British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Research. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/research-882598/)

shake2000 Aug 31st 2016 6:07 pm

Research.

Hi All,

I will be in Dubai for 3 days mid September to meet with my (hopeful) future employer and am looking to use the time to do as much research as I can. It's a given Dubai is very expensive and I want to make sure we're making the right move

My main concern is around housing and schooling. Any advice on what is the best way to go about and look at potential housing or neighborhoods? Do we need one agent to look at all properties or do you usually drive around and just get a feel for the area first?

For schooling, I can see fees listed on majority of school websites and I understand it is advisable to first decide on housing before school but am I missing anything?

We're a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 toddler - 3 years and 1 new born) and are being offered somewhere in the range of 65K AED per month plus family insurance plus bonus. I always think of the bonus as a bonus and never include it in my calculations so that is irrelevant.

I understand budgets are relative but just testing the waters to see if we should be concerned about anything or advice such as.... RUN, you'll starve!

Thank you in advance.

TGFKASE Sep 1st 2016 6:30 am

Re: Research.

Originally Posted by shake2000 (Post 12040367)
Hi All,

I will be in Dubai for 3 days mid September to meet with my (hopeful) future employer and am looking to use the time to do as much research as I can. It's a given Dubai is very expensive and I want to make sure we're making the right move

My main concern is around housing and schooling. Any advice on what is the best way to go about and look at potential housing or neighborhoods? Do we need one agent to look at all properties or do you usually drive around and just get a feel for the area first?

For schooling, I can see fees listed on majority of school websites and I understand it is advisable to first decide on housing before school but am I missing anything?

We're a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 toddler - 3 years and 1 new born) and are being offered somewhere in the range of 65K AED per month plus family insurance plus bonus. I always think of the bonus as a bonus and never include it in my calculations so that is irrelevant.

I understand budgets are relative but just testing the waters to see if we should be concerned about anything or advice such as.... RUN, you'll starve!

Thank you in advance.

Just to confirm, the salary + health insurance + bonus is it, no other freebies / allowances?

DXBtoDOH Sep 1st 2016 6:48 am

People say find the school first, then housing. School places are difficult to obtain, especially at the better and established schools.

You have a healthy income and let's assume you're willing to spend up to 200k for housing, your options will be a handful of areas: Jumeira/Umm Suqeim, Arabian Ranches, Springs (maybe Meadows/Lakes) Victory Heights, JVT. It comes down to whether you want something shiny and new in a master planned community out in the desert or an older/smaller villa near the beaches and much closer to the amenities.

As for seeing places in person, you can drive around. Agents won't deal with you as they only deal with people ready to sign a lease tomorrow. Google image search of the various communities are also a good way to see what they look like.

mission Sep 1st 2016 7:32 am

does the AED 65k include school fees ie have you been given a school fee allowance within that AED 65k and if so how much is it - or is your employer going to foot that bill entirely?

school fees are extortionate out here.

shake2000 Sep 1st 2016 10:58 am

Thank you all.

No extra school fees or freebies, 65k is all in. No more bets :)

Millhouse Sep 1st 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by shake2000 (Post 12041026)
Thank you all.

No extra school fees or freebies, 65k is all in. No more bets :)

You're going to be fine on that. School fees won't bite you for ages and when they do you may be ready to leave, promoted, or fired. Even when they do, I don't think they will bite you that hard. Shove the ankle biters in the same room to save on accommodation in the first year to see how it goes.

DXBtoDOH Sep 1st 2016 12:46 pm

Agree with Millhouse.

In your first year, get a 2-bedroom flat somewhere like the Greens or Downtown or the Marina. 120-130k max. Much lower utilities. Greens is very popular with families and quite...green (for Dubai, that is).

The more you save in your first year the better off you are in the long run. And it's psychologically quite good because too many come in their first year and max out their housing budgets and struggle to save because they can't face the reality of downsizing.

After you've been here for a year and understand the lay of the land and all the costs on ground, then feel free to upgrade.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12041081)
You're going to be fine on that. School fees won't bite you for ages and when they do you may be ready to leave, promoted, or fired. Even when they do, I don't think they will bite you that hard. Shove the ankle biters in the same room to save on accommodation in the first year to see how it goes.

shake2000 Sep 1st 2016 12:57 pm

Thank you all, much appreciated.

We're holding our housing budget to 180K and will see what we can get and then look into it further the following year.

Also, I will be there alone for the first 2-3 months, are there any temporary monthly rentals? I want to save during that time considering the extra set up costs.

Thank you again.

Millhouse Sep 1st 2016 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by shake2000 (Post 12041110)
Thank you all, much appreciated.

We're holding our housing budget to 180K and will see what we can get and then look into it further the following year.

Also, I will be there alone for the first 2-3 months, are there any temporary monthly rentals? I want to save during that time considering the extra set up costs.

Thank you again.

I would consider pushing down 180k to 160k. Utilities in the 180k villa will be about 25k a year. In a 160k, utilities will still be about 25k a year but at least they will feel free.

shake2000 Sep 1st 2016 1:42 pm

Makes sense, thank you.

I am all for better safe than sorry, it's always better to have extra cash than being under and scrambling.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12041147)
I would consider pushing down 180k to 160k. Utilities in the 180k villa will be about 25k a year. In a 160k, utilities will still be about 25k a year but at least they will feel free.