British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   RHD cars in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/rhd-cars-dubai-508390/)

Drew Griffiths Jan 23rd 2008 4:15 am

RHD cars in Dubai

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on importing a RHD car to Dubai. I have two, an old classic car which I am restoring and a TVR which you can't get out here. I have heard lots of things but basically coming back to it's who you know and there isn't a definitive rule on this. Does anyone actually know or has done it.

Eeyore Jan 23rd 2008 4:16 am

Re: RHD cars in Dubai

Maybe a stupid question, but have you actually spoken to the traffic police about this? If anyone's going to know...

shiva Jan 23rd 2008 4:45 am

Definative: Its illegal to drive a rhd car in Dubai, its also illegal to drive a car converted from rhd to lhd. Otherwise I'd be driving a Jap import for peanuts thats been converted.

Not so definative: If you are a well connected local or an expat with a LOT of Wasta then you might be able to.

In short forget about it

Paidtoplease Jan 23rd 2008 5:11 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 5826899)
Definative: Its illegal to drive a rhd car in Dubai, its also illegal to drive a car converted from rhd to lhd. Otherwise I'd be driving a Jap import for peanuts thats been converted.

Not so definative: If you are a well connected local or an expat with a LOT of Wasta then you might be able to.

In short forget about it

Being dumb here, what is RHD and LHD ???

Madam Medusa Jan 23rd 2008 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5826954)
Being dumb here, what is RHD and LHD ???

p2p...even i know this, lol!!!!!!!!

...right hand drive and left hand drive...

MM, xx

Paidtoplease Jan 23rd 2008 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5826961)
p2p...even i know this, lol!!!!!!!!

...right hand drive and left hand drive...

MM, xx

:embaressed_smile: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah thought it was something more technical Oooooooooops

Paidtoplease Jan 23rd 2008 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5827018)
did you get highlights last time you went to the Hairdresser?

Some :( it's zapping away all the inteligence.... what should I do ???

Cham128 Jan 23rd 2008 2:14 pm

there's a TVR out there already...

I asked someone if they took their car with them and they said they didn't think it would cope with the heat out there, however they'd seen a TVR driving around so if that works then anything will.

Inselaffen Jan 23rd 2008 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5828602)

I asked someone if they took their car with them and they said they didn't think it would cope with the heat out there, however they'd seen a TVR driving around so if that works then anything will.

must be Left hand drive then

thb Jan 24th 2008 2:37 am

A UK registered RHD car can be brought into the UAE and driven on the roads for maximum 6 months - it will remain on UK numberplates etc. This cannot be extended.

You cannot register a RHD car in the UAE - you can of course have one here solely for use on the track, though you'll have to trailer it to and from the track.

As for TVRs in Dubai - knowing how bad they can be in the UK, I really wouldn't want to know how 45-50C heat would play out

W10 Jan 26th 2008 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5828602)

Yeah...they'd seen A TVR. There would be a huge market for TVRs in Dubai if the company thought it would be worth their while.

I'm guessing the fact you can't buy one means the company isn't too confident. They're unreliable enough in the UK!!

Grace O Malley Jan 26th 2008 8:12 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5840634)
Yeah...they'd seen A TVR. There would be a huge market for TVRs in Dubai if the company thought it would be worth their while.

I'm guessing the fact you can't buy one means the company isn't too confident. They're unreliable enough in the UK!!

Oh god a TVR would never last out here

My brother had one in London and spent most of the time at the dealership. Brilliant car tho, love the sound of the TVR. he used to call it his shaggin wagon

w****r

zamboooka Jan 26th 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Drew Griffiths (Post 5826847)
Can anyone give me a definitive answer on importing a RHD car to Dubai. I have two, an old classic car which I am restoring and a TVR which you can't get out here. I have heard lots of things but basically coming back to it's who you know and there isn't a definitive rule on this. Does anyone actually know or has done it.

There's alotta RHD car showrooms in Al Awir. I think they'd know best since they're the ones importing such vehicles?

Try calling 00971 4 3338586/3338486 maybe they can help you with your questions? Also, the Dubai Traffic Police is a good call.

Inselaffen Jan 26th 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5841123)
There's alotta RHD car showrooms in Al Awir. I think they'd know best since they're the ones importing such vehicles?

Try calling 00971 4 3338586/3338486 maybe they can help you with your questions? Also, the Dubai Traffic Police is a good call.

think those RHD showroms are for export only!
Japanese imports being re-exported to RHD markets. India/South Africa/UK/Pakistan.

zamboooka Jan 26th 2008 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5841173)
think those RHD showroms are for export only!
Japanese imports being re-exported to RHD markets. India/South Africa/UK/Pakistan.

yep...but wont they know the general rules for importing etc..considering thats what they do. I dunno seems like its worth a shot