Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Residency and work permit in Dubai with a police record

Residency and work permit in Dubai with a police record

Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency and work permit in Dubai with a police record

Originally Posted by Welsh boy
It's medical - I will certainly require a professional good conduct certificate but as this incident occurred in very personal circumstances I am hoping, as it is in the UK, hospital HR department will want to know but will not stop you getting a job. Professionally I have good standing and skills.

This is a difficult topic to discuss as I don't want to be judged as some kind of awful person but I'm glad you guys are helping me find out!
My hunch is that you'll be OK. But follow scamp's advice.

Happy to have a beer but don't get too pissed in my company
Old Nov 16th 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

It'll depend upon the level of your required security clearance. All our employees need to get a police clearance certificate from their home country, and then, on visa renewal, from the UAE police. We work in or close to the government, so have a slightly more advanced security clearance - I don't know if that also applies for hospitals. But, as already said, ask what documentation you require.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
It'll depend upon the level of your required security clearance. All our employees need to get a police clearance certificate from their home country, and then, on visa renewal, from the UAE police. We work in or close to the government, so have a slightly more advanced security clearance - I don't know if that also applies for hospitals. But, as already said, ask what documentation you require.
That is good advice. If you're managing/working with key government assets, the level of scrutiny you're subject to will be necessarily higher. It is one of the tasks which drags out the appointment process once you've already been offered a job here in certain roles/industries, from experience.

A police caution in the UK does not count as a conviction or criminal record however, so you might be okay. I would wait to find out what documentation is needed and provide just that. If the job is sensitive enough that police cautions are an issue then they will ask/check and you're screwed anyway, in which case you're better off finding that out in the UK than when you've already set foot in the UAE. If it's actual convictions/a criminal record they're after then the caution doesn't count.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Now that I am at work... Here is the process for getting a police certificate, if you need it (according to our HR, and for UK employees. This was produced last year, so I cannot promise if it is exactly correct now - nor whether the links still function). I don't know whether it then needs to be attested at the embassy etc...

In the UK individuals can only obtain a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. It was previously known as a CRB checks.
They are computer generated in the UK and, as such, they are not stamped or signed.
To confuse things further, individuals applying for a basic disclosure have to apply through Disclosure Scotland and they don’t have to be from Scotland to do this:
Basic Disclosure Online
They can only apply on line if they have an address in the UK. If they have an address outside of the UK they have to apply using a paper copy!! Here is the link to request one:
Request forms - Disclosure Scotland
You can look into this further through the Disclosure Barring Service on the link below:
https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barrin...check/overview
Old Nov 18th 2015, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

First it was the south American thieves breaking into the ranches and now violent criminals from the UK.
Close the Borders and keep more rifraf out
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

As far I am aware nowhere on the actual visa application does it ask about criminal convictions. But if it's a requirement for the company, then what SCAMP has suggested is sound advice.