Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Retaining passports

Retaining passports

Old May 29th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retaining passports

Originally Posted by busybee2
so how do you get around the fact that when you need a visa putting in it, the pro does it and then you dont see it again some companies will keep them no matter what you say
Request to get it to apply for your driving license/UAE ID card/tourist visa's or anything, and simply never give it back.

My company is holding passports of all of the employees including the GM until they finish one year, as after that period you have earned your recruitments costs back or something

I did the above and so far so good.. Although I will just refuse to give it back in case they ask. Let them sack me, I'll find a better job.

Last edited by Euc-; May 29th 2010 at 2:12 pm.
Old May 29th 2010, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retaining passports

Originally Posted by Euc-
Request to get it to apply for your driving license/UAE ID card/tourist visa's or anything, and simply never give it back.

My company is holding passports of all of the employees including the GM until they finish one year, as after that period you have earned your recruitments costs back or something

I did the above and so far so good.. Although I will just refuse to give it back in case they ask. Let them sack me, I'll find a better job.
no they give you back an colour copy with original on it, some local companies which are big and have lots of of labourers etc, will retain passports of every staff member, nowt you can do about it, unless you can use it for travel purposes, but of course that only works once you have worked for more than probation period etc (as you say) have to wait it out.