Riyadh

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:01 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh

Originally Posted by Nathan14
Why an exodus? They are spending a lot on infrastructural projects and have a booming banking industry. Anything I have missed then?
Worth a read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4255906/Good-times-expats-Saudi.html
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Factor in pension provision. Most jobs in the region seem to ignore that area of remuneration. And look at paying your Ni on a voluntary basis when you go (if you go)
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 4:11 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Also factor in some risks and hidden costs, that you would be exposed to:

Exchange rate
SAR de-peg from USD
Regional instability
Job insecurity
UK residency status (until you pass the Automatic Overseas Test, April 2019)
Family health issue
Mobilisation and Demobilisation
Non-earning periods between jobs
One, or both of you, or the kids not liking the expat life in KSA

If I were in your circumstances, I'd be looking for a package of at least SAR 60k per month with school fees covered by the employer. I'd also mobilise myself first to settle at work, sort out accommodation and aim to bring the kids out at the start of the next school year.

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Nov 3rd 2017 at 4:12 am. Reason: fixed typo
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Nathan14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Though I am still waiting for an offer, it looks like the total package should be between £175-200K ( including housing, school etc). Not sure if it's too steep, but it looks like it's not worth it if it's any less than that. Over pricing myself, may be, but then why not.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 3:21 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

even the Brit School isn't as good as some state schools in UK.
If you mean not as good as a state school like King Edwards Birmingham you might have a case. But it is a very good school and certainly far better than the vast majority of state schools in UK
Old Nov 6th 2017, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks to all of you for so much information you have provided, frankly speaking this will be my first move abroad so I am quite a novice. I am still waiting for the final figures. Just wondering if you could give me some genuine tips on salary negotiations too :-)
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

EK28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Riyadh with my husband and a 1 year old. He has all in salary of 45k a month plus I earn around 14k a month. We do get help towards housing allowance (included in the 45k) plus medical insurance, company car, flight allowance for all 3 of us and all visas taken care of (including multiple entry exits.) we don’t pay for schooling right now. We rent a 3 bed villa in a very well known compound for 200k a year. His salary here is 3 times what he would earn after tax in the UK. We save a ton of money and we have a very good social life. We drink most weekends (not just home brew) and do a lot of things on our compound with neighbours. It can be a very cheap life here and saving money is very easy. Even if you get an all in salary it might work out better than getting an allowance. Just make sure you get help finding a decent compound. There aren’t the huge waiting lists for bigger houses that there used to be as there were a lot (at least from our compound) who left to go home. We were thinking of leaving next summer but there has been an explosion of work in my husband's industry so we will try and stay another year or so. Great life out here if you get used to all the small quirks.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ek, so basically at least 60K as previously mentioned by Johnnyboy would do me good.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Johnnyboy
60k including all the allowances or without them? regards

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Also factor in some risks and hidden costs, that you would be exposed to:

Exchange rate
SAR de-peg from USD
Regional instability
Job insecurity
UK residency status (until you pass the Automatic Overseas Test, April 2019)
Family health issue
Mobilisation and Demobilisation
Non-earning periods between jobs
One, or both of you, or the kids not liking the expat life in KSA

If I were in your circumstances, I'd be looking for a package of at least SAR 60k per month with school fees covered by the employer. I'd also mobilise myself first to settle at work, sort out accommodation and aim to bring the kids out at the start of the next school year.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

IntMon is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnnyboy
60k including all the allowances or without them? regards
Have you not yet decided then?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Dependable on how you see it. The project keeps getting delayed.

Originally Posted by IntMon
Have you not yet decided then?