British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   The Residency Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/residency-visa-446621/)

Majj May 2nd 2007 9:00 am

The Residency Visa

I have been offered another job to return to Dubai, again. I left in Summer/Autumn of 2005, therefore the 6 month ban has expired. I would just point out that I did have my visa cancelled properly and not just did a runner.

The question is though, does anyone know how long it is taking to get residency visas at the moment? Reason is I would want to get the wife and kids over sooner rather than later and so that my son is ready for school in September.

ALso can my family stay with me after I have been there for about 5 weeks or so?

Last time it didn't take too long.

Yes I know I have togo through all the blood tests and all that crap all over again.

Many thanks.

Blue Cat May 2nd 2007 9:04 am

Re: The Residency Visa

Originally Posted by Majj (Post 4726933)
I have been offered another job to return to Dubai, again. I left in Summer/Autumn of 2005, therefore the 6 month ban has expired. I would just point out that I did have my visa cancelled properly and not just did a runner.

The question is though, does anyone know how long it is taking to get residency visas at the moment? Reason is I would want to get the wife and kids over sooner rather than later and so that my son is ready for school in September.

ALso can my family stay with me after I have been there for about 5 weeks or so?

Yes I know I have togo through all the blood tests and all that crap all over again.

Many thanks.

It really depends on who you work for and how much you hassle them to be honest with you - are you a British passport holder??? Your wife wants to start looking into schools ASAP and the majority of them are full. I have a friend coming from States and she is having a hard time trying to get her daughter a place in year 9. Another thing worth mentioning - since you left the property prices have gone mental as have school fees - make sure you get a good deal. :lol:

twinkle-star May 2nd 2007 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4726945)
It really depends on who you work for and how much you hassle them to be honest with you - are you a British passport holder??? Your wife wants to start looking into schools ASAP and the majority of them are full. I have a friend coming from States and she is having a hard time trying to get her daughter a place in year 9. Another thing worth mentioning - since you left the property prices have gone mental as have school fees - make sure you get a good deal. :lol:

I know people in the Springs who have paid 180dhs for a 2 bed villa:eek:
Its worth shopping around but if you dont know and the villa is empty you can get stung!:ohmy:

Blue Cat May 2nd 2007 9:25 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 4727023)
I know people in the Springs who have paid 180dhs for a 2 bed villa:eek:
Its worth shopping around but if you dont know and the villa is empty you can get stung!:ohmy:

180 dhs is cheap!!! I know you mean 180k dhs!!! Just had a quick look in property paper and a three bed in the Springs is getting very close to 200K, and Jumeirah Islands - 300k!!!

littlejimmy May 2nd 2007 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4727047)
180 dhs is cheap!!! I know you mean 180k dhs!!! Just had a quick look in property paper and a three bed in the Springs is getting very close to 200K, and Jumeirah Islands - 300k!!!

Thank **** we're leaving.

Majj, when do you need a Villa from?

Blue Cat May 2nd 2007 9:29 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4727055)

how much you paying for yours??? I know someone who might want it but as soon as you move out they will stick 40k on it guaranteed.

littlejimmy May 2nd 2007 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4727065)
how much you paying for yours??? I know someone who might want it but as soon as you move out they will stick 40k on it guaranteed.

140k. I could tell the Landlord that I'm leaving and have someone lined up, but only if he only puts it up 10k or so.

Majj May 2nd 2007 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4726945)

Thanks for that. I thought that the school situation had calmed down a bit because a few new ones had been built. But obviously not then!:eek:

Sounds like property prices are still going crazy, I have a budget of around AED 150k per year. There is no way I would come out on anything less that AED 40k per month package.

Majj May 2nd 2007 10:01 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4727055)

LJ, I would initially arrive around mid June, family to follow.

littlejimmy May 2nd 2007 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Majj (Post 4727176)
LJ, I would initially arrive around mid June, family to follow.

My family are going back to the UK mid-July. If you're interested, I could ask the landlord.

Majj May 2nd 2007 10:15 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4727218)
My family are going back to the UK mid-July. If you're interested, I could ask the landlord.

Yes, that would be useful thanks.

Miss Eck May 2nd 2007 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Majj (Post 4726933)

Many thanks.

Depends on the company. We manage to get them within 5-7 working days of the joiner arriving in the country. We apply for an employment visa in advance and arrange Marhaba and deposit the visa with them.

Majj May 2nd 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 4727398)
Depends on the company. We manage to get them within 5-7 working days of the joiner arriving in the country. We apply for an employment visa in advance and arrange Marhaba and deposit the visa with them.

Yes this sounds familiar. Being dragged all over Dubai International Airport by Marhaba. So sounds like from what you're saying it need not take 3 months.

Miss Eck May 2nd 2007 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Majj (Post 4727572)
Yes this sounds familiar. Being dragged all over Dubai International Airport by Marhaba. So sounds like from what you're saying it need not take 3 months.

Exactly! I really don't know why it takes some companies so long.

twinkle-star May 2nd 2007 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4727047)

We were told ours was high when we came 10 months ago and that property prices were going down but never happened.

It was Wotsherface who arrived two weeks ago she said hers was 200kdhs but i said that could not be right, she said she knew it was over 160kdhs as thats the price they were looking for but couldnt get one cheap enough she said she was sure she saw a 2 somewhere there and that it was 200k. We agreed on the middle figure in the end ...so she could be right but seems expensive for a two bed! :confused: