British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Renting Property (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/renting-property-442568/)

justin riseborough Apr 16th 2007 3:37 pm

Renting Property

Hi there all.

Am a new member to the forum. Am currently considering positions to come and join you all out in Dubai, and cannot wait.

Unfortunately, not knowing where I am going to be based yet, but was hoping people might be able to send me links to some leasing agents in Dubai so that I can start my homework early, emailing site links would be appreciated, have looked at some (Landmark, DB Homes).

Next will be looking at schools as am bringing my wife and children with me.

Any other additional advice that you could possibly give would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Justin:thumbup:

Jammy_Dodgers Apr 16th 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Renting Property

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4650085)
Hi there all.

Am a new member to the forum. Am currently considering positions to come and join you all out in Dubai, and cannot wait.

Unfortunately, not knowing where I am going to be based yet, but was hoping people might be able to send me links to some leasing agents in Dubai so that I can start my homework early, emailing site links would be appreciated, have looked at some (Landmark, DB Homes).

Many thanks

Firstly, try to negotiate with your company to pay for the first 2 months accomodation...thats pretty standard around there parts.

Best thing to do, check out Dubizzle.com
That will give you an idea of what is available and at what price.

It would help if you knew where you will be working as ideally its best to be closer to your office due to a w@nk road network and crazy-arse drivers

NorthernLad Apr 16th 2007 3:43 pm

Hi there all.

Many thanks

Could try http://www.gulfnews.com/classifieds/index.html

Madam Medusa Apr 16th 2007 3:44 pm

Check out this website too - it is mainly people advertising direct, so no agents fees, and they ensure that the listings are up to date which many of the other sites don't...
http://www.dubaipropertymatch.com/se...tatus=Landlord

How old are your kids? schools really do depend on where you live, but many have waiting lists so you would need to get moving...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 3:45 pm

Hi there all.

Many thanks

Welcome Justin! make sure you get a good contract with your new employer. Jammy is right, find out where your office is first and then work backwards from there! You need to start looking at schools ASAP. I will post a link to them all in a minute. Everything comes down to money out here unfortunately. Get as much housing allowance as you can, your gonna need it !!!

BC

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 3:46 pm

http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/index.asp

schools link, there are more but these are the more established ones. Emaar are opening another three in september but I don't know anything about them.

justin riseborough Apr 16th 2007 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4650114)
Check out this website too - it is mainly people advertising direct, so no agents fees, and they ensure that the listings are up to date which many of the other sites don't...
http://www.dubaipropertymatch.com/se...tatus=Landlord

How old are your kids? schools really do depend on where you live, but many have waiting lists so you would need to get moving...

MM, xx

My son is 12 (year 7) and my daughter is 10 (year 5)

W10 Apr 16th 2007 5:07 pm

Lets hope they are better run and cheaper than their property!

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4650513)
Lets hope they are better run and cheaper than their property!

are you daft!!! course they won't be !!

W10 Apr 16th 2007 5:11 pm

True...Emaar - our education is as good as our construction...

What next - Nakheel to run degrees in public communication? The RTA to run courses in forward planning?

Blue Cat Apr 16th 2007 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4650529)
True...Emaar - our education is as good as our construction...

What next - Nakheel to run degrees in public communication? The RTA to run courses in forward planning?

LOL!!

justin riseborough Apr 16th 2007 8:57 pm

Might be a bit of a long shot, but could anybody advise as to what the rough guide would be to utility costs, with two kids and wife in the property with me

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 5:43 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 4651712)
Might be a bit of a long shot, but could anybody advise as to what the rough guide would be to utility costs, with two kids and wife in the property with me

we have a two bed apartment - 300 dhs a month. In our villa we were paying 800 dhs a month, but it can vary. For some reason it is higher at the new developments.

Madam Medusa Apr 17th 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4653079)
we have a two bed apartment - 300 dhs a month. In our villa we were paying 800 dhs a month, but it can vary. For some reason it is higher at the new developments.

omg, that is really cheap...ours is more 2-3k I think, but this includes the 5% Dewa charge.

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2007 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4653590)
omg, that is really cheap...ours is more 2-3k I think, but this includes the 5% Dewa charge.

MM, xx

my friend has a 4 bed on the lakes big garden 2500. I honetly think it depends where you live. and if you have a pool can be a consideration as well?