Reload this Page >

Riyadh Job Offer - Advice Please

Riyadh Job Offer - Advice Please

Old May 23rd 2011, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Smoggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh Job Offer - Advice Please

Hi All

I hope you can help me with a couple of points.

I have been offered a job as a Commercial Manager in Riyadh. The salary is SAR 45,000 per month all inclusive plus a flight & medical. Is that low or high for Riyadh? It is roughly what I earn in the UK - but of course I currently pay tax.

There is no accommodation / accommodation allowance offered. How difficult is it to find reasonable accommodation at not too high a price? Preferably in a compound.

I need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh Job Offer - Advice Please

If you have a job in the UK that isn't under immediate threat I wouldn't consider a move to Riyadh!!!

But the package sounds about right single status. Bit tight if you have a family in tow though.

You will also accrue an end of service benefit for the length of your contract something like 21 days per year.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

And...search the threads... accommodation has come up a lot, even in the wiki...it's not cheap for a decent compound, even if you can find room apparently though.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smoggy
Hi All

I hope you can help me with a couple of points.

I have been offered a job as a Commercial Manager in Riyadh. The salary is SAR 45,000 per month all inclusive plus a flight & medical. Is that low or high for Riyadh? It is roughly what I earn in the UK - but of course I currently pay tax.

There is no accommodation / accommodation allowance offered. How difficult is it to find reasonable accommodation at not too high a price? Preferably in a compound.

I need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks
Hi having recently left Riyadh after 2 years there.
Now in Khobar.

First of all compound accom there is very little available and what is available can be rather expensive a decent 2 bedroom is at least 130 - 150 k sar a year.
It has been said many times on here and i will say it again
Please get your company to find you a place on a compound BEFORE you come out here.
Nearly all the compounds are full and have very longggggg waiting lists.

Transport !!!
A decent car you can pick up for about 60 - 75 k
i do have a couple of web sites for reference.
Flights and of course medicals should be reviewed as well.
The company will of course pay for you
But are you bring ing your wife / kids out
Schooling here can be expensive !!

I did post on here last year i think a list of most of the compounds in riyadh
i will see if i can find it again.
The weather in riyadh is now in the mmid 40's C and its not even summer yet.
There are days days when the temp in riyadh will be close to the 55C mark.
This will be for at least 3 months of the year June July Aug. and part of Sept.

Well there is a start
i am sure other members will offer more advice.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

More info re accom and compounds can be found on here.
Good luck. !!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Saudi_City_Guide
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice it is really helpful.

I'll check with the company to see if they can assist on the accommodation front. I'll also see if there is any movement on my salary as my wife will be joining me. It's an ME and not Western company so I'm not sure what response I will get.

Thanks again.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Just to echo what has already been said really. THe compound accommodation is very expensive. To give you an idea, a three bed family villa on a 'decent' compound would cost you around 20-25,000 SR per month. That would be half your monthly salary.

You could lease / purchase a car , monthly instalments would be in the region of 2000 sr.

Education - you didn't mention if you were bringing any kids with you. THe yearly fee for the British School is around 38,000 sr, so around 3k sr per month per child.

Those wil be your biggest outgoings. If you can get the company to help you source accommodation - it can be difficult to get into trying to do it on your own.

Good Luck.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Just to echo what has already been said really. THe compound accommodation is very expensive. To give you an idea, a three bed family villa on a 'decent' compound would cost you around 20-25,000 SR per month. That would be half your monthly salary.

You could lease / purchase a car , monthly instalments would be in the region of 2000 sr.

Education - you didn't mention if you were bringing any kids with you. THe yearly fee for the British School is around 38,000 sr, so around 3k sr per month per child.

Those wil be your biggest outgoings. If you can get the company to help you source accommodation - it can be difficult to get into trying to do it on your own.

Good Luck.
Agree with all of that - push for your company to help you out sourcing your accommodation and get them to pay any security deposits as well. A lot of companies offer a relocation allowance for shipping your stuff over here or buying new stuff if you prefer.

The salary sounds a bit low if that's what you're earning in the UK although worth bearing in mind that aside from accommodation the cost of living is much cheaper here than the UK - you'll love filling your car up with petrol!
Old May 24th 2011, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Just one further thought...

Are there any security or other issues to consider should I find the only accommodation I can source initially is not in a compound?

Thanks
Old May 24th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice it is really helpful.

I'll check with the company to see if they can assist on the accommodation front. I'll also see if there is any movement on my salary as my wife will be joining me. It's an ME and not Western company so I'm not sure what response I will get.

Thanks again.
my 2c- stay away from local companies- you are at too much risk- only consider expat companies- things can go pear shaped and very quickly too, so you had better be careful as it affects your family.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Just one further thought...

Are there any security or other issues to consider should I find the only accommodation I can source initially is not in a compound?

Thanks
I reckon you would be pretty safe and secure. Some really nice large apartments going, much lower priced than compound accommodation, and most of the better ones have 'security access' main doors.

THe REAL big downside is the restrictions you / your wife will face. Living on a compound alleviates many of these, as they all have 'built in' amenities - coffee shops , restaurants, swimming pools, gym, library, mini-market etc. Your wife will not have to cover up whilst on the compound - but out in public she will.

So, living on a compound - as you can see- brings it own advantages, but then it comes at a premium.