Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Residensial compounds in Riyadh

Residensial compounds in Riyadh

Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

yazq is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Residensial compounds in Riyadh

We are looking to move to Riyadh over the summer . Our two young kids would be attending the British school so we would be looking for accomodation in compounds near the school. Could anyone advise us on which compounds to look at and also an idea of the cost of a 3-4 bed villa in these places. Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residensial compounds in Riyadh

Please have a look at this .
I posted this last year .
Also please do some research as a lot has been covered in recent threads on this forum.
Good luck.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/COMPOUNDS_IN_RIYADH
Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply coffindodger I have seen the list of compounds and I was hoping to get the thoughts of some of the expats with young kids actually living there as I have found these experiences tend to give me the best idea of which compound would be most suitable for us so we can focus our search there.
I will also take a good look at the old threads too
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Cyber_Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Residensial compounds in Riyadh

hey mate
Just living in any of the big compounds in riyadh is good enough, u get freedom, some are more limited to number and hours of guests but personally and family wise its good.

The compounds i know near the british school are:

Qurdoba, arizona, Hamra, Fal and maybe Grenada. 1st issue about compounds is the long as waiting lists, especially for the cheaper units (like one & 2 bedroom apartments) its easier to find Villas 2-4 bedrooms, which aren't cheap.

average pricing of Villas is between 100 and 200,000 SAR Annually (around 2000 to 3000 Pounds)

cheers
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the names of the compounds cyberdragon. It gives me a springboard from which to start my search.

Do you know if these compounds tend to have long waiting lists for the villas we would be looking at a atleast a 3 bed as we have 2 kids.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:30 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Freedom?
you are in a compound. Big cage,like what animals live in,you can pretend you have freedom though.

Why do expats still live on these compounds?

I have worked around ksa now for the last 12 months, travelling on my own mainly,jizan,abah,bany malik.baha ,faifa,Jeddah,rhiad, why do westerners still live on compounds? I have had one incident in Jeddah from a nutcase,no worse than London,where I had the wrong coloured skin.

But I have never felt threatened in ksa,more often I have felt ignorant as kids have tried talking to me and I have not heard them until someone told me as they are usually shy when approaching foreigners.

I think westerners should get out more.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynster
Freedom?
you are in a compound. Big cage,like what animals live in,you can pretend you have freedom though.

Why do expats still live on these compounds?

I have worked around ksa now for the last 12 months, travelling on my own mainly,jizan,abah,bany malik.baha ,faifa,Jeddah,rhiad, why do westerners still live on compounds? I have had one incident in Jeddah from a nutcase,no worse than London,where I had the wrong coloured skin.

But I have never felt threatened in ksa,more often I have felt ignorant as kids have tried talking to me and I have not heard them until someone told me as they are usually shy when approaching foreigners.

I think westerners should get out more.

I think this is still fresh in everyones memory who has lived in Riyadh more than 12 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Marshall_Johnson,_Jr.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:18 am
Just Joined

I'm lebanese, but still they look at us like we're foreigners, for me its not as much worry about criminal or terrorism acts as much as its about freedom in life style, i know its like a big cage, but all of saudi is like a big cage, and compounds are simply VIP cages.

You have to live in a compound in order to be able to invite friends of the opposite friends over, to have gatherings or even just a movie night, and to be able to drink and keep bottles at ur place, and play music, or to go to the restaurant with ur friends... without worrying about Cops or hay2a (mutawaa) people busting you and deporting you !!! so yeh u still need to live in compounds.

even though rules here have been milder than before, and even though i've been to friends houses and to parties in villas, its a risk that we take everytime, and i doubt you'd want to be paranoid everytime u go out to a friends place, so i say when it comes to living, Westerners Stay In
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:32 am
Just Joined

desertgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am in the exact position you are in and trying to find exactly the same information you are?? For some reason I am unable to send you a private message?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Hey u can try this site, they have vacancies often and they got some nice compounds, there's a new compound not yet mentioned on the website, u can ask about it, should be good but a bit pricey maybe.

http://www.expatrealty.com/main.htm
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Hi,
Desert girl I will see if I can send you a private message!
Thanks for the link cyber dragon I will check it out.
As for living outside the compound that is not something we would consider at the moment especially as a woman I value the fact that at least within the compounds "cages" I would be able to move around with less restriction.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:15 am
Just Joined

oh trust me even as a guy, i get as much criticism as girls who don't cover their hair, coz my style is bit funky and i got tats and they frown upon that
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Sheikhspeare is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, did anyone find any decent apartments or compounds in Riyadh. I am still having a lot of trouble finding any availability.

Imran
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

I dont mean to be rude or racist here, but you will find a lot of compound managers will not allow into there compounds Middle Eastern Gentlemen & families, my compound has a very strict policy re this matter.
Some compounds Like Rotunda has a mixed policy where all nationilites
are allowed in.
Also with the closure of at least 4 compounds here in riyadh due to maintenance and rebranding issues.
So yes Compound accom here in riyadh is getting very tough at the moment.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also it may help if you went round and had a look at some of the compounds .
NO compound manager will even talk to you untill you have your Iquama and all your papers in place in your hand.
So it may mean looking at staying in a hotel for a few weeks untill you have your iquama.
If you have the money up front then yes of course money talks and the bulsxit walks
a nice wad of money will always open a lot of doors here in the sand pit.

Last edited by coffindodger; Apr 8th 2010 at 3:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.