Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

renting direct from landlord

renting direct from landlord

Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:40 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renting direct from landlord

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Because he wants to rent out his property and have deposits, references, legalities etc... sorted out by someone else?
exactly!!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:23 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dilmun
Nope.
If you go to a real estate agent in the rest of the world to find a place to rent, it is usually you, who has to pay the fee. And why not. A good agent will not only show you several places, but can also give you advice about neighborhood, schools etc.pp. A good agent will make a proper rental agreement in your interest, he will do the handover and help you with subscription for water,electricity, telephone aso.
So, why should a landlord pay for these services???
In the UK the landlord will pay the agent a cut of the monthly rental amount to the agent. The percentage can vary from 3 - 10 percent, depending on what services they are providing you and is obviously negotiable (but it still feels like being mugged)..

Oh and very few agents will act as just an introducer, ie find someone to rent your place for a nominal fee and then step away. The ongoing cut of the monthly rental is after all how they make their money....

It does vary from country to country though, in Norway for example, it is very unusual for an agent to be involved in a rental agreement at all. Most people will advertise and do the deal directly.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:12 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Quick related question... has anyone used Better Homes? Seems a very professional organization but one never can tell around here.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Because he wants to rent out his property and have deposits, references, legalities etc... sorted out by someone else?
I guess it's a question of demand. If there are not enough properties on the market than (of course) it is up to the tenant to proof, that he/she is the right one for that property.
In Germany f.x. it depends on in which area you're looking for a place to rent. In some parts the landlord is paying, because he is happy when he finds someone eligible. But in other parts the tenant has to pay the agent up to 2,5 monthly rents+VAT, because the demand is high and it is difficult to find anything without an agent.
And again, if someone is spending days with you driving from A-B to show you several possibilities, gives you advice on what to do or not to do and helps you with the general set-up (water, el, TV, Internet, Telephone), why should someone else pay for it?
I wouldn't dare to ask for a service I am not willing to pay.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:13 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Quick related question... has anyone used Better Homes? Seems a very professional organization but one never can tell around here.
I know the owners and top management well...and my ex is a commercial leasing agent (qualified and everything).

They are generally good...but they are let down by landlords more than anything else.

N.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:43 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sg800
When I was looking before 12 months ago one agent I used refused to negotiate with the landlord as they 'werent on the best terms with him' and did not even do so much as open a door for me - they got security to let me in. And then wanted 5%
And people like that deserve absolutely nothing...I'm talking about agents who help you from start to finish and make the whole process a lot easier - they do exist, like honest lawyers, decent financial advisors and tea total Irishmen

And hard working people deserve to be rewarded. I tip good waiters, I give extra to decent cabbies and I would happily pay an agent to sort my housing out if they did it well.

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Are you saying its only right that the commission is paid by the tenant?

If I didn't know better, Id say you had changed career paths....
It comes from the tenant like it or not. Either directly or the Landlord will factor it on the rent and pay it after.

I know some excellent agents who will even check back after a few months to see how things are going. Some who help with setting up utilities, even advising on schools and where to get decent furniture...

N.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
they are not bad but are guilty of inflating prices, often the same property they are flouting is with another agent for 10k less