British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/riyadh-811104/)

bensims35 Oct 3rd 2013 2:58 pm

Riyadh

Hi

Just moved to Riyadh for a few months work as a UK physio in the military hospital pretty much central to the city. Wondering if any like minded expats / health professionals want to share advice / experience on this city-ie places to swim outdoor, cinemas etc,or access to compounds to use pool. I am at the Novotel Suite hotel which is pretty decent and central.

Look forward to hearing from you

Ben

nottmbantam Oct 3rd 2013 4:19 pm

Re: Riyadh

Firstly - welcome to Riyadh. It's perhaps best sampled in short bursts, being here long term can be detrimental on one's long term mental health...

Easy one out of the way first: There are no cinemas. Anywhere.

Outdoor swimming? Combine that with visiting compounds. Most 'western' style compounds have outdoor pools, however, in order to get access, you will probably need a resident to sign you on as a visitor.

Riyadh is a place where you have to make your own entertainment and create your own social scene. It forces you into it. If you can manage that, it can be quite an enjoyable place. Lots of expats tend to confine themselves to compounds, as there is very little else to do, and some compounds are good at organising social gatherings. Some others enjoy getting out and about into the surrounding desert areas as part of the local 'Hash House'.

Best of luck.

bensims35 Oct 3rd 2013 7:27 pm

thanks thats useful information. i hear that a few of the hotels ie intercontinental and marriot have outdoor pools....are these useable for non residents? or a few decent golf courses.....if anyone is up for having a game of golf or exploring these ideas give me a shout. thanks

jjheyne Oct 5th 2013 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by bensims35 (Post 10929119)
Hi

Just moved to Riyadh for a few months work as a UK physio in the military hospital pretty much central to the city. Wondering if any like minded expats / health professionals want to share advice / experience on this city-ie places to swim outdoor, cinemas etc,or access to compounds to use pool. I am at the Novotel Suite hotel which is pretty decent and central.

Look forward to hearing from you

Ben

Sorry mate! there's no cinema in Riyadh. There are lots of interesting malls like Kingdom mall where you can find most signatures and expensive products. Batha which is a cheap souq for Indians, Pakistan and Filipinos.
Other malls are Panorama, Granada mall, Riyadh Gallery, Sahara mall, Euro Marche, Othaim mall etc.

nottmbantam Oct 6th 2013 9:52 am

Golf: there are a few places I know of, namely:
Arizona Compound. Near Exit 8. Nine hole course and also has a driving range.

Dirab Golf Course. Quite a nice course by all accounts, a fair way out of town. Close to the escarpment

Riyadh Greens. Another reasonable course from what I've heard. Easiest reached by heading out on the Qassim highway. The above two can be a bit pricey.

There is apparently a course at the Intercontinental Hotel, but don't know much about that.

I brought my golf sticks with me over a year ago and have only used them since. So, I don't play often, and when I do, it's not very good!