British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Resident/work permit requirements (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/resident-work-permit-requirements-787182/)

IndigoGirl Feb 12th 2013 9:11 pm

Resident/work permit requirements

My husband is now in Al Ain and has told me that in order for us to rent a property when I eventually get there I need to get our marriage certificate attested at the UAE Embassy. He also said that if I want to work when I get there - no matter how much or how little work I want to do - I need to get my highest education certificate attested. Therein lies a small problem as I do not think I have my education certificate any more :( Does anyone know if it has to be an education (school) certificate - I did not do any further education so high school was it - or if it can be a qualification (such as in the fitness industry) I have obtained since leaving school?

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Meow Feb 13th 2013 5:49 am

Re: Resident/work permit requirements

A marriage certificate to rent a property? I know Al Ain is conservative, but I've never heard of anyone having to do that.

Professional qualificiation, assuming related to required field of work, is fine.

Blue Cat Feb 13th 2013 5:51 am

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10541004)
My husband is now in Al Ain and has told me that in order for us to rent a property when I eventually get there I need to get our marriage certificate attested at the UAE Embassy. He also said that if I want to work when I get there - no matter how much or how little work I want to do - I need to get my highest education certificate attested. Therein lies a small problem as I do not think I have my education certificate any more :( Does anyone know if it has to be an education (school) certificate - I did not do any further education so high school was it - or if it can be a qualification (such as in the fitness industry) I have obtained since leaving school?

Thanks all :thumbsup:

you might have misunderstood him, you will need marriage certificate attested for him to be able to sponsor you, he can rent any property using his residency visa.

IndigoGirl Feb 13th 2013 6:10 am

Ahhh - thanks Meow and Blue Cat - not the first thing he (not me - haha) will have misunderstood :)

busybee2 Feb 14th 2013 5:04 pm

but i am hearing that spouses are required to show their tenancy agreements to get their residency visas in abu dhabi. has happened a few times but not sure if its required for all. i dont need to renew mine until june time so wont be able to test it out just yet, youngest child is renewed in march but then surely a tenancy agreement shouldnt be required.. but...

busybee2 Feb 14th 2013 5:06 pm

you do have to get attested your highest degree certification/high school certificate to get a work visa. new rule came in maybe a couple of years ago.