Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Returning home after it not working out - tax question

Returning home after it not working out - tax question

Old Jan 23rd 2020, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning home after it not working out - tax question

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
I don’t think wandering around the world backpacking until April 2021 is a pragmatic way of saving some £3500 in a potential tax liability. Taking an NGO post which provides a basis for a future career as an international agricultural expert might solve the tax liability problem and provide a path to a lucrative future career.
Back packing sounds better to me.... and banging some random crusty back packer hippy chicks might cheer the poor chap up!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 26th 2020 at 7:31 pm. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Back packing sounds better to me.... and banging some random crusty back packer hippy chicks might cheer the poor chap up!
Not so sure though : I have come across many NGO projects where the participants have been enjoying a much better life than the usually miserable unwashed backpackers that get out into the sticks,
Old Jan 27th 2020, 3:21 am
Just Joined

JohnRFulton is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

I am keeping my suggestions open, but I do have a phone interview for a position back in the UK next week. Not sure it is my next step, but it is worth listening too.

As alluded to in my other posts on this thread, I am giving genuine consideration to coming out of this sector. Having seen and heard some of the salaries ex-pats are on, I am giving consideration to looking towards changing sectors before I get too old to.

I genuinely enjoy agriculture, but unless you own a farm or are doing something niche and trendy - there is no money in it compared to jobs of equal standing in other industries.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JohnRFulton
Cheers for the suggestions guys. I genuinely enjoy agriculture, but unless you own a farm or are doing something niche and trendy - there is no money in it compared to jobs of equal standing in other industries.
I can only say that the agriculturalists I worked with on WB, ADB etc. projects, particularly the agricultural economists, were in short supply and were all well paid. They deserve to be because most projects are out in the sticks.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely don't go backpacking in Morocco. Its just over a year ago now that two expert backpackers got their heads chopped off in their tents one night while camping in the Atlas Mountains.

Women or men backpacking in Morocco should have their heads examined if they even start to have the idea its safe there. I lived in the mid south east area of morocco, not far from where this occured and I verify confidently that it is not safe to backpack or travel in Morocco on foot. You are not much better off if you have your own transportation, but still more importantly realize that you don't know the culture of moroccans and you will be readily seen by them as an opportunity for exploitation regardless of the status you may have had in whatever country you came from.

Be aware, be safe, be careful. Don't be a statistic or a news item, or an idiot.