Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Residency and work permit in Dubai with a police record

Residency and work permit in Dubai with a police record

Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Welsh boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency and work permit in Dubai with a police record

Hello, I've just been offered a hospital job in Dubai but unfortunately I have a police record, and want to find out if this will stop me moving there. I received a police caution for assault in 2012. The charges were subsequently dropped and there was no conviction.

My prospective employer does not know this as yet, because it was never asked and I've not had to fill out any forms as yet. I was headhunted for this job. I will obviously make a full disclosure but am worried. Will I need to disclose my police record when the work permit/residence visa is applied for? Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency and work permit in Dubai with a police record

Originally Posted by Welsh boy
Hello, I've just been offered a hospital job in Dubai but unfortunately I have a police record, and want to find out if this will stop me moving there. I received a police caution for assault in 2012. The charges were subsequently dropped and there was no conviction.

My prospective employer does not know this as yet, because it was never asked and I've not had to fill out any forms as yet. I was headhunted for this job. I will obviously make a full disclosure but am worried. Will I need to disclose my police record when the work permit/residence visa is applied for? Thanks
A police caution in the UK is, in most countries, classed as guilty, as basically you wree saying, OK I did that, but just don't want to go to court. I suspect that it may cause you some problems down the line.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 8:21 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Not once in my visa process was I asked about criminal history. I am quite sure its against UK data protection laws to even give that information out.

If that's the case should I of told my company about my speeding fine, where I was going 78mph on the m6?
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A police caution in the UK is, in most countries, classed as guilty, as basically you wree saying, OK I did that, but just don't want to go to court. I suspect that it may cause you some problems down the line.
Thanks - I did actually admit to it because it was the truth, and the circumstances exceptional. That is why the charges were dropped. With regard to this job offer I don't know if I should talk to them about it at the outset so that it does not seem that I'm trying to hide it at a later date (and risk losing the job opportunity) or to tell them when/if asked (and risk being looked upon unfavourably for that). I don't wish to paint myself in a particular light when I am obviously trying to secure a good post.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iggle
Not once in my visa process was I asked about criminal history. I am quite sure its against UK data protection laws to even give that information out.

If that's the case should I of told my company about my speeding fine, where I was going 78mph on the m6?
I know visa applications in the US, Oz etc will ask for a police certificate which will have details of all cautions, convictions etc. Does this not apply to the UAE then?
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Data Protection classes criminal records as sensitive data which means it has to be kept in a certain (very secure) way.

Companies can ask for CRB checks and disclosure of records though.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

What's the job? If a school teacher you may need a good conduct certificate. Otherwise your cheeky headbutt will be OK.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Data Protection classes criminal records as sensitive data which means it has to be kept in a certain (very secure) way.

Companies can ask for CRB checks and disclosure of records though.
As can individuals, and unless you provide them for any country you have lived in for more than 6 months you certiainly are not going to get an immigrant visa for USA Canada, Australia and New Zealand and others, in fact you have to disclose them even if you just want to visit the USA, there is currently a huge thread about this on the US immigration and visa forum, and it shows that those that apply for a visit visa if they aren't allowed to use ESTA are having to wait 7 or 8 months IF they are recommended for a waiver. Things like parking and speeding fines are NOT included, it's crimes that involve 'Moral Turpitude' which are usually the more serious crimes AND any drug related ones.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As can individuals, and unless you provide them for any country you have lived in for more than 6 months you certiainly are not going to get an immigrant visa for USA Canada, Australia and New Zealand and others, in fact you have to disclose them even if you just want to visit the USA, there is currently a huge thread about this on the US immigration and visa forum, and it shows that those that apply for a visit visa if they aren't allowed to use ESTA are having to wait 7 or 8 months IF they are recommended for a waiver. Things like parking and speeding fines are NOT included, it's crimes that involve 'Moral Turpitude' which are usually the more serious crimes AND any drug related ones.
Interesting, but highly irrelevant.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
What's the job? If a school teacher you may need a good conduct certificate. Otherwise your cheeky headbutt will be OK.
It's medical - I will certainly require a professional good conduct certificate but as this incident occurred in very personal circumstances I am hoping, as it is in the UK, hospital HR department will want to know but will not stop you getting a job. Professionally I have good standing and skills.

This is a difficult topic to discuss as I don't want to be judged as some kind of awful person but I'm glad you guys are helping me find out!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:17 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
otherwise your cheeky headbutt will be OK.
haha

This is a difficult topic to discuss as I don't want to be judged as some kind of awful person but I'm glad you guys are helping me find out!
I doubt any one cares on this forum, of course we will judge you - but more for a laugh. We'd rather be helpful than difficult. My personal experience was (unless someone did it behind my back) I wasn't asked for criminal records

Last edited by iggle; Nov 16th 2015 at 10:20 am.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's medical - I will certainly require a professional good conduct certificate but as this incident occurred in very personal circumstances I am hoping, as it is in the UK, hospital HR department will want to know but will not stop you getting a job. Professionally I have good standing and skills.

Can you ask them subtly?

Like;

'If successful, please can you tell me the complete list of documents I will need to have sorted and prepared for the role, such as; Certificates Attested? References? Birth / Marriage Certificates etc?'

I'd be tempted to lump it in the list but also tempted to leave it out and see what they say you'll need.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:43 am
Just Joined

haha

I doubt any one cares on this forum, of course we will judge you - but more for a laugh. We'd rather be helpful than difficult. My personal experience was (unless someone did it behind my back) I wasn't asked for criminal records
Thanks, it's something that would make you laugh but I can't post it here - maybe over a drink when I eventually get to Dubai!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
Can you ask them subtly?

Like;

'If successful, please can you tell me the complete list of documents I will need to have sorted and prepared for the role, such as; Certificates Attested? References? Birth / Marriage Certificates etc?'

I'd be tempted to lump it in the list but also tempted to leave it out and see what they say you'll need.
Scamp, that's a great idea - I'll ask them to send me a complete list and see what they say. Thanks!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 10:46 am
Banned

Scamp, that's a great idea - I'll ask them to send me a complete list and see what they say. Thanks!
I wouldn't bring up criminal record, let them tell you its required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.