Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

RIP Tony Nicklinson

RIP Tony Nicklinson

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:51 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RIP Tony Nicklinson

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I hope the law changes, I have a pact with a family member that if I end up in a state where I cant control my own body movements, enjoy a pint and marlboro red to end it for me. I will gladly do the same for them, I seriously cannot think of anything worse its like a permanent torture.
But would you or he really do it? I agree totally with the sentiment, and I've said that when things go beyond a certain point it'll be me, a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and a couple of bottle of tablets. But if you're doing it for/to someone else, how without being at risk of a charge of murder?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
My old man has said the same to me. Pray neither you or I ever have that situation to deal with.
but could you actually do it? kill someone even under those circumstances?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:55 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But would you or he really do it? I agree totally with the sentiment, and I've said that when things go beyond a certain point it'll be me, a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and a couple of bottle of tablets. But if you're doing it for/to someone else, how without being at risk of a charge of murder?
posted at same time, I know I couldn't do it
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:00 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

This is when it is beyond doing it yourself, It would be the hardest thing In my life but its their wishes and I would do it and I would expect the same. Just give me something that makes me sleep and not wake up.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

This is when it is beyond doing it yourself, It would be the hardest thing In my life but its their wishes and I would do it and I would expect the same. Just give me something that makes me sleep and not wake up.
A massive overload of insulin is quick and easy.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:07 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
A massive overload of insulin is quick and easy.
Yes, but a) how would you get hold of it without it being traceable back to you, and b) if the person you're assisting is beyond doing it for himself how would you make it not look like murder?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:10 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but a) how would you get hold of it without it being traceable back to you, and b) if the person you're assisting is beyond doing it for himself how would you make it not look like murder?
I can get limitless Insulin..........

Just to point out this is the last resort and I really hope I am never in that position, you dont want to see them suffer and risk jail to put them out of their misery. If they were an animal you could put them out of their misery but a human who is probably suffering more you can do nothing about. Its not right.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

In true John Bonham style!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:19 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out this is the last resort and I really hope I am never in that position, you dont want to see them suffer and risk jail to put them out of their misery. If they were an animal you could put them out of their misery but a human who is probably suffering more you can do nothing about. Its not right.

It's not right that we stop animals suffering but refuse to help a human being who is is pain and really wants to die.

Isn't an overdose of Morphine the kindest way? I'd hate to have to do it to a loved one, but if they were really suffering and absolutely certain, I think I'd be able to do that, no matter how much it upset me. I'd absolutely want someone to do that to me.

My family know my views on these issues (take any organs you want, make sure there's a 'do not resusciate' order if appropriate and under no circumstances let me suffer and lose all dignity and independence) and I really hope they carry out their promises if anything happens to me.

I understand why Tony Scott committed suicide knowing he had incurable brain cancer.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
In true John Bonham style!
Excess all areas!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:51 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Meow
It's not right that we stop animals suffering but refuse to help a human being who is is pain and really wants to die.

Isn't an overdose of Morphine the kindest way? I'd hate to have to do it to a loved one, but if they were really suffering and absolutely certain, I think I'd be able to do that, no matter how much it upset me. I'd absolutely want someone to do that to me.

My family know my views on these issues (take any organs you want, make sure there's a 'do not resusciate' order if appropriate and under no circumstances let me suffer and lose all dignity and independence) and I really hope they carry out their promises if anything happens to me.

I understand why Tony Scott committed suicide knowing he had incurable brain cancer.
I whole heartedly agree with you.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure about nowadays but I know that most terminally ill patients used to pretty much die from morphine overdose rather than the actual illness, though its usually at the stage where either one is imminent. Even to spare someone a few hours of extreme pain I think its worth it.

If you're in your right mind and can communicate your wishes then that should be enough, we all have a fundamental right to choose how we live and how we die, as far as I am concerned.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:27 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

that is exactly why he was campaigning for a change in the law. so he could ask someone to help and they would be "safe".

and yes, whilst I would undoubtedly find it hard, I would if I was asked to. I've been with terminally ill relatives (sadly plural). However, not one has asked. Not one. They have wanted to be as lucid as possible to the end. This is why I suspect the law has not been changed - to protect those who do not want to die, whatever however the ending.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
but could you actually do it? kill someone even under those circumstances?
My Dad? It would crush me to see him in a state beyond help. It would crush me to know I couldn't see him or ring him or hang onto him or have a hug off the big guy.

But those things would be impossible if in a state like Mr Nicklinson.

I don't know. Like I said, I just hope I never have to make that decision and that my Dad lives forever.