Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Requesting an idiots guide please!

Requesting an idiots guide please!

Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

greenergrass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Requesting an idiots guide please!

Hello all, I have spent days reading through the forums and although I don't think I would like to be at the end of it the humour here has been fabulous!

Despite reading many, many hilarious posts I still have a few questions (possibly idiotic ones) so I hope there is guidance out there please..

Just a few details which everyone seems to ask:
We are a family of 6; unmarried parents of a 15yr, 7 yr, 2yr and 1yr with a vision of travelling to the UAE under the guise of a 2 year experience, if it works great we might even stay, if not we'll come home. Mr greenergrass is discussing a move with his existing company who have a base there (medical equipment - he's a sales manager), Children 1 & 2 currently attend private school. Me - I have previously been a personal assistant at board level, 5yrs exp, HND qualified, would prefer the ladies who lunch life though like in the UK. Although with the increase in costs this is surely to end - hence the consideration to move. If I'm going to work full time I'd rather have all the pennies in my pocket. We already pay the school fees and from what I've read they're around 3k a year cheaper per child than here, which maybe a reflection on the standard.... However, after a friend dying at such a young age before Christmas we have decided this year we will make a move and experience life, any financial benefits greatly received And the sun....

Questions:

- Jobs don't state hours -is it a 9-5 place? Is the work ethic like home - work all the hours?
- Is there any holiday childcare for children or out of hours school clubs?
- Looking at property - where is there a guide for the villa 'types'? I've read type 16, type 17 but do not understand - is it detached, semi???
- Are the schools really not that great? C1 only has a year of IGCSE to sit and as an A* (takes after me hehehe) student don't want to muck that up.
- Is there a 'league table' of schools - that's assuming I can get a place as it seems they are a rarity?
- There seems to be an opinion that the utilities (I assume water & elec) are high. Besides rent is this the only other bill - i.e. no council tax etc?

I've got the gist of his package negotiation, no less than here, tax free is irrelevant, accommodation on top, school fees and medical - flights home x 6 a bonus???

I'm sure there will be many things missed but I appreciate your time to look,
cheers
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:59 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requesting an idiots guide please!

Others here who have been in Dubai longer than me, and have experience of some of the other things you've talked about, will be able to help more than I can, but – and it's a big but – the one thing that stuck out for me is that you're an unmarried couple.

That's simply not going to happen out here. I'm not sure if after you got married, the kids would be okay or not, but as it stands, there's no way that they'll get visas.

Nor will you be able to 'legally' cohabit.

That's something that's very important to consider.

In other words, would you and your partner be willing to get married to live out here? If the answer is no, then there's no point in anyone else answering any more of your questions. It's simply not possible. You might be able to get away with it as a childless couple, but not when there are children involved. Too many forms. Too many opportunities to be caught out.

Harsh, but I'm afraid that's the way it is out here.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Others here who have been in Dubai longer than me, and have experience of some of the other things you've talked about, will be able to help more than I can, but – and it's a big but – the one thing that stuck out for me is that you're an unmarried couple.

That's simply not going to happen out here. I'm not sure if after you got married, the kids would be okay or not, but as it stands, there's no way that they'll get visas.

Nor will you be able to 'legally' cohabit.

That's something that's very important to consider.

In other words, would you and your partner be willing to get married to live out here? If the answer is no, then there's no point in anyone else answering any more of your questions. It's simply not possible. You might be able to get away with it as a childless couple, but not when there are children involved. Too many forms. Too many opportunities to be caught out.

Harsh, but I'm afraid that's the way it is out here.
Thanks auzdafluff. I have read about that and I suppose after 17 years together a quick trip to a registry office wouldn't hurt (unless I later decide to strip him of all!). The only reason we never did was the expense - C1 came along and the money was better spent on a house deposit, then C2 came along, then school fees.....

The Cx4 all have his surname (his kids). Do we have to take a marriage certificate with us or as part of a visa application? Is that how they will know we've only just wed?

Last edited by greenergrass; Jan 6th 2011 at 10:32 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenergrass
Thanks auzdafluff. I have read about that and I suppose after 17 years together a quick trip to a registry office wouldn't hurt (unless I later decide to strip him of all!). The only reason we never did was the expense - C1 came along and the money was better spent on a house deposit, then C2 came along, then school fees.....

The Cx4 all have his surname (his kids). Do we have to take a marriage certificate with us or as part of a visa application? Is that how they will know we've only just wed?
It don't matter none when you were wed - but you gotta get wed, otherwise no sponsorship for you, and you either stay back in the UK or make a visa run to Hatta every 2 months whilst illegally co-habiting and wondering whether some petulent neighbour is gonna shop you to the fuzz....
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE...and congrats on your impending marriage!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You will need your marriage certificate authenticated and also your educational certificates. You need to do them before you leave the UK. Buy the Explorer book (amazon) it is a very usefull guide for newbies.

There is no way round getting married. You will not be able to put the kids in school/get visas etc without it.
You will obviously need a villa with the 6 of you and if you are going to work then you will need a housemaid.
You can get villas for 200,000dhs or less and your dewa bills will be about 1500/2000 + a month.
You have to pay an agents fee 5% and a deposit 5/10%. You should be able to get 4/6 cheques. There is a housing tax 5% of the rental price payable each month with the Dewa bill.

If the package is +housing + school fees then you should definately come over for the experience.
If you let us have more info re package and where your 'husband' will be working we will be able to help you more with areas and schools.

Welcome to the bored.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

"I've got the gist of his package negotiation, no less than here, tax free is irrelevant, accommodation on top, school fees and medical - flights home x 6 a bonus???"

That's the right attitude - if you do decide to make the move, you'll be fine.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, in this day and age you will be lucky to get a contract that will educate 4 children, the attitude these days is why pick a family of six when you get a single man or a married couple. It will cost you ALOT of money to raise 4 kids here. Good luck though
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Questions:

- Jobs don't state hours -is it a 9-5 place? Is the work ethic like home - work all the hours? Depends on the company, but generally quite long. Contracts can be changed from time to time, without consultation/agreement from you.
- Is there any holiday childcare for children or out of hours school clubs? Most friends I have who work have maids who can look after the kids during holidays.
- Looking at property - where is there a guide for the villa 'types'? I've read type 16, type 17 but do not understand - is it detached, semi??? Have a look at Dubizzle.com, or propertyfinder.ae, you will get a better idea from there
- Are the schools really not that great? C1 only has a year of IGCSE to sit and as an A* (takes after me hehehe) student don't want to muck that up.
- Is there a 'league table' of schools - that's assuming I can get a place as it seems they are a rarity?
- There seems to be an opinion that the utilities (I assume water & elec) are high. Besides rent is this the only other bill - i.e. no council tax etc?

I've got the gist of his package negotiation, no less than here, tax free is irrelevant, accommodation on top, school fees and medical - flights home x 6 a bonus???

I'm sure there will be many things missed but I appreciate your time to look,
cheers
Can't answer all your questions, but hope this helps.

Dubai is not the only city in the UAE, although many people outside of the country think Dubai IS the UAE. Abu Dhabi and Al Ain are worth a look.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse

Dubai is not the only city in the UAE, although many people outside of the country think Dubai IS the UAE. Abu Dhabi and Al Ain are worth a look.
Not if they work in Dubai darling..............We all know that Dubai IS the only proper city in the UAE!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Not if they work in Dubai darling..............We all know that Dubai IS the only proper city in the UAE!
It's the only fun one anyway....Abu Dhabi is a kick in the balls that just keeps on kicking.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
It's the only fun one anyway....Abu Dhabi is a kick in the balls that just keeps on kicking.
Dubai is to Abu Dhabi as Las Vegas is to Southend. Well, almost...
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:55 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Dubai is to Abu Dhabi as Las Vegas is to Southend. Well, almost...
saaaafend, is that where everyone that lives on Albert Square goes on holiday?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
You will need your marriage certificate authenticated and also your educational certificates. You need to do them before you leave the UK. Buy the Explorer book (amazon) it is a very usefull guide for newbies.

There is no way round getting married. You will not be able to put the kids in school/get visas etc without it.
You will obviously need a villa with the 6 of you and if you are going to work then you will need a housemaid.
You can get villas for 200,000dhs or less and your dewa bills will be about 1500/2000 + a month.
You have to pay an agents fee 5% and a deposit 5/10%. You should be able to get 4/6 cheques. There is a housing tax 5% of the rental price payable each month with the Dewa bill.

If the package is +housing + school fees then you should definately come over for the experience.
If you let us have more info re package and where your 'husband' will be working we will be able to help you more with areas and schools.

Welcome to the bored.

Thank you! 'Husband' is now under instruction to fly via the jewellers and bring home a big clear rock
What is the 4/6 cheques for? Given what I've read around I'm wondering if it would be better if we both applied for jobs (married of course) and then it may be easier to negotiate on 2 school fees each? These to be honest are not the biggest issue as we're paying for them in the UK anyway. Obviously the more cash in the pocket the better. Am I allowed to apply for jobs from the UK, being a girly and all? I've checked out a few agencies and besides paying around double what I would be getting here it doesn't state if I need to go with a bloke to sponsor me.
Housemaid - oooh I like the sound of that. I'm ordering the Explorers book tonight - will probably answer all my idiot questions but without the humour!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse

Dubai will be the only place. I'd like to go somewhere where I know at least one person! My cousin is out there and has been for 4 years but being a single guy he's having a wonderful time and not bothering to reply to my emails - hence me harassing this board!

Just about the property - every area seems to be a family community - is this their sales pitch where I'll end up on a nightlife/party street?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.