Reload this Page >

Returning to Dubai - Police Case worries

Returning to Dubai - Police Case worries

Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

chopsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to Dubai - Police Case worries

Hi all,

I left Dubai in 2008 at the time when the guy I was working for was found to be just a bit crooked, having stolen millions from investors all over the world. We all bailed quickly as it was clear it was going to be a nasty place to be soon. There were some things that he was supposed to settle for me, and he said that he had, but as he's in jail now I can't really get to ask him.

I had to give evidence against him at his trial, along with a couple of others that were close to him, and as a result strange things started to happen to me back home. All sorts of things, but the point at which I was being dragged from my car on the driveway at home, was the point at which I decided that changes needed to be made.

So, I changed my name and started a new life pretty much, and for the last two years life has been good and quiet.

I have to return to Dubai on business, and I'm worried in case for some reason there is anything registered against me as a case. The last thing I need is getting to the airport and being lifted, but I really don't know whether or not the fact that I have a new passport and name will protect me against that or not, or whether biometrics will get me if I am of interest.

Sounds all very dodgy I know, but please keep an open mind here. I'm not one of the people that fled with debts, I genuinely settled just about everything before I left, with the exception of my rent loan which the employer was supposed to pay, and confirmed he had a while back. Noone has been in touch so I presume its all ok, but the airport is no place to find out.

Lawyers tell me it will take at least a week to find out if theres anything on file for me, and I can't wait that long. Would you trust an official in Dubai if he said 'no, no its all fine' anyway.....

So, any thoughts anyone? As far as I see, biometrics is my problem, or is it? Will they have taken picture from the residency database, or not? Should I worry.... don't fancy jail much.

Keen for your views. Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

tayls123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to Dubai - Police Case worries

im keen to hear what exactly was levied against you that made you want to change your name and flee the country? what were you charged with? little paranoid to think the eye in the sky will get you...it'll be your name that might send alarm bells...fyi when you change your name my deed poll they keep your previous information on file...you dont just dissapear into the abyss simply because of a name change...chances are your passport number will bring up all kinds off goodies on the immigration computer...like your OLD passport details...

if you fancy explaining the story more it might be helpful to as whether they could still have a case against you...
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

chopsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tayls123
im keen to hear what exactly was levied against you that made you want to change your name and flee the country? what were you charged with? little paranoid to think the eye in the sky will get you...it'll be your name that might send alarm bells...fyi when you change your name my deed poll they keep your previous information on file...you dont just dissapear into the abyss simply because of a name change...chances are your passport number will bring up all kinds off goodies on the immigration computer...like your OLD passport details...

if you fancy explaining the story more it might be helpful to as whether they could still have a case against you...
Nothing was ever 'levied' against me in Dubai - we simply left the country as we didn't want to be anywhere near the criminal we found out we were working for. Knowing how 'fragile' the system is in Dubai, noone knew what would happen when his crimes unfolded. It turned out that it would have been fine, and there was no reason to have left.

The only reason I changed my name was because his thugs kept warning me off giving evidence against him in France where he was eventually caught and prosecuted, and so I wanted to move away and start again basically. Ever since I did that life has been quiet.

Only thing that existed was my rent loan, and I had been told it was settled. The bank refuse to tell me whether it has been or not over the phone; never answer emails or letters, and so being sure that they haven't filed a case for a debt I didn't know I had is difficult.

Its a simple story really.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

go for it, what could possibly go wrong ?
if they stop you just explain it was all his fault and you did nothing wrong, they'll understand.

not quite sure what answer you were expecting of a bunch of internet slackers tbh
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

tayls123 is an unknown quantity at this point

i wouldnt come back. send people, do it over the phone...if you rock up, your asking for trouble. avoid it.

and for the remainder of your life, don't get connecting flights through dubai or AD because you'll get picked up if there's something against you the moment you go through passport control.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:28 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopsy
Nothing was ever 'levied' against me in Dubai - we simply left the country as we didn't want to be anywhere near the criminal we found out we were working for. Knowing how 'fragile' the system is in Dubai, noone knew what would happen when his crimes unfolded. It turned out that it would have been fine, and there was no reason to have left.

The only reason I changed my name was because his thugs kept warning me off giving evidence against him in France where he was eventually caught and prosecuted, and so I wanted to move away and start again basically. Ever since I did that life has been quiet.

Only thing that existed was my rent loan, and I had been told it was settled. The bank refuse to tell me whether it has been or not over the phone; never answer emails or letters, and so being sure that they haven't filed a case for a debt I didn't know I had is difficult.

Its a simple story really.
If you come back you're mental.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You will be fine. I have friends who had to leave the UAE for various reasons. A few changed their name by deed poll in the UK..came back here with new passport, new name..no problem. if you are coming back for a good reason..new job/good money then just do it.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

maudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant future

if u they have an Iris recognition ,, i think they can easy know who u r
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopsy
Hi all,

I left Dubai in 2008 at the time when the guy I was working for was found to be just a bit crooked, having stolen millions from investors all over the world. We all bailed quickly as it was clear it was going to be a nasty place to be soon. There were some things that he was supposed to settle for me, and he said that he had, but as he's in jail now I can't really get to ask him.

I had to give evidence against him at his trial, along with a couple of others that were close to him, and as a result strange things started to happen to me back home. All sorts of things, but the point at which I was being dragged from my car on the driveway at home, was the point at which I decided that changes needed to be made.

So, I changed my name and started a new life pretty much, and for the last two years life has been good and quiet.

I have to return to Dubai on business, and I'm worried in case for some reason there is anything registered against me as a case. The last thing I need is getting to the airport and being lifted, but I really don't know whether or not the fact that I have a new passport and name will protect me against that or not, or whether biometrics will get me if I am of interest.

Sounds all very dodgy I know, but please keep an open mind here. I'm not one of the people that fled with debts, I genuinely settled just about everything before I left, with the exception of my rent loan which the employer was supposed to pay, and confirmed he had a while back. Noone has been in touch so I presume its all ok, but the airport is no place to find out.

Lawyers tell me it will take at least a week to find out if theres anything on file for me, and I can't wait that long. Would you trust an official in Dubai if he said 'no, no its all fine' anyway.....

So, any thoughts anyone? As far as I see, biometrics is my problem, or is it? Will they have taken picture from the residency database, or not? Should I worry.... don't fancy jail much.

Keen for your views. Many thanks in advance.
If you have a friend here and they have a copy of the relevant passport, they can go to the police station and check whether there is a case registered against you. Best to give them a letter of authority. It might take a couple of hours, but not a week.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:04 am
Just Joined

John McAire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Left dubai a few years ago with around £12k debt for the apartment i rented. The money was borrowed via emirates bank. This loan was subject to working for a local company who employed me for 3 months and let me go. I basically had no choice but to leave after a further 3 months of looking for a job.

I was given a letter stating job was no longer available. I tried to get a job but couldnt so i returned to UK. I got a letter from the bank stating police file case with a red stamp. I understand i wont now be able to go Dubai without clearing the debt. I have saved up half the money so far but still want to raise the full amount then clear it but it will be another year or 2.

Is is possible to travel to egypt? abu dhabi? Tunisia? or is the whole of middle east a no go area?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Speak to the bank, pay back what you have now and make arrangements to repay the rest in installments - so you are no longer in breach of the law.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by John McAire
Hi Left dubai a few years ago with around £12k debt for the apartment i rented. The money was borrowed via emirates bank. This loan was subject to working for a local company who employed me for 3 months and let me go. I basically had no choice but to leave after a further 3 months of looking for a job.

I was given a letter stating job was no longer available. I tried to get a job but couldnt so i returned to UK. I got a letter from the bank stating police file case with a red stamp. I understand i wont now be able to go Dubai without clearing the debt. I have saved up half the money so far but still want to raise the full amount then clear it but it will be another year or 2.

Is is possible to travel to egypt? abu dhabi? Tunisia? or is the whole of middle east a no go area?
Unless you agree something with them I'd definitely avoid Abu Dhabi, given it's the same country.

Egypt, Tunisia, you'll probably be OK because you're not coming over or too near the UAE.

That being said, I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a registered police case you'd be arrested on arrival in the UAE.

You can contact the bank now, pay off half and make arrangements to repay the rest. Once they see that is being done, they should close the police case. Emirates NBD are far from the worst bank in such situations.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 6:38 am
Banned

bahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nice

Why bother - just stay clear. Any country that jails a chap for 0.001 g and dope isn't worth taking the risk in
Old Dec 14th 2012, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is nearer Tunisia than the UAE is ... Have you ever looked at a map?

The only risk could be the GCC member states - even then, I doubt that really is a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.