Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rent increase laws

Rent increase laws

Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:18 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent increase laws

Originally Posted by GarethR
I have seen it cited in the newspapers several times that after the same tenant has been in a property for three years, the landlord has a right to increase the rent to "market value", irrespective of whatever rent cap happens to be in place at the time.

So under the current rent laws, it would be more like :

Year 1 - rent agreed
Year 2 - rent as year 1
Year 3 - rent raised in accordance with rent cap at that time
Year 4 - market rate

Mind you, that's the rent law as it specifically applies to Dubai, not Abu Dhabi.
well - I'll be able to tell you exactly what happens soon - will be renewing for year 4 in about 1 month from now. If they hit us with so called market value I'll freak out...
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:59 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on your landlord... they might have the right to shove a splintery stick up your arse after three years, but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily exercise it.

Do you feel lucky?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Dubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really niceDubai Knight is just really nice

Our landlord never even gave us 1 year!

Unfortunately we were sharing with a guy who's company had taken the lease. The villa is attached and the landlord owns the entire block. The lease for the villa next door expires at the end of Feb and we were given notice to vacate after only 7 months as he plans to demolish the entire street (beautiful 35 year old mature gardens and everything!) and put 10 villas around a shared pool in the space where there are currently only 4. He will then charge 3 times the price per property as we are paying now!

Luckily, we found a nice place not far away for a reasonable price. Still a rip off, but not bad for Dubai.

:curse::curse::curse:

Knight
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

even though the construction noise does my head in near my place, it won't go on forever and I feel lucky that we are only paying 85k
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
even though the construction noise does my head in near my place, it won't go on forever and I feel lucky that we are only paying 85k
where do you live?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelynv
where do you live?
On the TECOM Land near the Greens
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

whats TECOM?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:43 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by angelynv
whats TECOM?

A company who owns all the land in Media City and the land where my apartment is
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Have you moved ???
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:01 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Have you moved ???
nope been here 18 months
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

nope been here 18 months
I thought you were in Al Barsha or that the same place ???
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:42 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
I thought you were in Al Barsha or that the same place ???
same place
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
well - I'll be able to tell you exactly what happens soon - will be renewing for year 4 in about 1 month from now. If they hit us with so called market value I'll freak out...
No the market rate is not what the landlord decides - but what RERA decides, and it has not yet been implemented. The 5% cap is the law until then.

This is my 13th tenancy contract renewal

PS: The landlord tried to sneak in some service charges (think 3000 dhs). My husband was going to pay it as he didn't want to argue about "such a small amount". I didn't let him pay it - so when he gave the rent cheques the manager was telling him in an indirect sort of way that our maintenance might suffer - "if you call for maintenance staff, they might be a delay attending your call sir".

I've called maintenance about 3-4 times, and they've come within 5 minutes. Little does the Manager know that I tip them handsomely - might as well use the service charges to tip them........

Last edited by IndieG; Jan 29th 2008 at 12:56 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Barty63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got a 5% increase which is fine. But he put 10% Service Charge on top, even though maintenance and stuff is all documented in the regular rent contract. This is my 5th Year and he never charged me the Service Charge. Is this right ? Is this just a scam to put it up +15% ?

How would the Rent Committee view this etc.... ?

Mike
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
Can someone explain what happens after the 24 months - for example, would this happen?

Year 1 - Rent agreed
Year 2 - Rent + 5%
Year 3 - Market rate

OR is it...

Year 1 - Rent agreed
Year 2 - Rent + 5%
Year 3 - Rent + 5%
Year 4 - Market rate.

I'm in the second lease year, I don't fancy a 100% rent increase this June when my lease runs out! But thats Abu Dhabi for you.
ad rent is different, its 5% increase first year second year etc and market rates after 3 years in property etc, in dubai you get no increase first year 5% second year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.