British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   And the rents keep dropping....... :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/rents-keep-dropping-603781/)

StublueKPL Apr 16th 2009 12:37 am

And the rents keep dropping in DXB :)

Springs villas now @80k!!!!!! (and dropping??) Dubizzle is great!

http://www.dubizzle.com/search/menu/...esearch=SEARCH

TECOM 1 bed @50-60k max
Greens 1 bed @57-65k
marina 1 bed from 55k+
JLT 1 bed from 50k

In the springs there was one or two in the past month or so hovering around 85-95k and the average for a 4E/4M was 100k but now it seems there are a lot for 80K.

And we still have the summer to come. :) I know these areas arent everyones cup of tea but for us commoners things are looking better.:p

Sorry for the guys who paid over the odds but im so glad i have held off. however, this time out i think i need to seal the deal. Getting sick of living like a vagrant!

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2009 2:28 am

Re: And the rents keep dropping....... :)

this is great news for those of us hunting for a new pad, not so great for those who invested in the last 18 months and needed the inflated prices to keep a roof over their heads though :( still we are out to bag ourselves a nice bargain too :thumbup:

commander Apr 16th 2009 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7484210)
this is great news for those of us hunting for a new pad, not so great for those who invested in the last 18 months and needed the inflated prices to keep a roof over their heads though :( still we are out to bag ourselves a nice bargain too :thumbup:

well we got our renewal through, 5% increase:rofl:

Sky Blue Apr 16th 2009 4:19 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7484286)

Me too - Was more like 20% though!!!!

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2009 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7484286)

that's the law though :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7484368)
Me too - Was more like 20% though!!!!

how come :(

niddy Apr 16th 2009 12:13 pm

I'm just waiting for the same thing to happen in Abu Dhabi late summer! I think its about to happen here.

Grace O Malley Apr 16th 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by niddy (Post 7484713)
I'm just waiting for the same thing to happen in Abu Dhabi late summer! I think its about to happen here.

Dont think so Niddy, there is still a huge shortage. When all the new towers go up, maybe.

Everyone is under the impression that there will be a mass exodus of expats once the school term finishes but I wouldn't be so sure. As far as i know none of my sons friends, year group are leaving.

I would love to move, but the prices are pretty much the same as they were 6 months ago

lanarkwitch Apr 16th 2009 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7484738)
Dont think so Niddy, there is still a huge shortage. When all the new towers go up, maybe.

Everyone is under the impression that there will be a mass exodus of expats once the school term finishes but I wouldn't be so sure. As far as i know none of my sons friends, year group are leaving.

I would love to move, but the prices are pretty much the same as they were 6 months ago

Believe around 300 not back after Easter Holidays, also believe there to be another construction cull to come around mid May, off island prices are down for definite was speaking to a landlord last week, he is splitting villas to try and rent them to break even as he can't rent them whole and that B2B a nice area, lots of availability on Raha too also we only got a 3.75% increase and thats fairly unheard of in AD, even the National reported rents down in AD this week

Eva Apr 16th 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7484738)

I agree with you Anna, no change in 'on island prices'

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch (Post 7485531)
Believe around 300 not back after Easter Holidays, also believe there to be another construction cull to come around mid May, off island prices are down for definite was speaking to a landlord last week, he is splitting villas to try and rent them to break even as he can't rent them whole and that B2B a nice area, lots of availability on Raha too also we only got a 3.75% increase and thats fairly unheard of in AD, even the National reported rents down in AD this week

LW, we can all mishmash the figures,'specially newspapers however can you
evidence a decrease in rents for properties on island?

The worrying thing imho is the majority of newcomers to UAE seem to be O&G
and education professionals.The latter usually have accommodation taken care of.....the former have big packages(cue Commander flouncing in in his Lycra tutu).So I think we will have an artificial'prop up' of rents in AD coupled with sustained premuim rates on island.Only my peseta's worth.

PS....You must love it here if yer broomstick's 'petrol only'....(kiddin)
oooh and anywhere's gotta be better than Lanark(not kiddin):)

lanarkwitch Apr 16th 2009 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7485740)

and education professionals.The latter usually have accommodation taken care of.....the former have big packages(cue Commander flouncing in in his Lycra tutu).So I think we will have an artificial'prop up' of rents in AD coupled with sustained premuim rates on island.Only my peseta's worth.

The drive into Lanark through the Clyde Valley is particularly beautiful, I have taken that journey many times on the b'stick and in the honda 1.6i, a far cry from the yaris sewing machine /hairdrier I currently charge up in the mornings.
,broomsticks are illegal here, much like my book collection and paganism in general.

I can't comment about a personal search on Island as I having lived in the arse end of the irish countryside for the last 4 years have absoutely no requirement to have anything but chickens and any other wildlife/cattle for neighbours. I work for an education company, we are recruiting at the moment and have seen that there is certainly more availability on island, given that we are looking for buildings rather than individual apartments, also seeing the banks putting "pressure" on landlords to accept more realistic rents for apartments.

Agree that you can't believe all you read in the papers, but per my current experience it seems unlikely that rents are increasing. As for your O & G comments, I can't comment on that at all as I have no insight into the industry. All I can say is that we have a villa we are happy with off island at only 3.75% increase for this year.

Interested strangely in commanders tutu though........:eek:

TGFKASE Apr 16th 2009 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7485740)

I'm hurt you left me out there.. My package is just as big as commanders....:p

lanarkwitch Apr 16th 2009 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7485812)

And so it begins..........I am deliberately not using any smiley with an open mouth......

Eva Apr 16th 2009 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch (Post 7485802)
The drive into Lanark through the Clyde Valley is particularly beautiful, I have taken that journey many times on the b'stick and in the honda 1.6i, a far cry from the yaris sewing machine /hairdrier I currently charge up in the mornings.Indeed it is and no shortage of tomatoes..or do you say tomaetos ..en route.The Popinjay used to offer excellent purvey I recall...,broomsticks are illegal here, much like my book collection and paganism in general.
Oh, are you the wicker lady?? Not Alan's wife but the lady who does the whitewitch stuff whom Benzonar advised? I can't comment about a personal search on Island as I having lived in the arse end of the irish countryside for the last 4 years have absoutely no requirement to have anything but chickens and any other wildlife/cattle for neighbours.
Well, I have this fat cow living next door to me(when I'm there in our Co house-chickens run amok..bloody vermin)She's mean!
I work for an education company, Nord Anglia?
we are recruiting at the moment and have seen that there is certainly more availability on island, given that we are looking for buildings rather than individual apartments(there's one on 28th between 11 and 13 but 350 per apartment) , also seeing the banks putting "pressure" on landlords to accept more realistic rents for apartments.

Agree that you can't believe all you read in the papers, but per my current experience it seems unlikely that rents are increasing.(OBR says the demand won't be met til 2010 even with slump) As for your O & G comments, I can't comment on that at all as I have no insight into the industry. All I can say is that we have a villa we are happy with off island at only 3.75% increase for this year. (good deal....but overpriced to begin with therefore levelling?given the number of vacant properties off island?)
Interested strangely in commanders tutu though........:eek:

See his avi....Allegedly, he's got red hair.He should be in burgundy,crimson etc not turquoise...just my humble opinion,I know he'd never do green....

Eva Apr 16th 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7485812)

Well you have been a.w.o.l....getting yourself into the Quiz Hall of Fame, etc
annnnnnnnnd...yer sporran was flatly parked on the thread with that wicked Cleri et al asking you to declare yer tartan!!!

TGFKASE Apr 16th 2009 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7485849)
Well you have been a.w.o.l....getting yourself into the Quiz Hall of Fame, etc
annnnnnnnnd...yer sporran was flatly parked on the thread with that wicked Cleri et al asking you to declare yer tartan!!!

What can I tell ya...

Things have been quiet of late in the old Sandpit so I decided to spread my ulna and radii....

And, since Im currently ensconced in the largest contiguous state of the good ole U S of A, I'll probably head down to the Trailer Park, just to say 'Hi y'all...'