illegal for a woman to be with you unless she is a blood relative or wife, need I continue? I endured and occasionally enjoyed 8 years in Jeddah, but that is not Riyadh...much more cosmopolitan.

Let me address that point-by-point:

'Constant check points' - I have been here on and off since 1992. I reckon I have driven through check-points over a thousand times. How many times was I actually stopped? Three, from memory (and one of those was to warn me about a crash up ahead). Usually you just get waved through with a smile. The checkpoints are intended to stop SAUDIS who are on 'wanted lists'.

'You will feel hatred' - the Saudis are the most welcoming people in the GCC region and beyond. I have several times been invited to have Friday lunch with Saudi families in their homes (admittedly that's unusual, but it reflects how hospitable the people are).

'Not easy to leave the country' - with a multiple entry/exit visa, it is no problem. The customs 'formalities' now take seconds where they used to take ages.

'No cinemas, clubs, etc' - true (even for the locals), but that indirectly prompts a higher level of social activity among the compound residents (my compound has its own mini-cinema).

'Illegal for a woman to be with you unless she is a blood relative or wife' - partly true, but why would you WANT to be with one? (I'm curious about this point, LH).

'Need you continue?' - No for God's sake please don't! It is clear that you made up your mind not to make the most of your time here (and as you were here for eight years, I feel sorry for you).

The risks Reecefam will be running are the same that I am running, and I gave up something very prestigious in Dubai to come back here.

Life in Saudi is what you make it.

Other points - when the compounds were attacked in 2003, many families left (although most husbands stayed in my experience). The British School lost a number of its pupils, as did the American School etc. The British School is now full again, with a waiting list. Parents think their kids are safe.

They could have let their feet do the talking, but stayed/returned. Reecefam's family will no doubt make up their own mind.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

As someone who has also lived in Riyadh I totally agree with The Dean.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean
I needed time to think about all this, Lionheart, but here goes........

Read the thread about Doha and then imagine it being twice as bad. Riyadh has very few redeeming features...its basically a Police state with constant check points, women cannot drive or work (except in girls schools and hospitals), you will feel hatred especially from the fundamentalists, not easy to leave/return the country for social visits, no cinemas/theaters/clubs and obviously no legal alcohol, illegal for a woman to be with you unless she is a blood relative or wife, need I continue? I endured and occasionally enjoyed 8 years in Jeddah, but that is not Riyadh...much more cosmopolitan.

Let me address that point-by-point:

'Constant check points' - I have been here on and off since 1992. I reckon I have driven through check-points over a thousand times. How many times was I actually stopped? Three, from memory (and one of those was to warn me about a crash up ahead). Usually you just get waved through with a smile. The checkpoints are intended to stop SAUDIS who are on 'wanted lists'.

'You will feel hatred' - the Saudis are the most welcoming people in the GCC region and beyond. I have several times been invited to have Friday lunch with Saudi families in their homes (admittedly that's unusual, but it reflects how hospitable the people are).

'Not easy to leave the country' - with a multiple entry/exit visa, it is no problem. The customs 'formalities' now take seconds where they used to take ages.

'No cinemas, clubs, etc' - true (even for the locals), but that indirectly prompts a higher level of social activity among the compound residents (my compound has its own mini-cinema).

'Illegal for a woman to be with you unless she is a blood relative or wife' - partly true, but why would you WANT to be with one? (I'm curious about this point, LH).

'Need you continue?' - No for God's sake please don't! It is clear that you made up your mind not to make the most of your time here (and as you were here for eight years, I feel sorry for you).

The risks Reecefam will be running are the same that I am running, and I gave up something very prestigious in Dubai to come back here.

Life in Saudi is what you make it.

Other points - when the compounds were attacked in 2003, many families left (although most husbands stayed in my experience). The British School lost a number of its pupils, as did the American School etc. The British School is now full again, with a waiting list. Parents think their kids are safe.

They could have let their feet do the talking, but stayed/returned. Reecefam's family will no doubt make up their own mind.
Thanks for the great reply...can you tell me how we get the multiple entry/exit visa? Is it a special one?
Cheers...
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great reply...can you tell me how we get the multiple entry/exit visa? Is it a special one?
Cheers...
That should be standard. Mine was and I didnt need to request it. Best to check with your employer to make sure that is what they will apply for.