Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh Apartments: Single or Family?

Riyadh Apartments: Single or Family?

Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Semi Nomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh Apartments: Single or Family?

I'm very confused about the single/family rule on apartments and rooms here in Riyadh.

I'm a single guy but I don't want to share a bathroom or kitchen with strangers, so I prefer renting out my own apartment but apparently you need to be married. It's frustrating.

Does anybody know an easy way to find an apartment, my job place 'requested' me to find my own place even though I have no knowledge of Riyadh. It's funny coz on the contract I was supposed to staying in a compound in another city but when I arrived they changed their mind
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

SamyBesbes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riyadh Apartments: Single or Family?

Sorry I can't help much.

I will be moving to Riyadh by the end of November. I don't quite understand how your employer is asking you to find a place in a city you don't know, did you negotiate for settlement fees and realtor professional services. Can I ask you: which compound you were supposed to be in?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Super_Man is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the same boat as you 7 months ago they didn't even give me a list of real estate agents! Luckily some good peeps a worked helped out! All you need to do is tell them your married and that your wife will be joining you in a months time! Preferably take someone that speaks Arabic with you! Which area are you looking at invade I can give you some
agents I used
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Semi Nomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Samybesbes the problem isn't settlement fees, these guys are ready to literally throw the money. The problem is they can't be bothered to help you. It's so disorganised in this city it's shocking. Nobody wants to literally get up and do anything seriously! Is it your first time coming to Riyadh?

Superman I just did what you mentioned, I told them that I'm married and my wife will be joining me and they started to become more helpful. My Arabic is almost zero so I dont know if these guys are conning me too. I'm looking for a place within Suleimaniyah area due to work reasons. This city has no public transport. I'm still trying to adjust to life in Riyadh

Thanks for your help guys I appreciate it!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

There should only be some apartments that require you to be married. There are also apartments complexes for bachelors, kind of semi-compounds with a small pool and gym. Check out Compound 23, they might have a few vacancies.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

SamyBesbes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Semi Nomad
Samybesbes the problem isn't settlement fees, these guys are ready to literally throw the money. The problem is they can't be bothered to help you. It's so disorganised in this city it's shocking. Nobody wants to literally get up and do anything seriously! Is it your first time coming to Riyadh?

Superman I just did what you mentioned, I told them that I'm married and my wife will be joining me and they started to become more helpful. My Arabic is almost zero so I dont know if these guys are conning me too. I'm looking for a place within Suleimaniyah area due to work reasons. This city has no public transport. I'm still trying to adjust to life in Riyadh

Thanks for your help guys I appreciate it!
I’m expected in Riyadh by the end of November. I had never been there and I expect to be a challenge to adjust to the city and to the local culture although I speak Arabic and I’m aware about the cultural difference.
My employer will be providing with E-mover (expat relocation Service Company) and I wonder if you already heard about.
Thank you for your assistance.