Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Residents Permit- application requirements & time scales- help!

Residents Permit- application requirements & time scales- help!

Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Bromleyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residents Permit- application requirements & time scales- help!

Hi all...

I'm currently based in the UK and I've just landed a job in Qatar. That the first big tick in the box so I'm chuffed with that.... However, I've been told by my new employer that before I can obtain my Qatari Residents Permit, I need to produce at least 3 months of bank statements demonstrating that I am being paid locally in Qatar. They are proposing that I start work on a Business Visa whilst the RP application is being processed.

Have any of you guys heard of this requirement for 3 months of bank stats to obtain the RP? Does any body know if it is true?

I wouldn't normally be so concerned but I want my family (wife & 3 kids under 5) out here ASAP. The current visa application process that has been put to me will see it taking 6 months before my family are with me and I am concerned for my wifes sanity looking after 3 kids on her own for 6 months in the UK!

Any help would greatly appreciated! Thanks to all!!

Bromleyboy
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residents Permit- application requirements & time scales- help!

They are messing you around. Welcome to the Middle East.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 1:19 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

As above, you're being messed around. You'll likely enter on a Business Visa and the RP process can start immediately. Best to bring your Educational Certificates, Professional Qualifications with you to get the process started asap. Some employers delay starting the process until you settle, a lot of UK folks leave in the first few months, unable to stand the place.

On a positive note, your wife and kids can enter qatar on their own Visitor Visa, which costs qbout QR80 each and lasts for a month. They could visit Bahrain to get a new one each month as a work around.

If it were me, I'd travel to Qatar on my own and get settled at work, sort transport, accommodation, paperwork, schooling etc. before bringing the wife and kids out for a visit. Then take things from there. Schooling for the kids will be expensive, say £10k each a year, so I hope you are on a good package.

Also, make sure you arrive in Qatar and start working before 5th April, then you'll be UK Non-resident for UK Income Tax and NI on 6th April 2014 (applied retrospectively), otherwise it will be the following April and that's a long time to survive in the workplace out here.

Watch the RP issue, once you start the process your Sponsor 'owns' you and you need his/ her permission to most things e.g. Liquor Licence, Exit Permit, Driving Licence, Bank Account etc. Also if you want to change jobs, or get terminated, you need your Sponsor to agree to the transfer of Sponsorship, otherwise a 2-year ban from Qatar kicks in.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
On a positive note, your wife and kids can enter qatar on their own Visitor Visa, which costs qbout QR80 each and lasts for a month. They could visit Bahrain to get a new one each month as a work around.

Actually you can extend a visit visa by 30 days (easy process costs QR100 at the airport passport/visa office) so you only need visit Bahrain every 60 days.

3 months of bank statements are not required for your RP, but no doubt you are on a 3 month probation and they are really saying they will not get you a RP until you have completed the 3 month. 6 months of bank statements to get a RP for your wife and kids is the requirement.

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Feb 18th 2013 at 4:01 am. Reason: correction