Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bus driver moving to Dubai with partner

Bus driver moving to Dubai with partner

Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bus driver moving to Dubai with partner

Hi my partner is a teacher and she has accepted a job as a teacher.I am currently a bus driver in england and I was looking to see if I could do this in Dubai but I've heard this job is mainly done by Indians for not a lot of pay.I do have an income from 3 rental properties so I could probably manage on around £1000 a month .does anyone know who is the best paying company if there is any ? Or what other job role I could go for ? Thanks .
Old Mar 15th 2018, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Bus driver moving to Dubai with partner

Originally Posted by craig25
Hi my partner is a teacher and she has accepted a job as a teacher.I am currently a bus driver in england and I was looking to see if I could do this in Dubai but I've heard this job is mainly done by Indians for not a lot of pay.I do have an income from 3 rental properties so I could probably manage on around £1000 a month .does anyone know who is the best paying company if there is any ? Or what other job role I could go for ? Thanks .
I have never seen a westerner driving a bus. It's not just the money - it is the horrendously long hours of work, 6 days a week, no tachographs/drivers hours regulations here. Taxis are even worse - they have a high target which they must hit and many work 7 days a week to meet it.

5000aed is far more than most bus drivers earn - payscale.com has the average bus driver salary at 3450aed per month.

You would be better getting married so she can sponsor you, and study so you can become a teacher too. My friends are doing this - he is a plumber to trade - and they hope to travel the world whilst working once he completes his degree. If you do not want to do long term learning you could consider a CELTA course.

It seems to take a long time for non-degree holding husbands to get work here, like 2-3 years, but you never know, you might find something.

Good luck!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 7:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

As above, working as a driver is a non-starter. Unless you already have some other accredited skills which you can use, then it seems re-training is the only option. As everyone who's ever driven in the UAE knows, driving standards are third world with the addition of huge egos and huge horsepower. I just wonder whether there's a niche for an Advanced Driver Training one-man-band (and whether it'd be permitted). Presumably it wouldn't take too long for you to get accredited in UK. I'm not sure who your client base would be: big multinationals, perhaps?

Just as an example for the need: It is common to see driving instructors / learners swap seats for motorway experience -- presumably the instructor drives through town (usually congested) to get to the motorway, and then the learner takes over. The swap usually happens on the hard shoulder of the motorway...
Old Mar 16th 2018, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

I have thought about going on a personal trainer course in the UK and working in one of the gyms or even in real estate .
Old Mar 16th 2018, 9:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about going on a personal trainer course in the UK and working in one of the gyms or even in real estate .
Actually I was going to suggest those two: without wanting to be rude or disrespectful, both have low accreditation thresholds and reasonable potential returns. With real estate you'll be competing with some real cowboys.

As with everything, find your niche, your USP (unique selling point).
Old Mar 16th 2018, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Personal training is a short course and real estate would interest me also.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Personal training is a short course and real estate would interest me also.
The PT market is very oversold here but people seem to survive, especially if it’s not your sole income or you invest in some fake breasts. Fitness first are always recruiting for PTs as so many leave most as the pay is shite, but it would hit your 1k easily. Those that go independent do better.

Real estate is not easy. Full of wide boys and Indians, very competitive as all you need to do it is invest in a stripy tie.

If I was you I’d train as a nutritionist/ PT. Take on fat clients who have no idea if you’re good or not. Lol
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ha lol I think I can get my level 3 and a cpd course in nutrition
Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:05 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

You say you want to go over with your partner. Can I assume you are not married to each other? if this is the case, are you thinking of going over with her and living in the accommodation provided by her school? This could create problems if the school find out or worse, the police. How are you planning to stay longer than the 30 days allowed on visit visa (I believe that there is now also a period in between where one visit visa expires, before you can re-enter, I am sure others with more up to date knowledge will clarify).
If you are planning on being a bus driver/Personal Trainer/ESL teacher - your timescale is a bit short for training and also you are relying on the fact that you will get a job.
I don't want to rain on your parade, just looking at practical realities
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

A bus driver with 3 rental properties ? you don't need any advise from us lot mate