Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh Contract - Your opinions ?

Riyadh Contract - Your opinions ?

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Einstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh Contract - Your opinions ?

Hi,

I have received a contract proposal in Riyadh for a Telecom company, it is a non-manager position, combination of PM and Technical Support.

Details (Family Status)
Salary: 27,500 SAR/Month
Accomodation: 80,000 SAR/Y
Car: 2,500 SAR/Month
Relocation: 0.5x Salary
Bonus: Max 2x Salary
Medical/Insurance: Yes
Holiday: 22 Days/Y
Tickets: 1/Year

Appreciating your comments whether it is a good offer or not ?

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh Contract - Your opinions ?

family and children??? I wouldn't take them to Saudi
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
family and children??? I wouldn't take them to Saudi

Yes, wife and 3 younger boys.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Einstein
Yes, wife and 3 younger boys.
School fees you will need them if you decide to go ahead with this. You really need to speak to our resident Saudi expert - Jammy Dodger or do some searches on Saudi Arabia. Everyone who has been there really has nothing good to say about the place. I personally can't comment but husband was there for seven years. I asked him if we should go over to try and make money, he said he would rather have a vasectomy with no general anaesthetic
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:30 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

no no no no no

trust me - only place to take kids in Saudi is Jedda. Dont do Riyadh ... and pretty much I wouldnt go back there with my hubby.

its one hell of a culture shock ... wearing the abyah (sp), being split up in restaurants (men areas, women and kids area), never being able to drive a car, not travelling with a friends husband or other male friend without hubby, not being served in some shops - having to send in the male driver to get served instead, no access to newspapers, interenet monitored and censored, flims and DVD's watched, censored at immigration resulting in chunks of your DVD'c missing ..

etc etc -the list goes on.

I wouldnt do it if you're taking your family
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all information !

Forgot to mention that School fees are also included in the proposal and it might even be possible to negotiate the Accomodation allowance.

Fact is that I stayed with family in Riyadh between 2001 and 2004, experienced the attack May 12 2003.

We have already adapted to the differences you mention and it was not that bad, and this way you really appreciate what you have in your Home Country.

Obviously, the safety issue is something that you always must have in mind.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:59 pm
Concierge

I wouldn't do it
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:13 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I wouldn't do it
me either - but then many people wouldnt come live here either.

and the OP says they managed living the Saudi way okay .... for me it wasnt worth it - I like being an independant woman and I would feel very trapped if I was back there
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:23 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all information !

Forgot to mention that School fees are also included in the proposal and it might even be possible to negotiate the Accomodation allowance.

Fact is that I stayed with family in Riyadh between 2001 and 2004, experienced the attack May 12 2003.

We have already adapted to the differences you mention and it was not that bad, and this way you really appreciate what you have in your Home Country.

Obviously, the safety issue is something that you always must have in mind.
If you experienced the compound attacks i guess you were at Al Hamra/Sabic tower end of town.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
If you experienced the compound attacks i guess you were at Al Hamra/Sabic tower end of town.
Actually we were in Cordoba but we still felt heard/felt the gunshots and blast ! Doors and windows were blown in by the pressure wave.

I remember I just put my feet in the bed at 11.15 pm and then the gunshots started, 10-15 seconds later came the blast.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Or Jedawal or Al Hamra or the Lebanese one next to the Diplomatic Area.(Can't recall the name)

Never the less, I would go back a the drop of a hat.
Call me crazy, but Saudi was great for me.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
Call me crazy
CRAZY
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:15 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Actually we were in Cordoba but we still felt heard/felt the gunshots and blast ! Doors and windows were blown in by the pressure wave.

I remember I just put my feet in the bed at 11.15 pm and then the gunshots started, 10-15 seconds later came the blast.
I was at Cordoba at that time.
had villa 170 for a while then move to the other side by the supermarket.

The only decent thing about Saudi was that compound.
I used to love the 5-a-side matches twice a week and the pool area.

it took the sting out of being there
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Braden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to all

I spent over 4 years living in Riyadh and the social life was superb. But that WAS 25 years ago...............
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:02 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Braden
I spent over 4 years living in Riyadh and the social life was superb. But that WAS 25 years ago...............
i love saudi.. but for reasons unbeknown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.