Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

RERA dispute - what are my chances

RERA dispute - what are my chances

Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RERA dispute - what are my chances

As an update and conclusion. I got legal advice (friend is a partner in a law firm and he found a local lawyer for me)... I have a case as I'm under no obligation to accept the new place (which is technically an early termination from their side of the tenancy contract) and they are in breach of their obligations of providing suitable accommodation.

I explained this to the landlord - along with the words, so, if we don't have all this sorted by this afternoon, I'll go to the court in the morning.

Lots of panic, followed by some inaction and they begged for 24hours grace (they needed CEO approval and he was busy). It came back, I can leave at any time without penalty and they will refund the rent on my account.

I move in a week or so.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
As an update and conclusion. I got legal advice (friend is a partner in a law firm and he found a local lawyer for me)... I have a case as I'm under no obligation to accept the new place (which is technically an early termination from their side of the tenancy contract) and they are in breach of their obligations of providing suitable accommodation.

I explained this to the landlord - along with the words, so, if we don't have all this sorted by this afternoon, I'll go to the court in the morning.

Lots of panic, followed by some inaction and they begged for 24hours grace (they needed CEO approval and he was busy). It came back, I can leave at any time without penalty and they will refund the rent on my account.

I move in a week or so.
I hope you got that in writing!!! As I am sure you will, and well done for sticking to your guns.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 11:33 am
Just Joined

1one is an unknown quantity at this point

I move in a week or so.
Glad to hear this came to a good ending for you with minimal fuss. Moving is never an easy job, let alone twice! It would have been best to hire a lawyer to avoid the extra hassles but either way, it's much better you have a clear way out now.
Happy househunting!
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:41 pm
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1one
Glad to hear this came to a good ending for you with minimal fuss. Moving is never an easy job, let alone twice! It would have been best to hire a lawyer to avoid the extra hassles but either way, it's much better you have a clear way out now.
Happy househunting!
If only lawyers here were not so expensive, one would be hiring them all the time!
He did consult a lawyer though, I think.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Scamp
Article (15)

Landlord shall be committed to hand over the property in good condition that enables tenant to obtain the benefit subject of the tenancy contract.

Article (25)
b. If the property requires renovation or comprehensive maintenance which cannot be executed while tenant is occupying the property, provided that a technical report issued by Dubai Municipality or accredited by it is to be submitted to this effect.

Dubai Municipality contact

I move in a week or so.
I was a lot cheaper.