Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh, but for 6 months only

Riyadh, but for 6 months only

Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Projectguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh, but for 6 months only

I'm considering a 6-month move to Riyadh. My workplace will be north of town along the KKIA airport road.

I've read quite a bit on this forum in the past couple of days and made a lot of +966 calls to get more information about accommodation & car leases.

The main issue I come across, which doesn't seem to get a lot of mention on the forum, is the 6-month stay.

Compounds, apart from waiting lists, all seem to offer min. 12-month contracts.

My initial thought was to get a single-bedroom apartment with my own kitchen and access to a gym, pool and local supermarket for around 100K-150K SAR p.a. Understanding the difficulty of getting into a compound, I've spoken to a few secure hotels and compound motels who have offered basic room packages for a 6-month period for 700-1000 SAR per night. (so twice my initial budget without kitchen)

I seem to be facing the same issue on the car leasing front. Only 12-month leases seem to get you reasonable offers. My initial car lease budget is around 4000 SAR per month. As far as I can tell, this would barely get me into a Nissan Micra.

Does anyone have experience getting a secure, reasonable lifestyle in Riyadh for a 6-month stay?

I'm aware that the company I work for should be responsible for making these arrangements, but we have little experience with work/living in Saudi and I'm sure I am willing to spend more time getting it right than the admin/travel team are.

Thanks for reading,

PG
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riyadh, but for 6 months only

When do the six months start? The weather will be turning very hot and nasty soon.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
When do the six months start? The weather will be turning very hot and nasty soon.
so, he will be working, the heat isn't the end of the world for most people
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

I've only ever visited the region during winter months, so am pretty unprepared for a Saudi heat wave. I'm expecting to survive with the help of a pair of shades and a few extra layers of clothing. If that doesn't work I'll go with whatever works for the locals.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

I'm aiming to arrive in Riyadh on June 1st this year - just short of 6 weeks from now.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Projectguy
I've only ever visited the region during winter months, so am pretty unprepared for a Saudi heat wave. I'm expecting to survive with the help of a pair of shades and a few extra layers of clothing. If that doesn't work I'll go with whatever works for the locals.
dress wearing
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

summer evenings are pleasant as there's no humidity and a fair drop in temps unlike sweaty Dubai

4000pm should be able to get you a good motor. Even renting by the day from expensive but convenient Hertz you can get a decentish saloon for 120 SR a day.

Lots of other car hire places. Renters market.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

remember that you won't be tax free if you go back to the UK after just 6 months
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Seder village compound motel at SR 400/night. Room with small kitchen.

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Apr 19th 2011 at 6:06 pm. Reason: additional information
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice

You can get cars for much cheaper. The worst car you can rent (semi-banged up manual Accent or Aveo) is 1500 a month. You can get a brand new automatic for maybe 2200-2500.

Your issue might be "leasing" a car without a Saudi license. I only know of one chain that will rent to someone without a Saudi license, and getting the license requires an Iqama, which requires a work visa. What visa would you have anyways? The big names (Hertz, Avis, etc) might rent to non-licensed people but I've never checked because they're so expensive.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:25 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Lionheart, you forgot to mention there's sand there, too. Just in case he hadn't realised...
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the answers - they've mostly raised new questions, but are all much appreciated.

yrsammit - I was wondering about this one as well. I'm tempted to stick to a 6-month multi-entry Visa and keep my passport for the duration of the stay. Especially if I will not be able to benefit from better accommodation by getting an Iqama.

gottheTshirt - I'll have a look at Sedar V. It doesn't seem too far out of the way and although looking a bit depressing on their website (and getting poor mention on the forum), it may be right for this stay as long as the security aspect is good.

Millhouse - I hadn't given the tax free aspect much thought. I would still be employed by a UK company and have financial commitments back here. Out of curiosity, how long would I have to stay for tax free income? A year?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Projectguy
Millhouse - I hadn't given the tax free aspect much thought. I would still be employed by a UK company and have financial commitments back here. Out of curiosity, how long would I have to stay for tax free income? A year?
You would need to complete a full April-April year. So if you move in August, about 18mths.

Move in April, and 12 months.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:46 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You would need to complete a full April-April year. So if you move in August, about 18mths.

Move in April, and 12 months.
For now. As from next April, its anyone's guess at the moment.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
For now. As from next April, its anyone's guess at the moment.
Why's that? Have I missed a major tax announcement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.