Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rewards for driving properly?

Rewards for driving properly?

Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rewards for driving properly?

Another damn stupid idea

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-reward-scheme

"DUBAI // A police initiative that rewards good drivers with gift vouchers and the opportunity to cancel their black points has been launched and will be backdated to January 2012.

The initiative was launched on the same day that it was announced that the licences of 836 drivers who committed major traffic offences during the first eight months of the year have been suspended by Dubai Traffic Court.

Under the so-called white points system drivers of vehicles registered in Dubai are awarded a point for each month they keep a clean sheet of traffic or salik fines.

After 12 clear months, drivers will be able to exchange the white points in return for gift vouchers redeemable at select outlets, or use them to cancel black points accrued either before or after the clean sheet.
"

Absolutely ridiculous. There are laws in place that are not enforced, the police break traffic rules all the time, and now dangerous drivers just have to drive exactly as they ought to for a month to wipe off black points.

How about doing something about all the dangerous driving, tailgating, speeding, and allowing children to be in cars not strapped in before rewarding people for what is considered perfectly normal behaviour elsewhere with a set of steak knives (or whatever)?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:38 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rewards for driving properly?

Sounds like a winner to me. I'll be quids in having not had even a speeding fine in 8 months (touches wood).
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why should you be rewarded for doing what any half-decent responsible driver should do?
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Why should you be rewarded for doing what any half-decent responsible driver should do?
I see you prefer the stick to the carrot, Meow.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:59 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I see you prefer the stick to the carrot, Meow.
I just prefer consideration for others, awareness of other drivers and some common sense.

This is not going to stop bad or dangerous driving.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:05 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I just prefer consideration for others, awareness of other drivers and some common sense.

This is not going to stop bad or dangerous driving.
I want world peace and an end to all poverty, you are asking for way too much Meow.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

It's not rewarding good driving either, just not getting caught. It simply means they'll count up the number of white marks they get away with and not have to give a shit about a blackones, since it only cancels out a good point.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cypselos
It's not rewarding good driving either, just not getting caught. It simply means they'll count up the number of white marks they get away with and not have to give a shit about a blackones, since it only cancels out a good point.
exactly. It's a bloody marvelous system.

I get around one fine a year on each of the cars. Hopefully, this system will negate them and save me handing over 1000dh each renewal.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:14 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

If I say 10 Hail Marys as well as being clean for a month, will that wipe out all my black points? Oh hang on, that doesn't sound quite right...
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:16 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I want world peace and an end to all poverty, you are asking for way too much Meow.
Really. Driving with a modicum of sense is not much to ask.

Cypselos - exactly.

I despair of such initiatives. And if you can't see why it's ridiculous, then I despair of you too.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:17 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Really. Driving with a modicum of sense is not much to ask.

I despair of such initiatives. And if you can't see why it's ridiculous, then I despair of you too.
In a civilised society you are correct.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
If I say 10 Hail Marys as well as being clean for a month, will that wipe out all my black points? Oh hang on, that doesn't sound quite right...
more fun to stick to the bloody marys and be dirty BB.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:30 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'd applaud the initiative IF there was some way to capture all the offences. Speed per se isn't dangerous: 160kph on the main drag can be perfectly safe, and 100kph can be horrendously dangerous--it depends on many factors. But (as in UK) the main focus seems to be on speed.

What is invariably dangerous is tailgating, changing lane without indicating, and having unrestrained kids in the car: get the ****ers who do that and the safety stats will rocket. I was responsible for installation of the traffic surveillance cameras on the M6 extra lane, and we got coverage of every metre of tarmac with a fairly simple system. No reason why the same couldn't be rolled out on the Dubai-AD road; have a huge public awareness campaign, employ 100 subcons to review footage, and heavily fine and/or ban serious offenders. Easy. Except when you consider they've been fannying around for at least 5 years "trying" to pass a law on baby seats...

So I've reached that point where a) I'll drive as ****ing fast as I think is safe, and b) any ****er who doesn't indicate loses all his rights to courtesy, road space and a dazzle-free journey.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't worry Meow. I understand that, following the success of this idea, they are currently drafting a similar provision into the gun licensing laws.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 11:38 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I've got an even better reward than poxy white points. Drive properly and the police don't cut your licence up in front of you.

There are so many issues on these roads. And as you guys have pointed out, the main three that need to be sorted out are:

• Speed (and not just going too fast. Also dealing with the ****ing idiots who aren't paying attention to the road and drive at 100kph/80kph on Emirates Road/SZR).
• Indicators
• Child seats

Not using indicators or cutting down service lanes is a red rag to a bull for me (especially in JLT).

Indicate and check your mirrors again after indicating (a process which should take you at least two seconds after you start indicating) and I'll let you in, no issue.

Indicate and move immediately, or don't indicate and you're not getting in until you learn some manners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.