Renting in Dubai

Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Ian76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Renting in Dubai

I'm a 33-year old, single Brit moving to Dubai in the near future, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good, reliable estate/letting agent.

I've seen a few sites, but they're all trying to rent places that aren't built yet or are in the middle of being built - I'm not planning on flying a couple of thousand miles to end up living in a construction site!

I'll be working in the WTC, so somewhere fairly central to town or Western end of the highway would be ideal. Also, i'm not a city banker, so won't be looking to hemorrhage cash on a place i'll be moving out of in 3 years!!!

As i say if anyone can post some links or useful web addresses, it would be most appreciated. Also, if anyone has any contact details for expat clubs/organisations in the area, that would also be great.

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:02 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Dubai

Originally Posted by Ian76
I'm a 33-year old, single Brit moving to Dubai in the near future, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good, reliable estate/letting agent.

I've seen a few sites, but they're all trying to rent places that aren't built yet or are in the middle of being built - I'm not planning on flying a couple of thousand miles to end up living in a construction site!

I'll be working in the WTC, so somewhere fairly central to town or Western end of the highway would be ideal. Also, i'm not a city banker, so won't be looking to hemorrhage cash on a place i'll be moving out of in 3 years!!!

As i say if anyone can post some links or useful web addresses, it would be most appreciated. Also, if anyone has any contact details for expat clubs/organisations in the area, that would also be great.

Thanks
Try http://www.dubizzle.com/
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
A couple of points , Dubai is a construction site end off , the biggest unfinished construction site in the world so if you don't like tower cranes and unfinished high rise buildings it's not the place for you fella.

The average life cycle of a 'western-expat' in Dubai is now probably 3 weeks 4 days and 6 hours........President Obama couldn't secure 3 years work in Dubai.

Good luck!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks NorthernLad - will check out the site.

*Edit* - Next noob question; what do all the different property 'types' signify? Looking at some of the rental ads, there are various places classified by Type, with either a number or letter, or a number AND a letter...very confusing!

Last edited by Ian76; Apr 27th 2010 at 9:36 am.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Thanks NorthernLad - will check out the site.

As for working out there, I've got a guaranteed 3-year contract as a minimum so just goes to show that American presidents ain't all they're cracked up to be.......
I was guaranteed a minimum bonus payment per year and just got zero for the last two years. So do not take anything here very seriously.
Good luck with the job.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:06 am
Just Joined

My work is guaranteed - unless the entire shipping industry decides to pull out of the Persian Gulf in the next 3 years, i have nothing to worry about...
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

My work is guaranteed - unless the entire shipping industry decides to pull out of the Persian Gulf in the next 3 years, i have nothing to worry about...
My work was guaranteed 4 years ago unless the entire construction industry decided to pull out of the biggest fastest growing construction market in the world.........And it did...!!

Do your research on Dubai and phrases like "guaranteed work'" and "nothing to worry about" will become distant rose tinted memories.

Good luck in any case
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got a notice period as long as the remainder of that 3 year contract then?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:47 am
Just Joined

I'll be based in Dubai, looking after our operations all over Africa, India and the Gulf - It's our Head Office for a regional division spanning 2 continents. Like i say, unless someone comes up with a better mode of transport than international shipping, i won't be getting my P45 anytime soon.

On the subject of P45, can someone please explain what the different property "type" codes mean?

Cheers
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:57 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be based in Dubai, looking after our operations all over Africa, India and the Gulf - It's our Head Office for a regional division spanning 2 continents. Like i say, unless someone comes up with a better mode of transport than international shipping, i won't be getting my P45 anytime soon.

On the subject of P45, can someone please explain what the different property "type" codes mean?

Cheers
What type of codes are you referring to? Number of bedrooms perhaps...

If you search Dubizzle as suggested above, you'll find a mass of offerings.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:15 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Many villa's were built to a 'type' design. Emirates Hills, Sports City etc..

If you specify the development and code, someone might be able to answer you...
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Many villa's were built to a 'type' design. Emirates Hills, Sports City etc..

If you specify the development and code, someone might be able to answer you...
or do a google search for the property location and type - there are floorplans on a lot of the developers and real estate agents websites.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys - typically, having re-searched dubizzle, i can't find any of those pesky codes!!

Still, lots on offer there so will wade through and see what i can find.

Are there any specific areas where the expat 'communities' are bigger than others, or does it tend to be spread across the area? I've got plenty of experience of Dubai and it's social life, but that's as a visitor and not a resident, so not too sure where the residential 'centres' are.

Cheers
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - typically, having re-searched dubizzle, i can't find any of those pesky codes!!

Still, lots on offer there so will wade through and see what i can find.

Are there any specific areas where the expat 'communities' are bigger than others, or does it tend to be spread across the area? I've got plenty of experience of Dubai and it's social life, but that's as a visitor and not a resident, so not too sure where the residential 'centres' are.

Cheers
Depends what you are looking for really..
- Quiet Sophistication
- Family Living
- Find as many air hostesses as you can in 6 months
- Drink as much beer as you can in 6 months
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

If you are working in the WTC then check out their serviced apartments. I don't know how much they cost to rent but they are inclusive of everything including cleaning service and facilities and you won't have to pay the housing tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.